Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A bad Ruger is rare but does happen. I have and have owned so many it is crazy. I still have an original Mark I and 2 Mark III pistols.
Once I bought a new Mark II and could not hit anything, then I seen the bullets were hitting the ground in front of me. Bore looked good and the crown looked good. Ruger sent me a new gun that shot lights out.
I won the Ohio state IHMSA shoot with my Ruger using WW Wildcat ammo. I even hit all the 25 yard shoot off chickens at 100 yards. It was a new gun with no sight settings at all but my spotter seen hits so I missed the first pig, turkey and ram out of 60 shots. I still have it and a stainless slabside that will poke one hole at 25 yards.
Rem made good ammo back then but changed the bullet. WW high velocity was super but the cheap Wildcats shot better. But all changed as speed was needed to make so many .22 rounds. Eley shot poor but RWS R50 ammo shot small holes but had little power left at 100 to knock steel down. Thunder Bolts never shot for me. Bulk WW gives all kinds of reports from cracks to thuds with many fails to even fire. Bulk Fed has a problem too. CCI is not quite as accurate as the old stuff but is consistent. Things have changed and back in the day it was nothing to shoot under 1" at 100 with a Marlin 39 with WW high speed. Hundreds of head shot squirrels with it. I head shot squirrels at 50 with the Mark II off hand. Thunder Bolts shoot better in a fire!

GB1

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Rimfire is funny that way, and the threads show it, take one that won’t shoot in one mans rifle, and someone else can’t get enough of it for theirs.

I really like the new pistol, hope we can figure out why it is holding on to so much of each bullet, thanks again for the comebacks

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is the liner tight?

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Didn’t try the liner nut, I've had it broken down enough times to know it isn’t loose enough to be moving at all. It’s crazy how the bore looks perfect when it’s clean, exceptional actually, until I shoot it. If Ruger wants it back, I’ll let them look at it before I try any other ammo. I like the pistol, just need to get over this hump! Thanks to all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Is the liner tight?

Hint...............

Can't see the pictures either but I wondered about the liner and barrel or the screw on cap alignment.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Liner nut is right and tight, cap is a-ok and just behind the muzzle of the liner. Talked with Beth at Ruger, she was more than willing to set up the return trip, and then I asked about aftermarket parts I have installed, as before, Ruger wants them to leave in factory form if they work on them. I still have all the factory parts, and we discussed options, she was very accommodating. Before I swap all the stock parts back into it for the return trip to get looked at, I am going to try another batch of ammo, to see if it will do any better. I have some CCI Standard velocity ammo I will run through it.

Just got the Madd Maccs plate for the RMR, and the 1moa RMR is on the way, should be fun when it all works. Thanks again

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lotsa FF3's weathering well here,aboard same(understatement).

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My MKIV 22/45 with a JPoint on it. I've closed up the ports on the brake twice but never ran a patch down the barrel. Shooting CCI SV (which it really doesn't like) Blazer, Mini Mags, Federal bulk pack, Remington sub sonic (I know), Eley 10x, Winchester Power points and Winchester high velocity stuff among a few other brands that I'm forgettng. I do have Hogue grips on it now.
[Linked Image]

I'd send it back and never try the TB's in the new barrel.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
TB's have a bad rep but I don't think they can be blamed for leading like the OP described.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by deflave
TB's have a bad rep but I don't think they can be blamed for leading like the OP described.

Actually, they can be blamed. I've heard the guys on rimfirecentral say they dug it out of their rifles in long strings, same with various makes of various pistols. Thunderbolts seem to be the worst of the worst in this regard, excepting some Russian stuff that was available some years ago.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's not slugging up or is too soft or what?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
[quote=deflave] I've heard the guys on rimfirecentral say they dug it out of their rifles in long strings

So that is what now - 3rd hand information? Complete BS by the way. If you have a bore that leads to the point of keyholing with Thunderbolts, then it is going to lead with Winchesters, Federal, etc. as they all use a dry lubed soft lead bullet.

Every 22 I've ever owned was ammo-sensitive accuracy-wise. But none would lead to the point of keyholing with Thunderbolts and I've shot a bazzillion of them.

My guess is that there is something wrong with the Ruger's bore.

Last edited by dla; 04/17/19.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,383
Posts18,469,596
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.