Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ha!

Am not surprised he gets more respect, after shooting jackrabbits with a .460 Weatherby....

Yeah, he’s really hard on those poor ole jackwabbits.

DF

grin

Ain't notoriety a b!@#h?

grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AKWolverine,

The A-Square company introduced the 6.5-06 as a SAAMi commerical cartridge in 1997, but it died with the company in 2012.

The 6.5 PRC is essentially a short-action 6.5-06, since the powder capacity is just about identical.

IIRC, A-Square also had a 6.5-308, but Rem got it thru the SAAMI somehow before, wonder if they had to pay royalties.

If Hornady brings out a round, they do things right, twist, marketing, quality ammo at decent prices.

When Rem did the 260, they hamstrung it, 9 twist, marginal sub-par ammo in accuracy and speed, and not decent prices.

Had Hornady done the 6.5-308 they would have had an 8 twist, quality affordable ammo, and might have used a 25 or 30 degree shoulder......

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
3” actions would have solved a lot of issues, would be about perfect for .260, .257R, Swede, 6mm Rem to name a few. The 2.8” SA limited a number of good rounds. The Creed craze was birthed to serve SA’s using modern, long bullets.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
3" is a little short for the 6.5x55, one reason it's primarily a favorite among rifle loonies who "build" custom rifles.

Mine is on a commercial FN 98 action, with a pretty short-throated chamber and 3.35" magazine box, which leaves plenty of room for any bullet.

Might also mention that no, the 6.5x55 doesn't have anywhere near the powder capacity of the 6.5-06--around 16% less, depending on the throat, brass, etc. So its capable of about 100 fps less at the same pressures, with the same bullets.

But as I've pointed out elsewhere, most handloaders tend to be obsessed with adding another 100 fps (or more) of muzzle velocity. But with "standard" spitzer soft-points, that advantage diminishes rapidly out where the deer and antelope play. For some hunters, it makes more sense to add 100+ fps out where the bullet actually lands on 'em.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My FN 98, Swede with 23" Shilen in McWoody Edge. Great combo, action and round.

DF

[Linked Image]

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nice rifle!

My FN 6,5x55 Norwegian/Swede, with 21" Lilja and New Zealand walnut stock:

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That’s nice.

Classic lines, well executed. What’s not to like.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Not John, obviously.

With the Creed, Swede, 6.5 PRC, 6.5-284, .260, 6.5x47, .264, etc..., don't know why the market would demand (or have room for) a 6.5-06.

The twist offered with the new rounds are a big part of their success with new, high B.C. bullets.

What would a 6.5-06 twist be? If not at least 8, forget it.

IMO,

DF

Funny that one of the oldest that does every bit most of the others in a proper action is considered not in demand. Twist is what you make it and I think manufactures are figuring out the current "desires". I see 10# short actioned rifles being quite popular.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The one thing that nobody has addressed thus far is the fact that most folks who have a 6.5/06 use .25/06 brass. The down side is that if one's .25/06 has a slightly oversize neck, then 6.5/06 ammo could potentually be chambered. IIRC, this was related to me by Ray Montgomery of Co.

For this reason, when I made mine, I specified mine being chambered to 6.5/64 Brenneke. (a.k.a. 6.5x.270) OK, so it's a silly millimeter longer... But at least it won't chamber in a .25/06 smile

For that reason, I would doubt that the major arms makers will ever make a factory 6.5/06. BTW, they load fine in .65/06 dies... - G.H.

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's one of the reasons I'd do a 6.5-.270 if ever building another "6.5-06." The other is that I got better accuracy when necking .270 brass down than necking .25-06 up, because that avoids the small "donut" at the base of the neck, due to the thicker brass at the top of .25-06 shoulders becoming part of the 6.5-06 neck. But I doubt there's another 6.5-06 in my future, since my 6.5 PRC shoots so well, both with handloads and factory ammo.

Despite all the debate over various 6.5 cartridges today, there are real reasons for the popularity of newer 6.5 rounds. One is consistent chamber throats, which vary considerably in older rounds like the 6.5x55, even in modern rifles (which is why 6.5x55 factory ammo varies considerably). Which is why I had the custom 6.5x55 pictured above chambered with a slightly shorter throat than SAAMI standard.

Then there's the .260: Even some factory rifles have magazines that won't handle some "standard" hunting bullets seated to the lands. Which is why my .260 has a customized magazine 2.95 inches long.

Yeah, I know nobody on the Campfire admits to using factory ammo, but one reason for the 6.5 Creedmoor's popularity is excellent (and relatively inexpensive) factory ammo that can be purchased almost anywhere, including Wal-Marts and even the local ranch-supply store in my little Montana town. Or even South Africa. One of my African PH friends owns a big sporting goods store in Kimberley, and reports around 3/4 of the new rifles he sells these days are 6.5 Creedmoors. One of my American friends (a Campfire member) who hunts Africa every year reports the same thing from other store owners.

