Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I will say though, I just sent a bolt to someone as far away as I could possibly send it and still be in the US to get a new handle welded, and I got it back exactly one week after he received it. That means he had a two day turnaround and it was less than $100 including shipping and insurance.

That is kind of hard to beat and I will use him again.

Who was this?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Should be a flat rate charge for these kind of jobs. Hasbeen

Agreed.

It should be noted that bedding a Mauser action and bedding a 700 are two different jobs. Further, there's more that one way to skin both these cats.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I do my own bedding, Devcon 10110 steel putty. it's really not that difficult.

If you have the skills to make a peanut butter sandwich, you should be able to master bedding.

I have used local gunsmithing for lathe work, and I always ask for a price or estimate up front. No surprises thank you.

Peanut butter sandwich crazy laugh
Gawd.
Hahahaha!!!
Wood stocked rifles I have done many times.
Dremel with a ball end bit and a straight bit, release agent ( many options) fine hair brush for release agent, good masking tape to cover areas on stock from bedding squeezing out, couple popsicle sticks, some 400 sandpaper to sand and blend the edge over flow, bedding material of choice.

25 dollar project max......

Says the guy who maintains no FFL, has no ATF audits, has no website to keep up, has no shop to keep up, no inventory to purchase or maintain, no employees to pay, no taxes to pay, no advertising fees, no materials to purchase, no interruptions, no phone calls to answer, purchases no machinery, and has no business to run.

I am not saying $375 is a fair price- it is too steep. But $25? BullSchnizzle...

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I just paid $10k yesterday to get two chimneys recapped.
4 guys with 3 trucks were here for 1.5 days.

You do the math.
when you say "recapped"

Are you talking fancy metal covering to keep rain oit of the flue

Or are you talking about reflashing?

Flashing on the bottom at the roof, concrete on top of the chimney.

Dang.

I used to regrind the mortar joints, run new gutter gauge alum step flashing, and drill/pin over that with counter flashing, rebuild the valley cricket and redo the steps and counters on the back of the chimney for about an extra $500-1000. And I thought I was making out good. Took me about a day to do one by myself.

As the concrete topper, used to do those for Century 21 and ERA realty and title companies when the house was being sold. 5 gal bucket, gloves, smoothing trowel, 40lbs of fast set with a cool whip bowl of portland mix in. About 2 hour job, $15 worth of materials. $150-200

Hell maybe I was a schmuck and couldve got more. Mexicans were cutting my throat on those kind of prices.

I thought making a $100 an hour...hmm I better go slow and drag this out so people dont think I'm ripping them off. Used to tell them I was going to get materials. I'd just go sit at burger king and sip coke or go bid some more jobs. lol

Wow, just wow. Anyway, resume thread.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
35084Elk, Renegade 50 gave the cost to do it yourself NOT what the gunsmith should charge.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Two types of people work on guns, Gunsmiths and idiots...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Two types of people work on guns, Gunsmiths and idiots...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Next time get the price up front

Sam......

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I do my own bedding, Devcon 10110 steel putty. it's really not that difficult.

If you have the skills to make a peanut butter sandwich, you should be able to master bedding.

I have used local gunsmithing for lathe work, and I always ask for a price or estimate up front. No surprises thank you.

Peanut butter sandwich crazy laugh
Gawd.
Hahahaha!!!
Wood stocked rifles I have done many times.
Dremel with a ball end bit and a straight bit, release agent ( many options) fine hair brush for release agent, good masking tape to cover areas on stock from bedding squeezing out, couple popsicle sticks, some 400 sandpaper to sand and blend the edge over flow, bedding material of choice.

25 dollar project max......

Says the guy who maintains no FFL, has no ATF audits, has no website to keep up, has no shop to keep up, no inventory to purchase or maintain, no employees to pay, no taxes to pay, no advertising fees, no materials to purchase, no interruptions, no phone calls to answer, purchases no machinery, and has no business to run.

I am not saying $375 is a fair price- it is too steep. But $25? BullSchnizzle...

25 bucks for materials for me to do it for myself Zippy.
Did I say I was doing it for others anywhere in that post for a living.
Nope I sure didnt....

I dont pay "gunsmiths" schitt to do stuff I can do myself and do it better.

