Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
This verdict makes as mo=uch sense as awarding someone who gets cancer millions of dollars in damages against some poor farmer because the plaintiff ate carrots before getting cancer. No cause and effect whatsoever, especially as the EPA is on record that Roundup does NOT cause cancer.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Indy, for the sake of clarity, I point out the following excerpt from the article:

The jury in San Francisco federal court on Wednesday found Bayer liable because its Monsanto unit did not warn plaintiff Edwin Hardeman of the herbicide’s alleged cancer risks.

Further, EPA does little more than rely on manufacturer's submitted info/data during the registration decision process subject to in house review. My understanding of the process is not perfect but based on review of multiple registration decisions the EPA seldom involves itself in issues that are tangential to the applicant's submitted information. It is a legal process, not necessarily an in depth scientific investigation.

Allegations are what they are of course, but note that the sale of Roundup or herbicides of the same chemical composition (glyphosate) are forbidden in many countries on basis of its carcinogenic properties.

https://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/toxic-tort-law/monsanto-roundup-lawsuit/where-is-glyphosate-banned/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate

The German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment toxicology review in 2013 found that "the available data is contradictory and far from being convincing" with regard to correlations between exposure to glyphosate formulations and risk of various cancers, including non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL). A meta-analysis published in 2014 identified an increased risk of NHL in workers exposed to glyphosate formulations

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And the warnings over time jade people into nonchalance because everything has a California Cancer Causer tag these days.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 04/02/19. Reason: Frigging autocorrect!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K22
They have been poisoning the planet with it for years and then we consume it knowingly and not knowingly. What is not to say that much of the cancer isn't coming from the poisoning of the soil, water, and air by products such as roundup.
Once a person ingests a non-organic substance the brain chemistry begins to change which has far reaching affects. Some of these changes are more pronounced in some than others, but all are affected.

Food is the fuel for our bodies as gasoline is the fuel for our cars. Add ethanol to the gas and the engine performance begins to drop, some more than others. It really shows up in small engines such as lawnmowers, chainsaws and older engines. It is no different for humans.

Agreed. I used the stuff and got a tiny bit on my hand and the tip of my tongue went completely numb for about two hours. My neighbor died last month at 81 and he smoked non-filter cigarettes since he was 16. Point it that this chit is like many things, it affects everyone differently.

Roundup a scourge on our ecosystem....and yes, 90% of lawyers are bottom-feeders that will exploit this situation.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
I once worked for Monsanto, in the quality control lab of a plant where the raw materials for Roundup were produced. We were always told to be carereful, wear property protective equipment, etc around the stuff, but never had any problems that I know of.

Mike Holmes

TC or Chocolate Bayou? Our unit was covered in crystals blowing from the top of the IDA unit across the street until they shut it down. Always looked like it was snowing over there.

Last edited by Chisos; 04/02/19.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You [bleep] idiots think that just because the EPA says it’s ok, it’s ok. Only liberals trust the government.

All the guys want to be me, and all the bitches want to do me.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
EPA say's its OK when used as directed...

Very few to none even bother to read the directions, much less follow them.

Phil

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by K22
They have been poisoning the planet with it for years and then we consume it knowingly and not knowingly. What is not to say that much of the cancer isn't coming from the poisoning of the soil, water, and air by products such as roundup.
Once a person ingests a non-organic substance the brain chemistry begins to change which has far reaching affects. Some of these changes are more pronounced in some than others, but all are affected.

Food is the fuel for our bodies as gasoline is the fuel for our cars. Add ethanol to the gas and the engine performance begins to drop, some more than others. It really shows up in small engines such as lawnmowers, chainsaws and older engines. It is no different for humans.

Agreed. I used the stuff and got a tiny bit on my hand and the tip of my tongue went completely numb for about two hours. My neighbor died last month at 81 and he smoked non-filter cigarettes since he was 16. Point it that this chit is like many things, it affects everyone differently.

Roundup a scourge on our ecosystem....and yes, 90% of lawyers are bottom-feeders that will exploit this situation.

Well, there we have it. Smoking doesn’t cause cancer. Smoke up Johnny.

All the guys want to be me, and all the bitches want to do me.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wow, what a "diverse" reaction this Round-Up discussion has drawn. I would like to add a few comments regarding pesticides in general and Round-Up specifically:

1). Pesticide is the overall term applied to products designed to manage / kill pest populations. Herbicides (such as Round-Up) are PESTICIDES. So are fungicides, rodenticides, insecticides, bactericides, etc.

2). Not all pesticides are cumulative in human tissues / organs.

3). Not all pesticides remain in soil / water after usage. They may be degraded by light, temperature, moisture, time etc.

4). One measure of toxicity is the LD50 value. It represents how much material is needed to kill 50% of the test animals (usually rats, mice and rabbits). The lower the LD50 value, the more toxic the substance is. These values can be either dermal absorption or oral ingestion. The acute oral LD50 for Glyphosate (trade name Round-UP) is approximately 5600 mg / kg body weight on adult rats. By all comparisons, this is relatively non-toxic. For comparison purposes, Aspirin has an LD50 of 200 mg / kg in rats. These values relate to the concentrated product, not diluted field usage concentrations.

5). Water can be lethal if ingested in verge quantifies. It will always be "normal" to find somebody with adverse reactions to something.

