-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All of the 10mm pistols discussed in this thread so far except the 1911 are no-go for me, because of my gimpy hand. I've read that the Ruger is the only 10mm 1911 with a ramped barrel. Is that true? And should I care?

Has anyone here any experience with the Sig 220 in 10mm?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
To answer an earlier question, my G20 was, I think, a Gen 3. The round that "blew" was fired from am aftermarket barrel, 6 inch length/ I di go to a 6" Block barrel on it after that, and had no problems with that one. I don't have a 10,, Sig 220, but would like to try one. I do have a Sig 220 chambered in .45 ACP, and like that one a lot/

Mike

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
To answer an earlier question, my G20 was, I think, a Gen 3. The round that "blew" was fired from am aftermarket barrel, 6 inch length/ I di go to a 6" Block barrel on it after that, and had no problems with that one. I don't have a 10,, Sig 220, but would like to try one. I do have a Sig 220 chambered in .45 ACP, and like that one a lot/

Mike

Those are 2 guns I'd like to shoot some time. Never shot either. Pawed a .45 acp version at LGS last year.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I've got a 220 in 10. Its a beast. 44oz empty, but its made to handle the 10. I highly recommend it. All of the 10MM pistols I've seen have ramped barrels.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by FreeMe
All of the 10mm pistols discussed in this thread so far except the 1911 are no-go for me, because of my gimpy hand. I've read that the Ruger is the only 10mm 1911 with a ramped barrel. Is that true? And should I care?

Has anyone here any experience with the Sig 220 in 10mm?

As far as I know all 10mm 1911s have ramped barrels except for the Colt Delta....

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I've read that the Ruger is the only 10mm 1911 with a ramped barrel. Is that true? And should I care?

As far as I know all 10mm 1911s have ramped barrels except for the Colt Delta....

Lot's of shooters assume that a ramped barrel is synonymous with chamber support, which of course it is not - Glocks have a ramped barrel. A ramped barrel is a consideration in a 1911 because it changes the way a 1911 operates. Should you care? Sure, but chamber support is independent and more important.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AFAIK, Colt is the only 10mm with a conventional barrel.

It's also true that of the 3 Colt Delta's I've owned, they'd eat anything out of any magazine. The Kimber I own is a LOT more fussy about what it will eat, and some magazines do not work, period.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have had a Glock 20 for several years and like it just bought the 4.5 " Springfield XDM 10 MM , shot it and the Glock side by side quite a bit more felt recoil than the Glock? My wife thought so also, plus the Springfield slide was difficult for her also. Bears are out now and one of them usually goes with us. I like the grip safety and loaded chamber features of the Springfield very accurate so jury is still out.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"I found with bigger bore handguns, the recoil precludes an accurate second shot at close range"
Tell that to Towsley, 5 shots in under 3 seconds with a 454 Casull Freedom Arms with good accuracy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F71SPRFr_Y An alternative to a new semi auto 10 mm is to use the money to buy practice ammo for an adequate sized revolver

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by 340boy

Yondering,
Good info there, I probably ought to check with KKM before I try the swap. I love the barrel, it turned that G20 of mine into a hunting machine. I was very impressed with the accuracy-from slow factory 'target' loads all the way to hot Buffalo Bore and Underwood stuff.

Yeah, KKM makes great barrels, quality stuff.

I just spoke with Dan at KKM barrels and he stated that the 6" G20 barrel that I purchased for my Gen3 about 7 years ago should work just fine in a Gen 4 G20 or a G40, for that matter.
cool

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
340boy, thanks for the follow up.

How much better did your G-20 shoot with the KKM barrel vs. OEM?

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I recently went the G40 route though I haven’t received it yet.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Yondering,
Good info there, I probably ought to check with KKM before I try the swap. I love the barrel, it turned that G20 of mine into a hunting machine. I was very impressed with the accuracy-from slow factory 'target' loads all the way to hot Buffalo Bore and Underwood stuff.

I just spoke with Dan at KKM barrels and he stated that the 6" G20 barrel that I purchased for my Gen3 about 7 years ago should work just fine in a Gen 4 G20 or a G40, for that matter.
cool

Interesting; they must have started making gen 4 guide rod cuts in all of them around that time? Did he confirm that?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EdM
I recently went the G40 route though I haven’t received it yet.

Look forward to your report.

I like mine, sometimes wished I'd have gone with a 1911 pattern, like gunner500. But, the Glock does have some unique qualities.

Getting used to it.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yondering,

cool

Interesting; they must have started making gen 4 guide rod cuts in all of them around that time? Did he confirm that?

He didn't go into details, but I emphasized the fact that I had purchased the barrel around 7 years ago, and he immediately said that it would work with the Gen 4 G20 and 'all generations of the G40, also'.
I will admit I was a bit surprised that they are compatible, but that's what the man at KKM stated.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

On paper I'd say, a 1/3 better than with the stock barrel? It was really quite noticeable with shots at 25 yards or longer, and especially with the 200gr Gold Dots and XTP loads from Underwood at the time. That thing was a lot of fun.

James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

On paper I'd say, a 1/3 better than with the stock barrel? It was really quite noticeable with shots at 25 yards or longer, and especially with the 200gr Gold Dots and XTP loads from Underwood at the time. That thing was a lot of fun.

So, worth the cost in your opinion?

Did it take much if any fitting?

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

DF

So, worth the cost in your opinion?

Did it take much if any fitting?

DF

It was a straight 'drop-in' proposition on my Gen 3-no fitting required.
If I was going to do it over again, I would buy another barrel from KKM, no question.

James Elroy Flecker

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Yondering,

cool

He didn't go into details, but I emphasized the fact that I had purchased the barrel around 7 years ago, and he immediately said that it would work with the Gen 4 G20 and 'all generations of the G40, also'.
I will admit I was a bit surprised that they are compatible, but that's what the man at KKM stated.

They must have switched to the gen 4 cut then, which is backwards compatible with previous gens anyway. That would be a logical choice for KKM. My gen 3 examples are older than that, and I've only bought gen 4 since then so I can't confirm what you were told.

(Also FYI, the G40 is only gen 4 at this point.)

You can verify easily for yourself, just look at that cut in front of the recoil lug and compare to another gen 3 or 4 barrel.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think a 7” KKM for my G-40 would be cool. 1” of SS barrel sticking out from the slide would make it an even bigger gun but for hunting, who cares.

DF

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1Longbow, 1936M71, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 66 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,057
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.