J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GAWDY ! GAWDY ! shocked
reminiscent of Wby Mk V, Kleingunther, Colt Sauer etc.

OH! btw I like GAWDY DF laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
The one thing that nobody has addressed thus far is the fact that most folks who have a 6.5/06 use .25/06 brass. The down side is that if one's .25/06 has a slightly oversize neck, then 6.5/06 ammo could potentually be chambered. IIRC, this was related to me by Ray Montgomery of Co.
- G.H.

HEY ! He's Alive ! Good to see you back here.

I've read up to date. Since it's been raining, I've loaded my FIRST test loads of Rl 26 and 162s in my 7 RM.
Next up is H 4350 and 165 HBTSP in 06.

I'll pressure test & graph at the same time next week.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 03/30/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwall

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GAWDY ! GAWDY ! shocked
reminiscent of Wby Mk V, Kleingunther, Colt Sauer etc.

OH! btw I like GAWDY DF laugh

Jerry

Yeah, sorta flashy, but that was the rage back in the day.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
D F

I wanted a Kleingunther so bad.... $ 750.00
I wanted a Wby Mk V 270 Wby...,, $ 800.00
I wanted a Colt Sauer 300 Win .... & 800.00

A months pay for me at the time.
I’d STILL take an older Colt Sauer today.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 03/30/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, all slick guns. I helped a good bud sell a Colt Sauer, really smooth, well made rifle.

I don’t have but one Mk V, now wearng a 7RM Brux in Wby Express McWoody. Sorta lost most of the Wby glitz.

DF

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My FN 98, Swede with 23" Shilen in McWoody Edge. Great combo, action and round.

[Linked Image]

That looks similar to my 70 Black Shadow -> -> 300 WM
[Linked Image]

I have a better pic that I can't find on Ph B or Imgur. I've replaced the scope with much a better one.

Here are a couple of bucks I've killed with the 300.

1st Deer I shot with it. 10 pt, 194 lbs whole. 2008
[Linked Image]

2010, 8 pt
[Linked Image]

2009, 6 pt -- 17 1/2 inside spread
[Linked Image]

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
jwall- did you bed that Black Shadows stock or shoot it as is?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had the most fun, in a 6.5 cal, with a pre-SAAMI wildcat 6.5/284. I necked down 284 WW brass and used it in a SA Mod 700. I wanted to stick with the 120-125 Noslers and it so happened, that reamer had a shorter throat than the SAAMI reamer does. So it worked out swell for my 2.79" COAL. For the ranges I shoot, that was a stretched string trajectory of just using +1" high at 100. If I went ever had another 6.5 wildcat made up, I'd have to seriously consider the 6.5 Sherman ( a necked down .270 blown out and shoulder moved forward.) But again, for me, either the 25-06 or now, this .270, does the same thing. It scratches my itch pretty good. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dirtfarmer Kool looking rifle for the era, with all the right items, very neat. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
jwall- did you bed that Black Shadows stock or shoot it as is?

Jim, the short answer is no, I didn't bed it.

I found and bought the gun at a Pawn Shop on Saturday afternoon , OPENING DAY of our deer season. I went straight to WM and bought-- yep Fed Blue Box 300 WM 180s, 2 boxes. That night I checked the action screws and all was tight. I checked the scope and the bases were loose.
I cleaned and tightened the bases and rings.

On Monday @ 1:00 pm I checked for accuracy. The first 4 shots were wadded up, not one ragged hole but LESS than 1 ". I then adjusted the scope. It tracked perfectly, 1 adjustment and horizontal was good, 1 adjustment and vertical was good.
Mon. evening I went back to WM and bought 3 more boxes of the same Lot #. That gave me 100 rounds of brass.

On TUESDAY AM that 10 pt came out of the thicket at 180 yds. 1 shot and he was out of sight. He traveled @ 30-35 yds.

I killed 3 or 4 deer with it and THAT same ammo. EVERY bullet fragmented and some did NOT exit. I simply pulled those S H C bullets and seated 180 HSPs. END of problem. I hunted the Black Shadow exclusively 08-- 09-- 10. You can see THE exit hole on the 2nd pic in 2010.

In August I tested the 165 HBTSP. 4 shots

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a NICKEL or 3/4" O D. So...... "If it Ain't Broke.........."