I do work for myself and friends as a hobby.
And I'm OCD as hell about the quality of what I do in my lane.
My rep amongst people I associate with is important to me
Never have asked for money other than material cost.
Never will accept it either for "work" .

Have seen plenty of work nation wide.
Skilled gunsmith craftsmen work.

And self titled " gunsmiths" some good, some down right excellent.

Seen way too many turn out hack job con artist work in my opinon also.
I cant even count the numbers of times I have unfugged "work"
done by some "gunsmith" ....
PT Barnum supposedly said a sucker is born every minute.

Word.........

Last edited by renegade50; 04/05/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup, real craftsmanship there.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by kingston
I will say though, I just sent a bolt to someone as far away as I could possibly send it and still be in the US to get a new handle welded, and I got it back exactly one week after he received it. That means he had a two day turnaround and it was less than $100 including shipping and insurance.

Who was this?

Dan Armstrong At Accu-tig in Alaska.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by haverluk

Bedding job does not look very good although probably functionally adequate. He tells me it took him three hours and my total was $375 plus tax. This no-name smith is changing $125 per labor hour.

There's a reason it doesn't look good...... If it took him 3 hours to do a skim bedding job on a McMillan stock he doesn't know what he's doing. He charged you hourly for something that took 3 times as long as it should.....and should have been a flat rate to start with.

I think Brownell's used to post common hourly gunsmith rates....can't remember where I saw it.

.....pay the man and move on.....if you do anything else with him it's all on you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston

Who was this?

Dan Armstrong At Accu-tig in Alaska.

It's not Guam, but that's a hike!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
Darcy Echols probabaly isn’t even that expensive....

This is my thinking....

Legends start at $15,000

If bedding is below $375, then he's charging a hell of a lot for the rest of the build process.

maybe $2500 to fit up a barrel...? $2000 bluing job..?...$5000 to work over the action?

so far we are still under $10 K,... ..add pre 64 action $600, barrel $350 , mcMilan stock $600 ,
bottom metal $600 , custom mounts $2500 ? ...decelerator pad and paint ...should make...$15K... grin

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My gunsmith of many years just bedded and did a trigger job on a Ruger 35 Whelen for me. I picked it up this morning after he had it for a week and a half. He said he bedded it 3 times trying to get it perfect. He wasn't happy because even though it was fully functional it still doesn't look like he wants it to. Although he has gotten allot of my money over the years, he would only accept $100 for the bedding/trigger job. I know some smiths are super meticulous and churn out a flawless bedding job that costs what you paid or more. However, it doesn't sound like you received that quality of work. Sounds like you are just stuck with this bill. Just suck this one up and move on, especially if you didn't ask about pricing

Last edited by TxHunter80; 04/05/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So I went to pick up my 9.3x62 from the gunsmith yesterday.

FN98 action in a McMillan edge stock. Asked for smith to glass bed the action. Bedding job does not look very good although probably functionally adequate. He tells me it took him three hours and my total was $375 plus tax. This no-name smith is changing $125 per labor hour.

I did not ask prior to what the labor rate was. Shame on me but in all my time working with reputable smiths the rates has varied from $40-$75 per hour. Am I off base with this?

I am pissed that a simple glass bedding job cost that much but the work is done.

Do I have any option for recourse or am I obligated to pay the man and move on?

You should have asked the cost before telling him to do the job.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatdoyaknow. Somebody finally said it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
How do so many man have so many problems being a man.

1) You know before going it, what man don't know that.

2) If you don't like it, or the price, you discuss with the one charging the price/doing the work. Who the fugg complains about it on a forum.

I am not interested your sympathies or guidance of your idea of manhood.

Was explaining an occurrence with a lesson learned and trying to gauge the current rates of hourly gunsmith labor.

If you can't figure out from the blood running down your leg and the difficulty sitting that you got ass raped, you ain't in a 'lesson learned' position.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I did not ask prior to what the labor rate was. Herein lies your answer in perfect totality.

Am I off base with this? Yes, to the point where it was pointless to even ask the question.

I am pissed that a simple glass bedding job cost that much but the work is done. Why didn't you simply do it yourself, for the cost of some bedding compound from Brownells?

Do I have any option for recourse or am I obligated to pay the man and move on? You could always go whine about it on 24 Hour Campfire...

There you go, you're welcome.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ain't hard to know who and where! wink

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 308xray, 24 invisible), 1,632 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,286
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.