Which brings up problems with resuscitating the 6.5-06 a factory round. First, it's still primarily a wildcat, even with the A-Square adventure, and gunsmiths who build wildcats often have their own ideas about chamber-throat conformation, which would make producing factory ammo somewhat problematic. Two, with all the factory 6.5's already on the market, including some selling very well, why would any rifle manufacturer bother taking the risk?

John Steinbeck
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Switch
Originally Posted by vapodog
The 6.5-06 has something the others don't.....a very large pile of 270 and .30-06 brass sitting in buckets all over the country.....that's an advantage that is hard to ignore.....and just might be the reason no one makes ammo for it.....it won't sell well with all the "free" brass out there.

But let's be practical....what do we get from a 6.5-06 (regardless of twist) that we don't get from a .25-06 or even the venerable old.270?....and I mean advantages that the "run of the mill" hunter can actually make use of!

yea, yea, yea.....I know.....since when did practicality have anything to do with it? I have used the 6.5 X 55, the .260 Rem, and the .264 Win Mag.....and frankly haven't seen any real advantage one over the other in the field.

I have to hand it to Hornady.....seems their marketing folks could sell ice cubes to eskimos!

I've been telling my Creemoor shooting friends this for a long time, but they think the 6.5 is magic, I'll stick to the gay old 270!

I have one old "closet" .270 that I put together on a Springfield action back in the '60's when I was young and before I "knew"... blush

Vintage McGowen SS barrel, Timney, French Walnut Herter stock, etc. Shoots good.

Never killed a critter with it, always shooting "cooler" stuff, like one of my various 6.5's... cool

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Classic rifle, you should take it afield just to old times sake! It's a beauty!

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It is beautiful for sure, I bet that rifle would like to go hunting!!!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco
It is beautiful for sure, I bet that rifle would like to go hunting!!!

John and Switch, thanks for those kind words.

It has always been somewhat of a step child, patiently waiting it's turn from the back of the safe.

You're right, it does deserve field time, maybe this Fall.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice rifle!

My FN 6,5x55 Norwegian/Swede, with 21" Lilja and New Zealand walnut stock:

[Linked Image]

That's a very nice looking rig, JB. What's that scope, iif I may ask?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's a 2-7x Leupold Compact, one of the older VX models. Used it for a while, then realized that (per usual) I never turned it off 7x, so replaced it was an M8 6x33 Compact.

John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by 340boy
Ha!

Am not surprised he gets more respect, after shooting jackrabbits with a .460 Weatherby....

DF

grin

Ain't notoriety a b!@#h?

grin

Yes,it is! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a 2-7x Leupold Compact, one of the older VX models. Used it for a while, then realized that (per usual) I never turned it off 7x, so replaced it was an M8 6x33 Compact.

Thanks for the reply, JB! That's a nice scope. cool

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 340boy
Ha!

DF

grin

Ain't notoriety a b!@#h?

grin

Yes,it is! smile

I keep wondering when you are going to upgrade your jackrabbit arsenal, Ken-505 Gibbs maybe? laugh

James Elroy Flecker

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Now, today, is my first time to read any of this thread. It's raining here.... bored.

Gun doc on P 2 said,

Originally Posted by GunDoc7

You don't get anything much until you get to ranges most of us don't shoot, and fewer of us should shoot at game . . .!

and then HawkI said here on P 3

Originally Posted by HawkI

It's exactly what some of those who don't guffaw over the Creedmoor have stated; most hunters or shooters wont and can't use it to any greater advantage than a 25/06 or 270 and going to lighter bullets for less recoil isn't going to make two bits worth under the ranges most are comfortable with.

These summarize my position on Xtr Hi BCs, even at moderate velocities. Even when I hunted deer leases there were FEW places to get a decent shot past 400 yds. Yes, I saw deer at 500 & + yds but they were moving and there were bushes, saplings etc that precluded an UNobstructed target.

Since 2012 I hunt property where I could/can get an OPEN shot up to 400 yds.....SO, what advantage is it to me... and Gun Doc & Hawk hit the nail on the head about MANY of us hunters.

I like and appreciate the 6.5-06 but it doesn't fill any gap that I have.

Jerry

On to P 4 smile

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 5sdad
With the hysteria that seems to have developed over the terrible disadvantages posed by long cartridges and their accompanying long actions, it seems doubtful.

5's comment is merit worthy too.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 44 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,395
Posts18,469,994
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.