Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I put in for the moose draw again. This year I opted out of the $50 preference point. I've got 17 weighted points now---I can't see 18 being any more of an advantage over the 17. What did you guys do?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went ahead and paid it. I don’t want to look up in 10-20 years and wish I had

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I didn't put in for moose or a moose PP this year. I figured by the time I'd actually be eligible for a Colorado moose tag, I'd have spend about $1000 in PP fees. I'd rather put that $1000 to an Alaskan moose hunt where I could score something really big.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think the new rules are going to greatly reduce the accumulation of preference points for hunters on a normal family budget. Looks like it's pay to play much more than before.

I know lots of people trying to draw moose tags with double digit points, and no one I know has ever pulled one.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I agree,I wouldn't pay .When I had my tag a few years ago, I had put in a for a cow tag. I figured at my age, they were never going to give me a bull tag before I could physically not do the hunt and I wanted to at least shoot a moose in Colorado. I had 16 points ( including weighted) .The other guy in the area, drew with 7 .

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I agree with you all, as it's like winning a power ball in a way. I have 16 points and put in again with hope this could be the year. 50.00 in time adds up and could be used for a fore sure thing in another state but at this time, I am like exbiologist in that I don't want to look back and wish I did.

SWcowboy

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I never really scoured the draw odds spreadsheet for moose like I did this year. It seems like the bull draw is all over the place, points don't seem to matter much. The cow tags went by seniority for about half, and all over for the other half. I've been building up points for years and never really tore into it until now. It doesn't seem like having extra points gets you any better odds than just having a few. Maybe I'm reading them wrong. I haven't torn into sheep or goat, kinda scared to now after just buying points for years.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by superdave
I never really scoured the draw odds spreadsheet for moose like I did this year. It seems like the bull draw is all over the place, points don't seem to matter much. The cow tags went by seniority for about half, and all over for the other half. I've been building up points for years and never really tore into it until now. It doesn't seem like having extra points gets you any better odds than just having a few. Maybe I'm reading them wrong. I haven't torn into sheep or goat, kinda scared to now after just buying points for years.

The thing that throws all those stats off is you never know how many out there are only applying for points. That is not shown anywhere.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/02/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore

The thing that throws all those stats off is you never know how many out there are only applying for points. That is not shown anywhere.

Yes it shows up. Last page on the "2018MooseDrawRecap.pdf"

22,206 Res just applied for a point
9,924 Non Res
3,361 Res Youth
867 Non Res Youth

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by colorado bob

Yes it shows up. Last page on the "2018MooseDrawRecap.pdf"

22,206 Res just applied for a point
9,924 Non Res
3,361 Res Youth
867 Non Res Youth

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I put in for the moose draw again. This year I opted out of the $50 preference point. I've got 17 weighted points now---I can't see 18 being any more of an advantage over the 17. What did you guys do?

I did the same.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BeanMan

I did the same.

I put in for Unit 75. It's Silverton----I at least know where to look for them there. Good Luck on your draw.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
OK.I did not look far enough.

Sheesh that is more than $3.57 million for the qualifying licenses and pref point fees more than CPW took in last year just for moose. .Just think of all the other moneys from all the draws for sheep, goats.Then add all the qualifying licenses for Residents and NR for the other draws..I bet CPW will take in more than double the money they did in 2018 for all license.Colorado hunters and Non-Residents sure got snookered this year.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Colorado Bob

About 3 years ago, I drove over Red Mountain a lot and if he is still there. There is a huge by Colorado standard bull moose that I was seeing a lot up there. I bet you know about him. I am shooting for unit 65 as I know of two where I bow hunt and I know their trail so well that I could have shot them over and over at bout 35 yards. They are not the biggest but good of enough for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK.I did not look far enough.

Sheesh that is more than $3.57 million for the qualifying licenses and pref point fees more than CPW took in last year just for moose. .Just think of all the other moneys from all the draws for sheep, goats.Then add all the qualifying licenses for Residents and NR for the other draws..I bet CPW will take in more than double the money they did in 2018 for all license.Colorado hunters and Non-Residents sure got snookered this year.

There was no qualifying license last year, just the $3 application fee, which is why it blew up. Doubt you’ll see that this year

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
But when your number is called it is all worth it! Got mine last year in what may have been the best moose season weather in CO history, mid thigh snow, bitter cold at peak rut. Now all they have to do is rescind the once-in-a-lifetime thing!

they are amazing animals

[Linked Image]IMG_3807 by .com/photos/66556275N05/]squirrel2012, on [bleep]

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
...like CB, I have 17 weighted points. Not buying points either. Who ever developed the "Weighted draw" system is either a genius, or an idiot. I ultimately decided to spend some time at the Division headquarters in Denver to hopefully have them explain the system. An hour later, and with a copy of how it's done, I'm convinced my chances of drawing a moose tag is less than being eaten by a great white shark...and I live in landlocked CO.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This year is my 34th attempt at securing a Colorado moose tag. As I see it, if they keep $50 a year for points then in 6 years I will have given them the price of a moose so I should consider that a license and just go get one.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have 14+3pts, and did not pay for the extra point.

My hunting buddy and I have been putting in for the same Units for Moose and Sheep since, well 17 years ago. He pulled a Bull Moose tag about 9 years ago, got a nice 42+" bull, and last year, drew a cow Moose tag and got a cow.

He pulled a Sheep tag 10 years ago, and again 2 years ago, both ram tags. I finally pulled the sheep tag in 2016.

Last year, I got no point tags, whereas he got a goat, cow moose, buck antelope and spring turkey, and he punched each tag.

Man, I'd rather be lucky than good.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I only have 3 + 5 weighted so I decided to pay for the point. I guess I will pay until I either draw or get to 12 weighted. Then I will just roll the dice and with my luck never draw! Maybe some day I can hunt a moose. It just may not be in CO!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
34 attempts and no license is bad enough so to add insult to injury, 2 moose were in my yard yesterday eating my trees.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just a point for me. This year hits the required 3, so I needed to pay the 50 no matter what.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
As predicted...no moose tag for me. I've decided to continue applying for a tag, but in the mean time, I'm gonna' "shoot" moose with my camera. Can't eat a photo, but at least I'll know I was close enough to fill a tag. Good luck to all who did draw a moose tag this year.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
No tag for me. I've been applying since they started the hunt. I turn 65 this year time to hang it up. Bob

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Maybe with all the associated costs multiplied by the years involved in the draw, it might be cheaper to go to Canada or Alaska on a moose hunt while you are young enough to enjoy it and pay for it! LOL

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by WAM
Maybe with all the associated costs multiplied by the years involved in the draw, it might be cheaper to go to Canada or Alaska on a moose hunt while you are young enough to enjoy it and pay for it! LOL

No moose for me either.

Going to Newfoudland might be in the cards.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
No Moose for me either. I may cash in on a cow next year and be done with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,427
Posts18,470,733
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.