6). Utilizing a risk / benefit scenario, pesticides have done a hell of a lot more good than bad.

Guess that is enough "thought" (for this issue) from me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RicG
Wow, what a "diverse" reaction this Round-Up discussion has drawn. I would like to add a few comments regarding pesticides in general and Round-Up specifically:

1). Pesticide is the overall term applied to products designed to manage / kill pest populations. Herbicides (such as Round-Up) are PESTICIDES. So are fungicides, rodenticides, insecticides, bactericides, etc.

2). Not all pesticides are cumulative in human tissues / organs.

3). Not all pesticides remain in soil / water after usage. They may be degraded by light, temperature, moisture, time etc.

4). One measure of toxicity is the LD50 value. It represents how much material is needed to kill 50% of the test animals (usually rats, mice and rabbits). The lower the LD50 value, the more toxic the substance is. These values can be either dermal absorption or oral ingestion. The acute oral LD50 for Glyphosate (trade name Round-UP) is approximately 5600 mg / kg body weight on adult rats. By all comparisons, this is relatively non-toxic. For comparison purposes, Aspirin has an LD50 of 200 mg / kg in rats. These values relate to the concentrated product, not diluted field usage concentrations.

5). Water can be lethal if ingested in verge quantifies. It will always be "normal" to find somebody with adverse reactions to something.

6). Utilizing a risk / benefit scenario, pesticides have done a hell of a lot more good than bad.

Guess that is enough "thought" (for this issue) from me.

Huge difference between immediate toxicity and long-term carcinogens...

The suit was about warnings about long-term effects.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All chemicals go some where.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by K22

Do you really think Liberals drink the stuff? wink

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Clydesdale
You [bleep] idiots think that just because the EPA says it’s ok, it’s ok. Only liberals trust the government.

This has got to be one of the dumber statements in this thread, science crosses the political barrier. Are you saying anyone who uses pesticides must be a Democrat? Anyone who believes in science is a Democrat?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
science crosses the political barrier

You must be a global warming kinda guy grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by watch4bear
science crosses the political barrier

You must be a global warming kinda guy grin

What you are saying is that “The interpretation of science” ... The science is very solid on Glyphosate and it’s breakdown products in the environment. How a jury or someone who knows essentially nothing about it interperates it will be very different. That is what is happening in this thread.

Last edited by BeanMan; 04/02/19. Reason: Spelling correction
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by K22

Do you really think Liberals drink the stuff? wink

I used to think it was coolaid, but you have a very good point. grin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I worked for Monsanto at Chocolate Bayou - and lived several miles "upstream" from the plant.

Mike Holmes

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Unfortunately, once the trial lawyers are able to get it in front of a jury, the burden of proof is so low. In these types of cases, the mindset of the jury is that it's safer to err on the side of the "victim",

Did you know there are actually investment funds that invest in litigation, so the lawyers have capital to chase these types of cases? Among other things, that capital is used to fund stories, articles, opinion pieces, "research studies" and other media blitzes to help soften a local populace so they're more likely to get favorable juries.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by K22
I understand your point, especially having farmed myself and grew up in a farming community. Many farmers that I know of now where masks and gloves at times, drive around in sealed cabins that are not leak proof but are far from open air type from my era. Many will not touch the seeds they are planting because of health hazards.
No one can guarantee that the herbacide, pesticide, ect. will only stay on their property and doesn't stay in the crops I might eat. It is very hard on the small young engines among us, (babies), and the older engines, (elderly). Then there's the animals, birds, bee's, fish, and on and on and on.
For those who have not had cancer or a similar disease it is not much of a reality or a worry. For those who have had cancer, it becomes a reality. Having had colon cancer twice, the last time being terminal with a year to live, I am much more aware of herbacides and pesticides than before I contracted it. And lets call them what they really are, poison.

What Horse1 posted is exactly what I'm talking about. He is talking about just one "Hobby Farmer" doing this, can you imagine if you multiplied that by......????????.
I understand the "out of sight, out of mind" concept and used to have that thought philosophy, not any more. Those toxins/poisons don't go away or evaporate into nothing, they build up. Bayer/Monsanto/Payseur could careless what affect it has you, your children, your grandchildren. You are nothing more useless eaters to them. In some cases I read you are food to them and the chemicals you take in

is just more seasoning to them.

I think we should be looking at the big picture here, the future.

No cancer for me yet. I did watch my mother whither away and die during her 2nd bout w/breast cancer. She was 51. Dad died @ 59 after a 6Mo battle w/colon C. I'm now 44, cancer risks are a daily thought for me. My older sister is the same age my mother was on her 1st C fight. Neither ever smoked, did drugs, took any prescription drugs, and both were light social drinkers. Moms older sister smoked a ton for over 40 yrs and is still alive. The 2 of my dads 5 siblings who smoked haveoth made it into their 60's and are in pretty good shape. Grandpa smoked for 25yrs or so and lived to 87. Grandma is still alive and is 95 still living on her own.

K22, by your interpretation of cause and effect maybe my parents should've smoked.......

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Roundup is a boon, a wonderful thing, used by millions. A certain standard of care, of course, but man, I can't imagine not having access to it any more. I hate these cretin lawyers and moron jurors.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (673, 06hunter59, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 29aholic, 35 invisible), 1,625 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,976
Posts18,519,854
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.