Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
It is ironic that Skull Bound TV just had an episode on how much work actually goes into baiting bear.

Have you seen Jim's footage of the sow chasing the boar up the tree? It is some really great footage. I'll see if I can find it online and post it here. If not I'll have him send me it.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I haven't.
But I would love to and I will.
A stunning animal.
Because I love democracy, don't care who disagrees. My opinion is my right.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
It is ironic that Skull Bound TV just had an episode on how much work actually goes into baiting bear.

It is a major PITA! And expensive.

No doubt it is. But I won't confuse the work of baiting with the satisfaction of a bear hunt on their terms.

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yeah I watched that one. I likes the video of the Grizzlies mating too.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Originally Posted by ironbender
Surprising the ignorance of some hunters.

Some odd stuff isn't it?

With all do respect, cause there are a couple cool Alaskans, if your eaten bear, you are fuucking HUNGRY!!! I guess I grew up in a different time/way.....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve never hunted bear...Seen several. Scoped a few with a tag in my pocket as apart of a “Sportsman Pack” which is a collection of fur, feathers and fishing tags bought under one price point...How would a fall coastal black bear taste? I’ve only eaten bear sausage which was darn good...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I’ve never hunted bear...Seen several. Scoped a few with a tag in my pocket as apart of a “Sportsman Pack” which is a collection of fur, feathers and fishing tags bought under one price point...How would a fall coastal black bear taste? I’ve only eaten bear sausage which was darn good...😎

I'm not into eating anything that's been eating fish, except other fish. Interior bears that have been eating berries are good to go though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know quite a few folks that consider black bear their favorite meat. It is seriously good stuff when eating "clean" feed.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah I watched that one. I likes the video of the Grizzlies mating too.

He has so much good footage. I just wish he and I were home more so we could hunt more.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know quite a few folks that consider black bear their favorite meat. It is seriously good stuff when eating "clean" feed.

My family and I prefer eating the black bears I get here in Michigan over deer.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

I'm not into eating anything that's been eating fish, except other fish. Interior bears that have been eating berries are good to go though.

The Blacky’s I’ve run into are all berries and what ever meat they can roundup. Haven’t seen one trying to catch a salmon yet. Thanks for that information. I was understanding that a fall bear was holding a lot of fat making it a greasy spoon compared to a spring Bear that is trying to put on a few pounds..,Thanks again. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It's my favorite.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Judman
if your eaten bear, you are fuucking HUNGRY!!!

All the bear I’ve had around here tasted like sh it.

I’m sure it’s a regional thing depending on diet though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tag....
Still trying to learn if shoot’n a Black Bear on a fall tag, that’s diet is mainly berries and whatever it can scrounge up in the woods would be worth the effort. I don’t need a rug. Good food would be my only reason to hunt one. Emphasis on Good. 😎

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

That is for sure. Will be doing it again this year in Michigan's UP. Takes a lot of time too

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tag....
Still trying to learn if shoot’n a Black Bear on a fall tag, that’s diet is mainly berries and whatever it can scrounge up in the woods would be worth the effort. I don’t need a rug. Good food would be my only reason to hunt one. Emphasis on Good. 😎

If you like berries....

Fall bears can smell like blueberries, color the meat blue from berries, and be sweet like berries. They have enough fat on them to make rendering the fat worthwhile.

Spring bears of course, have generally not been eating fish, are much leaner, but are still tasty and tender. Well worth the effort, IMO&E.

Plus a hide to tan and hang, or rug. Also a nice skull.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
ironbender;
Good evening to you sir, I trust that this first weekend in spring 2019 finds you and your fine family well.

Speaking personally, and how else could I logically I suppose, it's one of the more interesting aspects of the 'Fire to me seeing how different hunters from their own areas view other hunters' methods and animals hunted.

Having lived in a couple rather diverse locales I can see how easily that would take place should a person either not move about or get involved with local wildlife management issues.

For instance where I lived in northern Saskatchewan the black bears accounted for more than 30% of the moose calf mortality, so the DNR encouraged bear hunting there to ease pressure on moose.

Here in BC we're positively swimming in black bears and while we've hunted them in the past, have not done so for a few years and really and truly should get back at it.

As far as the flavor of the meat, as you've stated, if they're eating sweet food, black bears can be some of the best wild protein one can ever encounter.

We have an "early private land" season here which allows orchardists and vineyards to cull problem bears as the fruit begins to ripen. A contractor buddy shot a small problem bear as a favor for a vineyard one year and the meat smelled like it was marinated in good red wine.

He gave us a back leg and the top of the rump was boned out, properly seasoned, pan seared and then slow roasted. Honestly after a lifetime of eating wild game it stands out as one of the absolute top meals we've ever made.

That said, a garbage eater or fish bear makes even the most talented sausage maker have fits....

Obligatory bear photo.
[Linked Image]

To the OP, I'd suggest that all that appears on TV isn't as it appears and actual hunting of several creatures is tougher than it looks.

After all, if I was to gauge how hard it was to hunt whitetails from watching hunting videos.... well anyway I've hunted whitetails quite a bit - so I won't do that. wink

All the best to you and yours this spring ironbender.

Dwayne

PS;
The local Wally World now carries the "hat and gloves" which I became addicted too so long ago. Thought of you when I bought some and thanks again sir!

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2

No doubt it is. But I won't confuse the work of baiting with the satisfaction of a bear hunt on their terms.

Get off your high horse and stop being elitist.

You obviously don't read anything else on this thread.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tag....

The fall bears my son and I have taken have all tasted great! They've been feeding primarily on berries, and have a deep red, rich meat.

The hide and skull are pretty cool reminders of the hunt too, but the meat alone can be very good.

Best of luck on your hunt!

Regards, Guy

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 1,740 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,124
Posts18,522,957
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.