-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It was opening day in Mississippi. A day I always look forward to in March. It was cold with some wind this morning. I heard one distant gooble. Might go Saturday. Last year it took a couple weeks to heat up. I hope I don't have to wait as long this year. Good luck to everyone. -tnscouter

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not a peep this morning in Madison county

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Opener is April 13 here. We're going to listen tomorrow morning and Monday morning. Supposed to be clear, cold and fairly calm both days. Should be some talking going on.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I got up to go hunting this morning and it was just to cold. Low to mid 30's, and after really getting cold opening morning I just figured I'd wait a few days for warmer weather.

I'm looking forward to the next hunt, and looking forward to everyone's stories. Good luck -tnscouter

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I drew tags for Illinois and Wisconsin, but have to wait until middle of April for Illinois and beginning of May for Wisconsin. Tough to wait when I read about guys already hunting, or about to start, but it's still winter up here but kinda starting to get a little nicer. Best of luck to all pursuing turkeys this spring, be safe! Dean

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Went to my camp in Simpson Co this morning. Heard at least five different birds. Worked two within gun range but couldn’t get a clean shot on either.
Saw a stud of a bird cross the road when driving out. Knew where he was headed but another guy had signed out the area. I’ll be there in the bottom he came from the morning.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We are in Ga, took my 7yo to get his first saturday PM after our basball games. Sat down at 330, heard a hen within 5 minutes...then a gobble behind her. I called her in and figured it was about to be on! He never came with her, he started gobbling like crazy from the same place. Then we heard at least one or two more hens. The kid was giving me grief about moving closer...which we didn't need to do, but I did anyway and sure enough we spooked him and about 12 hens about 100 yards away. Just too open right now with the leaves still off the trees to move easily. He learned something.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It's still winter here in MN but it is loosening its grip. I heard the first tom gobble last Friday morning though I've heard a hen Yelp off and on for the last two weeks. With Turkey season starting in a little over a month and closer to two months for me to get out I am not too excited yet.

I chased a dozen toms out of the neighbor's field yesterday afternoon when I took my dogs out to run off a little energy. We were 400+ yards away but the toms were not going to see what we were up to. This morning we chased 13 from the same field though the birds waited a bit to see what we were doing. They are back out now and we're making their way toward the pasture last time I looked.

Another dozen were in a field on the other side of the wood lot behind the pasture. They took off like scalded cats. I saw over 60 in that field last Janurary so wonder what the others are up to.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I went turkey hunting again this morning to our Mississippi woods and nothing. I was really early since the super full moon was so bright. I was greeted with an unforcasted foggy mist and very light rain. The type of really light rain you don't pay attention to, until you realize about 40 minutes later just how soaked you've become so your focus turns to finding cover.

I was hopeful since the wet weather made my footfalls nonexistent and the bright moon removed the need for a flashlight After about an hour of eerie silence I decided to set up in a place that kept most of the rain off me overlooking a field at the plateau of some bottom land trails. I settled in, waited awhile, and then threw a couple yelps out and got a somewhat disinterested gobble back. The obligatory response with a hint of disinterest. I waited about twenty minutes and threw out another one - Silence.

The next two hours only broken up with a couple more yelps and purrs and one loud interloping crow. It was cold and wet so it was a struggle to stay still and quiet. When the sun really started to break through and clear the fog the accompanying drop in temperature was tough. It stayed in the very low forties until around 9:30. I managed to stay a few hours longer before other responsibilities drew me home. Even though I didn't get a turkey the morning was still a wonderful gift that has me looking forward to next week when I'm able to go again. Good luck everyone and please share your stories. -tnscouter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve been a few times so far. I’ve only heard one bird gobble a few times at a stork and crows on roost. One time he could have possibly be gobbling at me but not sure. Very quite so far

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’m bowhunting them in Ks in two weeks. Really looking forward to that.

NRA Patron
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
dale06: Your Kansas hunt sounds great. Good luck and keep us posted with your stories. -tnscouter

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
getting ready for oklahoma turkey.04-06-19 /05-06-19.be bow hunting.going to try new muzzy turkey broadhead with hooks 100 grain.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Wife and I went up to the Blue Ridges on Thursday and came back last night. We heard gobblers in the morning, at noon, in the afternoon and on the roost at sundown. They're wide open right now. Only problem is that April 13 opening date. This is our first year to hunt the property and we were pretty much moving around just figgering it out. We had gobblers gobble AT us while we were walking on dry leaves. Those turkeys want to die. I just couldn't help them. Hoping they can keep it up for a couple more weeks.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 1badf350, 1minute, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 58 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,295
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.