Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm a lever guy. I have a few Savage 99s, several Marlins, a Henry, and some Winchester's.

The blr has never really interested me. But I almost feel like I should have one. In either 7mm-08 or .300wsm.

For the guys that have them, what do you like about them? What don't you like?

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are lots of them in this neck of the woods.

- They work very well, and are dependable.
- While they're not a target gun they are very much so accurate enough for hunting and have a great mag system, in fact it's the best detachable mag system I've seen on any rifle..
- The trigger is a bit long & heavy.
- The comb is low and thus require the lowest possible scope mounts with a straight tube scope for best ergos.
- The mags for the pre 81 are crazy expensive. The BLR 81 with the steel receiver would be my first choice by a long shot. The later versions came with alloy receivers.

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I almost feel like I should have one. In either 7mm-08 or .300wsm.

- I'd choose a 308 or at least a 308 based case over all others.
- The long action BLRs are stoopid heavy and should be avoided.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
They are just nice.

I have the lighting model, chambered in 30-06. It shoulders nice for me, carries easy with the slab sides.

I have never scoped it. I liked the sights on it, but that was a dozen or more years ago. Now my eye sight has changed and I might need to scope it someday.... I don’t box/blind hunt in ND.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
It would definitely be scoped.

As I have more "traditional" levers that I leave open sighted.

This rifle would be used just like my bolts, primarily as an out to 300 yard deer rifle.

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 03/21/19.

In God We Trust.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a newer one in 308 with straight stock. Rifle is light and balances perfectly. Just feels really natural and balanced when you shoulder it. I put a VX2 2-7 on it and seems like a great fit. I haven't developed handloads yet but plain factory 150 grain core lokts shoot pretty well, roughly 1 - 1 1/4" groups. The only negative is the trigger. It is heavy and has a lot of creep. If intended to shoot 300 yards, i would get a trigger job. I'm hoping the trigger smoothes out as it wears in over time. This has nothing to with function but i do wish the stock had an oil finish instead of the thick glossy finish they use.

Last edited by mikestaten; 03/21/19.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I owned a 308 and wish I hadn't traded it off. An easy rifle to carry and mine shot very well. I'll own another one someday.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one in 450 Marlin Mag.

Easy moa with factory Hornady ftx.

Just hammers stuff

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The only one that interests me now is the takedown model, and I think I'll get over that one in time. Brian Pearce is pretty positive on these, little quirks and all, and he loves traditional lever guns and doesn't tolerate junk.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I use 3 of them, 2 takedowns. I take them down all the time.
The trigger is not adjustable but you will get used to it and it can be altered by a gunsmith if not.
I am horseback alot and carry it either in a split scabbard or assembled in a off side scabbard. On the takedowns I have Scout scopes and poi is very reliable, as good as any of my rifles about holding. A long eye relief scope takes a little getting used to at first and now wish my other rifles had them. I can even bore sight my takedowns.
I am a levergun guy anyways, but this has few disadvantages to any turn bolt rifle. It is my Bighorn/ elk rifle. Well...you asked my opinion. I only wish other rifle makers would produce competing models.
Also, the action is front locking, it is a lever operated bolt action design. High intensity rounds are welcome, and my .270 wcf is as high pressure as any round on the market- no glitches at all .Works/ cycles as well as my short actions- maybe better.
If you want a big bore you can get it in the .450 Marlin. It really performs and bullet selection is nearly unlimited. I have one too.Good luck.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had a nice '81 BLR in .358 and it was super nice. My local smith ( before he retired) did the trigger job thing on it and it was a shooter. Unfortunately, it couldn't compete with my tricked out 35 Whelen AI I had at the time. I hunted with a friend and his dad one year for cow elk. It was late season, really cold and the dad used a BLR in 30-06. Now, being raised with a Mod 94 Classic carbine, that particular BLR/'06 was one ugly devil, ha. But it worked just fine and he loved it, so that's whats important. Also, the shiny factory finish on the stock is surprisingly super tough! It can be buffed down with some steel wool/elbow grease, but Its never been proven ( in my own experience) to me that a shiny rifle has hurt anyone but Snipers! smile

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm going to go look at a 7mm-08 on Saturday.

-Jake

In God We Trust.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i own 3 BLR`S all S.S. all 3 shoot excellent 308 win,300 win mag,7mm rem mag,i do have 1 more on order a SS 30-06 takedown BLR

Last edited by pete53; 03/21/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Only one here, '79 BLR in .358 Win. I got 1.25" with the primary load development using Hornady 200g SP's and quit. I'm sorely tempted, now that I have some 200g NAB's to revisit development for this little dandy.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I too had a BLR 81 in 358. Once I had a trigger job it was a good shooter 1-1.25 with a good load. I mostly shot 200hsp. It was a handy carrying gun. I originally had it scoped but found the stock had to much drop for a good cheek weld and was slow to aquire a target ( I mostly used it for still hunting and tracking in the snow where quick shooting sometimes happens). I didn't know at the time (1990) that there were plenty of ways to add some height to the stock for a better fit. In the end I changed over to a Williams peep. wonderful package, wish I had it back.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I owned a BLR 81, in .243. It was a great shooter. I used it for called-in coyotes, with a reduced load. I also shot a few deer with it over the years. It was a nice rifle and was very accurate, but I did not like the fact that I could not break it down all the way to clean it. I got rid of it. That Henry Long Ranger, or whatever they call it, looks real interesting, also. It looks like a Browning.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I just looked at one too. I liked it. They'er pretty proud of them though.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I'm going to go look at a 7mm-08 on Saturday.

-Jake

That's the one I saw as well.

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
For sure, if you have a gunsmith take it apart ( for trigger work, cleaning, anything) make sure he knows what he's doing as the 'timing" of the rack n pinion action is critical. Bubba can mess up a good thing super fast, ha.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a steel receiver 308 with a Jaeger mount, Lyman peep and a 2-7 Leupold for drive hunting in PA, I liked the rifle and shot a bunch of deer with it. When PA went to the 3 point AR I gave up drive hunting and gave the rifle to my father. I'd look at a 308 or 358 if you can find one!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm a fan of lever actions and really like the BLR. Killed my first deer with one in 308 in the 70's. I sold my first one and always regretted it. When I found one like it years later, I had to have it. It has done everything I want a deer rifle to do. I found another a year or two later in 284 Winchester and wouldn't hesitate to take either of them anywhere after deer.

[Linked Image]

Harry
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (222ND, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 45 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,478,919
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.