All I've done since is put a GOOD 4-12X40 scope on it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by northcountry
Dirtfarmer Kool looking rifle for the era, with all the right items, very neat. Cheers NC

Thanks. Here some more photos and details.

I picked up this '50's vintage 98 FN action here on the Classifieds, in the white, all the work already done. Buyer had bought it at a gunshow, didn't know the history, who did the work, but it was top notch. The three panel bolt handle, welded to perfection. The swing safety is two, not three position. The Canjar trigger hasn't been made for many years.

I had JKob fit the barrel, alter the safety to not lock the bolt. I got a Classic McWoody Edge before McM quit offering marble finishes without black backgounds on Edge stocks, as the black carbon shell sometimes showed through. McWoody has a brown background, so until they change that rule, there evidently will be no more Edge McWoody stocks.

I had to send the gun to McM for fitting, as there are so many Mauser variations. I can make alterations, but not with the McWoody finish. That increased the cost a bit, but not that bad. I lucked up with an unusualy nice McWoody pattern. I have three McWoody stocks, this one with the fanciest grain pattern.

The Conquest 2.5-8x32 in Talley rings is a nice match for the gun, which required med heigth rings for the straight bolt handle to clear the ocular.

Add the blued 23" #2 Shilen and this is the finished product. This Swede loves the 139 Scenar, doesn't do as well with lighter bullets. It's a bit more finicky than my 6.5 Creed; the Creed shoots about anything MOA, with loads it likes, sub-MOA. The Swede is more selective on its sub-MOA loads, not as generous as the Creed. But, I'll take the 139 Scenar and run with it without feeling handicapped... grin

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/31/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DF,
That is one sweet rig! Great story, as well. You got a keeper, for sure. cool

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 340boy
DF,
That is one sweet rig! Great story, as well. You got a keeper, for sure. cool

Yep, that one ain't goin' nowhere.... wink

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes, Indeed D F.

I remember seeing pix of it before and always good to drool over it.

GORGEOUS !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
3" is a little short for the 6.5x55, one reason it's primarily a favorite among rifle loonies who "build" custom rifles.

Mine is on a commercial FN 98 action, with a pretty short-throated chamber and 3.35" magazine box, which leaves plenty of room for any bullet.

Might also mention that no, the 6.5x55 doesn't have anywhere near the powder capacity of the 6.5-06--around 16% less, depending on the throat, brass, etc. So its capable of about 100 fps less at the same pressures, with the same bullets.

But as I've pointed out elsewhere, most handloaders tend to be obsessed with adding another 100 fps (or more) of muzzle velocity. But with "standard" spitzer soft-points, that advantage diminishes rapidly out where the deer and antelope play. For some hunters, it makes more sense to add 100+ fps out where the bullet actually lands on 'em.

I've always thought that 100 FPS doesn't makes a dang bit of difference. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by High_Noon; 03/31/19.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by High_Noon
I've always thought that 100 FPS doesn't makes a dang bit of difference. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Depends. Practically, no, but so far as succeeding or failing in the market, it very well can. Gun manufacturers are out to sell guns and make money, not offer practical, not make money, and go broke.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
3" is a little short for the 6.5x55, one reason it's primarily a favorite among rifle loonies who "build" custom rifles.

Mine is on a commercial FN 98 action, with a pretty short-throated chamber and 3.35" magazine box, which leaves plenty of room for any bullet.

Might also mention that no, the 6.5x55 doesn't have anywhere near the powder capacity of the 6.5-06--around 16% less, depending on the throat, brass, etc. So its capable of about 100 fps less at the same pressures, with the same bullets.

But as I've pointed out elsewhere, most handloaders tend to be obsessed with adding another 100 fps (or more) of muzzle velocity. But with "standard" spitzer soft-points, that advantage diminishes rapidly out where the deer and antelope play. For some hunters, it makes more sense to add 100+ fps out where the bullet actually lands on 'em.

What still puzzles me is just how many FPS do matter.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Depends. Practically, no, but so far as succeeding or failing in the market, it very well can. Gun manufacturers are out to sell guns and make money, not offer practical, not make money, and go broke.Tom

Fair point.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Slinging large hunks of lead at modest velocity is big medicine.

Different strokes for different folks.

- Del Gue
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Slinging large hunks of lead at modest velocity is big medicine.

Different strokes for different folks.

How modest is too modest?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,811 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,356
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.