Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The current (April 2019) issue of VFW magazine has a story of the Montagnards and a new "Central Highlands" community near Asheville, NC. A lot of SF vets in NC due to the JFK Center at Ft. Bragg.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by sbrmike
The current (April 2019) issue of VFW magazine has a story of the Montagnards and a new "Central Highlands" community near Asheville, NC. A lot of SF vets in NC due to the JFK Center at Ft. Bragg.

good info. is that going to be a homeland village, or maybe structured to be a tourist attraction? i wasn't aware of that. we go to the asheville area quite a bit.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Damn. How does one jump into triple canopy jungle? Even flooded rice paddys for that matter.

Much respect.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Damn. How does one jump into triple canopy jungle? Even flooded rice paddys for that matter.

Much respect.

SOG used smokejumper gear for some of their jumps.

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by dodgefan

Much respect.

hadn't heard of that. do you have a bit of further explanation?

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by dodgefan

Much respect.

hadn't heard of that. do you have a bit of further explanation?

John Plaster has a couple of books about SOG, Franklin Miller has one called "Reflections of a Warrior" and Charles Simpson wrote "Inside the Green Berets".

It was mentioned in one of those, I don't remember which book or books I read it in.

When I was at FT Lewis in the mid 2000's my Company sent a few guys to the smokejumper school.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Breakfast it is, Tim

Name the time--trusting the place is the same...:)

A week ago, could have dog-paddled up there.

Defend the Constitution
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by sbrmike

good info. is that going to be a homeland village, or maybe structured to be a tourist attraction? i wasn't aware of that. we go to the asheville area quite a bit.

It is a village complete with a long house. I can't recall the number of inhabitants. It is supported by many ex-SF guys.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Being a retired paratrooper, and former proud member of the 2d Battalion (Abn) 503d Inf, this subject of jumps is near and dear to my heart. Being a former member of the 2-503, I have some insights, rumors, innuendo, or whatever we choose to call it here. That said, we were always told that the 2-503 had a very interesting history in that it was the only unit ever to be in two places at the same time, North Africa and the Pacific. History was revised after the fact to change the designation of the 2-503 in Africa to the 2-509. I don't know how long after the fact or if it was indeed redesignated prior to the jumps into Tunisia and Algieria, BUT, the 2-503 was constituted from the original "Test Platoon" and sent to Scotland and from there to the jumps into North Africa as the 2-503. We were told this as members of the unit. In fact my jump wings were pinned onto my chest by the first enlisted man to jump from a plane, PFC Robert N. (Red) King, a former member of the test platoon, and the 2-503. Just thought that I would pass that along. The 2-503 is a very proud unit with much history. So much history that it holds it's own reunions in addition to the reunions of the 173 Airborne Brigade. I was in the 2-503 during the 11years it was in the 101st Airborne Division. It also had a short stint in the 2d Infantry Division in Korea. during the Regimental alignments in the early to mid 1980's before the 173d was reconstituted.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by tomk
Breakfast it is, Tim

Name the time--trusting the place is the same...:)

A week ago, could have dog-paddled up there.

Wouldn't mind joining you if you have room for a third.

cf

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Most were air assaults (helicopter) not jumps... only one that would come anywhere close to what one might think of as like in WW2. Very few had any great numbers of troops, and most of those left will never be spoke of.

Here's a list of those that we will own up to... U.S. jumps in combat zones.

Link

Phil

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (160user, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 23 invisible), 1,832 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,356
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.