Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by 340boy
Oscars are trash, kill'm all.

Oscars are cool! At least when they are little( under 4 inches or so?)

Simple minded aquarium owners dump their fish in Florida waters when they move. Now we have Oscars in all of central and south Florida waters where we once had bluegills and bass. Oh, and piranhas too' along with a long list of other invasive non-native species. Pizzes me off to the 10's.

Yes, oscars are a lot of fun in an aquarium. But they absolutely have no business in waters north of the Rio Grande.
I was going to comment that we have no issues with tropical fishes becoming viable in our non-temperate climate. But then I exercised my Google-fu. I had heard of a colony of convict cichlids in a hot spring in Nevada. But I was surprised to learn at least a couple of colonies exist in Idaho, Wyoming, and Nevada.

They probably became established in association with a hot spring. But how many years will it take for them to adapt to cooler temperatures and begin to replace native fish in a damaging manner.

But then the same thing could be said about lm and sm bass, bluegill, crappie, pheasant, and a host of other animal and plant species.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Simple minded aquarium owners dump their fish in Florida waters when they move. Now we have Oscars in all of central and south Florida waters where we once had bluegills and bass. Oh, and piranhas too' along with a long list of other invasive non-native species. Pizzes me off to the 10's.

Yes, oscars are a lot of fun in an aquarium. But they absolutely have no business in waters north of the Rio Grande.
I was going to comment that we have no issues with tropical fishes becoming viable in our non-temperate climate. But then I exercised my Google-fu. I had heard of a colony of convict cichlids in a hot spring in Nevada. But I was surprised to learn at least a couple of colonies exist in Idaho, Wyoming, and Nevada.

They probably became established in association with a hot spring. But how many years will it take for them to adapt to cooler temperatures and begin to replace native fish in a damaging manner.

But then the same thing could be said about lm and sm bass, bluegill, crappie, pheasant, and a host of other animal and plant species.

Convict cichlids are no joke. I had a spawning pair that were under 4" long. My buddy gave me a 55gal tank with an Oscar that was over 8" long. I tried to tell him that the Oscar was going to get its butt kicked but he didn't believe me. Those convicts killed it overnight. Mean little fuggers.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I have had a couple of convicts which had to learn to live out on the deck with the kitties. Guess who won?

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Should of flushed him down the toilet. A fish that can't survive in a sewage treatment plant isn't worth keeping anyway.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I have had a couple of convicts which had to learn to live out on the deck with the kitties. Guess who won?

We have two different batches of convict babies right now, half a dozen or less will make it and not be a munchie for adults

I doubt Oscars can survive in the wild here apparently even Talipa can't. I have read reports of them being caught but F&G says no populations exist...
Then F&G says we only have turtles in North Idaho but I have seen two near and in the Payette River

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Fish Lives Matter.. You Florida guys are gifted w/ a rapidly changing ecosystem, Oscars, Pythons, Cubans, 'flave.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Fish Lives Matter.. You Florida guys are gifted w/ a rapidly changing ecosystem, Oscars, Pythons, Cubans, 'flave.

mike r

Travis will be the death of them, I'd imagine. grin

Last edited by 340boy; 04/07/19.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
People really don't think about the long term effects of what they do. There is a lake in Indiana that anyone can drop a boat into, but no one can take that same boat anywhere else. There is a parasite in the water they do not want to escape the lake alive, and it gets inside outboard engines. Launching a fishing boat there is a one way event.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
There was a big ass goldfish in a little garden pond out back when we moved in here. It froze last winter. (What do I know about goldfish maintenance?)

I pitched it out in the yard and the neighbors dog et it.

I hope the law don't find out.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by KC

Should of flushed him down the toilet. A fish that can't survive in a sewage treatment plant isn't worth keeping anyway.

Little ones get to swim in the septic tank, but I really do not want to have to snake decomposing fish carcasses out of the toilet throat.

Local Boise news was all over a story a couple years ago about some prehistoric armored fish found along the banks of the Boise river.

Someone finally took where it could be identified. A very common plecostomus sold at every pet and aquarium store in the nation for the purpose of consuming algae from the aquarium walls. But they do not do well in water below 70 degrees.

IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
At 40-50 bucks you would think he would have sold them.

At least channel cats are good eating.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Jag, 40 to 50 bucks is totally unrealistic. Usually one can not even give away an adult oscar. Oh, and oscars are very popular sport and food fishes in their native waters. About like a really warm water specimen of a small mouth bass and about the same size.

The juveniles at a couple inches length can be purchased at Walmart every day for $5 to $10.

The only way one would see the price mentioned might be from a specialty aquarium service company to supply an adult fish for a mature display. Think professionally maintained tank in your waiting room or a hospital. Or for a special designer color pattern.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I did receive an award from the Fish and Game service for salvaging this fish from a sewage lagoon...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I did receive an award from the Fish and Game service for salvaging this fish from a sewage lagoon...

[Linked Image]

Nice. But how cold was that Montana water? That was taken in September, after all. wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Morons

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
I hope you guys can see where this is headed!!

Yup... if this can stick it is a pretty short dance to outlawing sticking sharpened iron in their lips...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

And a spotted sucker fish called a Plecostimus, they are everywhere!

Last edited by rickt300; 04/08/19.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
North Carolina animal abuse laws don’t cover fish; man who abandoned pet sees charges dropped, DA says

A North Carolina man charged with animal cruelty for allegedly abandoning a pet fish after he was evicted from his home saw all charges dropped Tuesday because the state’s animal abuse laws don’t protect fish, officials said.

Michael Ray Hinson, 53, was originally charged with three counts of misdemeanor cruelty to animals and one count of abandonment of an animal earlier this month after sheriff’s deputies said they discovered his pet fish swimming in a dirty tank with open sores and lesions on its head.

People should be fired.

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/n...bandoned-pet-has-charges-dropped-da-says

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’d get the death penalty if the green weenies saw what I did after landing a keeper. I initiate a blunt force injury to the cranium and slice the gills while the heart is still pumping. That’d be a great way to deal with a large segment of our population come to think of it....

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I have an uncle that lives in Naples, Fl and back in the 90's I would go visit him in the spring
just to go Oscar fishing in the Everglades, People had dumped the Oscars in the canals along
Alligator Alley and the had taken over the canals. There were every where in abundance. One morning
there was an unsuspected cold snap that dropped to about 58 degrees and when we got to our
area the cold had killed all of the Oscars in the area, They were laying on the bottom of the canals dead. It took a few
years for them to come back in fishable numbers. They were fun to catch on light tackle and are very
good eating.

Anyone that doesn't learn something new everyday has their eyes and ears closed with their mouths open.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1lessdog, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,109
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.