Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I stopped at our about to officially open Cabelas store yesterday and made the mistake of fondling a .416 Rigby in a SS / Lam #1H and also a .458 Win in the wood / blued version. I REALLY liked the feel. Can't see buying one of these in SS unless I was going to have it bead blasted and even then I think I'd prefer walnut / blue (although the extra 1/2 pound in the laminate can't hurt). I already hunt with a #1A in .30-06 and love the way it handles.

What do you have to say about the .416 or .458 #1H's? How's the recoil? I haven't shot any big bores yet so I have no real frame of reference. My slug gun, however, is a 3" mag 12 gauge that weighs about 5.25 pounds so it has a decent slap to it. I have no real use for a big bore but it sure sounds like fun! grin

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the 1-H blued in .458 Lott. I just shot it with full loads last week. If you aren't used to big guns, don't start with these. They are fairly light for big guns an do kick hard. They have a nice shape, however, and fit me well which keeps perceived recoil down.

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So, what guns would you recommend to start with in the big calibers?

I would really prefer a big mauser actioned bolt gun if actually going DG hunting. Since I have no plans to do so (and can't seem to justify a DG gun as more than a play thing) I don't really want to spend a ton of money if I go there now. The price on the #1's is certainly reasonable. I do like the lines of the #1H but also think a SS in a DG caliber is a bit of an oddity. Seems that anything that requires a DG caliber would be better served with a repeater of some sort. However, if just having fun, a SS seems hard to beat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not an expert on big guns like some are here but I do own a few. I have a M77 in .416 Rigby that is quite mild to shoot but its 11 lbs and that tames it quite a bit. My Sako .416 Rem kicks more but is lighter and thinner in the stock.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just curious - is your M77 11 pounds scoped or bare? (Or is it even wearing a scope?) Do you handload reduced rounds for practice or shoot quite a bit of full power stuff? It actually seems that a .458 of one variety or another might be better for reduced practice loads since you could load bullets intended for a 45-70. I certainly don't want to spend the $5-$8 per shot for factory Rigby ammo so I'd defnitely roll my own (which I do now anyway for my other rifles).

Thanks for the info!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine is 11 lbs bare(I don't even have it scoped right now) as its an early production(1992) with the heavy contour barrel. Here's the #1 in Lott and the M77 in Rigby:

http://groups.msn.com/SakoCollectorsClub/afewmoresakos.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=642

Last edited by SakoAlberta; 04/13/07. Reason: I'm the worst spellar in the World!!!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the pics - I really like the wood on the #1.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me too. I really wasn't looking for a 'Lott' but when I saw it, I had to buy. smile M77 has nice wood too but the pic doesn't do it justice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BTW, don't count my opinion too much. The next person might tell you the fit of their #1 keeps recoil low. So much depends on how a rifle fits you, however, there is physics behind it all and light guns have more velocity hitting your shoulder than massive(heavy) ones.

mv=mv for the physics buffs out there! wink

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No doubt about both points. My old Win 70 Carbine in 30-06 kicked like a mule (light weight and poor stock fit) but my #1A in 30-06 (heavier and stock fits me better) is a pussy cat. My heavy .338 Win Mag Browning Safari (which I sold) was a joy to shoot as well but it also fit me well. I wish there was a place I could shoot one of the big #1's prior to purchasing to check the fit and recoil but they aren't too common so I doubt this will happen.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm up in Alberta-you're welcome to come shoot(and we have our own range) wink

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I appreciate the offer - if I was a bit closer I'd take you up on it! grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wink

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone else out there with a #1H in .375 H&H or larger that wants to comment?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's a nice 'big bore' that is almost 11 lbs that should be built well:

http://www.hollandandholland.com/gunrooms/london/new_stock_weapons/details/118/?cHash=76954f13ef

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wink That's just cruel, isn't it? laugh

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by stanimal
Anyone else out there with a #1H in .375 H&H or larger that wants to comment?
Well, it's been quite a while since I shot these rifles, but my .375 H&H #1 kicks me less than my .375 H&H Winchester Model 70, and the #1 is an older one with the thin red pad. The #1 also is much more pleasant to shoot than the .45-70 Browning/Mirokuchester which was traded toward the #1, and also more pleasant than a Remington 870 with full-power slugs. I can't really be more specific, as it's been several years since I shot rifles in anything bigger than .223 and .308; my wife's interest in Africa has diminished and there are not many Buffalo, Cape or otherwise, down here in Texas. I do need to get out and shoot the big boomers again, though; I miss it. In fact, I almost bought a pre-owned SS #1 in .416 Rigby a few months ago, but someone else beat me to it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's just not right at all. While those sure make me drool, I'm not sure I could ever bring myself to take one into the bush. Of course, it's not likely I will ever have to worry about it since I don't plan to sell my house to buy one and couldn't afford it otherwise.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Rexster,

Thanks for the feedback. It seems a common thread that the .375's (while not true big bores to most people) are a world away from the .416's (and even more from the .458's on up) in recoil. A lot of people seem to think the .375's are downright pleasant to shoot. Perhaps that would be a good place for me to start with the bigger guns. I doubt it would kick a lot more than the .358 Norma I am building right now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stanimal, I have got a #1 in 375 Holland that I bought as a test bed when I was trying to decide what caliber my Hagn was going to be. It has been shot 100's of times and it has taken many hogs here at the ranch and even a stray dog or two. Anyway, using the iron sights and any decent load it jars my teeth. After about 10 rounds offhand I can develop a flinch if I am not careful. The stock shape is exactly wrong for me and that seems to magnify the recoil. I put a 1 pound mercury tube in the draw bolt hole and carved the stock down some and it is much better now. As long as I don't drive the 300gr bullets near max I don't mind shooting it a bunch.

I don't believe that I would enjoy anything bigger on the #1 format. The 416's and 458's would just be too much recoil in an ill fitting rifle. I would like one of the 9.3x74R's, that strikes me as a very good match.

SS
josh

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1badf350, 257Bob, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 59 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,904
Posts18,518,553
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.