Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A Canadian friend cooked one for me a few years back. I had the locker save beef kidneys the last butcher job.

What do you think? Anyone do the dish?

(yes, I have heard that old joke)

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The dish has always intrigued me (and frightened me just a bit).

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
An old English, and Canadian dish John. Much like the sourdough bread, some dishes I want to "master", if only once.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have one every cruise, at their British Pub Lunch !

[Linked Image]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Indians around here eat beef kidneys like candy. Mostly just salted and raw. No thanks for me on that.

I’ve heard of kidney pie but never seen or eaten one. Any good?

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I do the dish and I love it !

Lynn

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Care to share your recipe Miss Lynn?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mother would rinse thoroughly then dice into about 1" chunks and saute. Loved them. Haven't eaten them in a long time may try finding some locally (beef). Anyone eat deer/elk kidneys?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kidney is popular here with the tribe. I had never eaten it so Dad cooked some up for fun. After boiling in several changes of water to me it tasted like a cow yard smells. The dogs liked it though.

On reflection I think I know what the problem was. The Sioux used gall for seasoning. Yeeeah. Stick your knife in the gall bladder and wipe it on the meat before taking a bite.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Care to share your recipe Miss Lynn?

I use Delia Smith's recipe, enjoy !

Lynn

INGREDIENTS

For the filling

1 lb (450 g) chuck steak (braising steak), in one piece
8 oz (225 g) beef kidney
1 oz (25 g) beef dripping (I use lard, my Grandmother used bacon fat/grease)
2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
1½ level tablespoons plain flour
½ level teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
15 fl oz (425 ml) beef stock
salt and freshly milled black pepper

For the pastry:

8 oz (225 g) plain flour, plus a little extra for rolling
pinch salt
2 oz (50 g) butter, at room temperature, cut into smallish lumps
2 oz (50 g) lard, at room temperature, cut into smallish lumps
1 egg, beaten with a tablespoon of milk, to glaze

For the extra steak and kidney gravy:

meat trimmings from the steak and kidney
1 onion, peeled and halved
½ oz (10 g) beef dripping
1 heaped dessertspoon flour
few drops Worcestershire sauce
salt and freshly milled black pepper

ADDITIONAL
Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 1, 275°F (140°C).

EQUIPMENT

You will also need a sloping-sided tin or pie plate with a 7 inch (18 cm) base, lightly greased, a lidded, flameproof casserole with a capacity of 4 pints (2.25 litres) and a solid baking sheet.

METHOD

Begin by trimming the steak and cutting it into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes.

Then trim the beef kidney and chop it minutely small. Keep the meat trimmings to make extra gravy to serve with the pie. Now, heat the dripping in the casserole. Dry the meat with kitchen paper and, when the fat is really hot, add a few cubes at a time to brown on all sides, removing them to a plate as they brown. After that, add all the pieces of kidney and after browning these remove them to join the steak. Now, keeping the heat high, fry the chopped onion for 6-7 minutes or until it's nicely browned at the edges. Then return all the meat to the casserole and stir in the flour to soak up all the juices.

Next, add the thyme, followed by the Worcestershire sauce. Add a good seasoning of salt and pepper and then gradually stir in the stock and bring the whole lot to simmering point. Now put a lid on the casserole and place on the centre shelf of the oven for 2 hours. When the meat is cooked taste to check the seasoning and leave it to get cold.

While the meat cooks you can get ahead and make the stock for the extra gravy. Simply place the meat trimmings in a medium-sized saucepan with half the onion, cover with 1 pint (570 ml) water, add some seasoning and simmer, covered, for approximately 1 hour. Then strain the stock and rinse the pan. To make the pastry, first of all sift the flour with the salt, holding the sieve up high to give it a good airing. Then add the butter and the lard and, using only your fingertips, lightly and gently rub the fat into the flour.

When the mixture is crumbly, sprinkle in a tablespoon of cold water. Start to mix the pastry with a knife and finish with your hands, adding a few more drops of water if necessary for a smooth dough. Put the pastry in a polythene bag and place in the refrigerator to rest. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6, 400°F (200°C) and place a baking sheet on a high shelf to pre-heat as well. To make the pie, first cut the pastry in half and, on a lightly floured surface, thinly roll out one half into a circle approximately 11 in (28 cm) in diameter.

Now transfer the circle, first rolling it over the pin and then over the base of the tin, and press it lightly and firmly around the base, sides and rim. Now take a sharp knife and trim the overlapping pastry and, after that, spoon in the filling. Now roll the remaining pastry out in the same way. Brush the rim of the base pastry with a little of the beaten egg and milk glaze and fit the other pastry circle on the top to form a lid. Press the edges firmly together, then trim off the excess and flute the edges.

Finally, if you want to decorate the pie, gather up the trimmings and re-roll them to cut out leaf shapes. Either way, make a small hole in the centre the size of a 5p (I use a quarter piece, to allow the steam to escape). Then brush the surface all over with the beaten egg and milk glaze. Now place the pie on the baking tray and bake for 10 minutes.

After that, reduce the temperature to gas mark 4, 350°F (180°C) and cook for a further 40-45 minutes, or until it is piping hot and has turned a deep golden-brown. While the pie is cooking you can make the extra gravy by frying the remaining half onion, chopped small, in the beef dripping until soft and blackened at the edges. Next, stir in the flour and gradually add the stock little by little to make a smooth gravy, adding a spot of gravy browning if it's needed. Taste to check the seasoning and add a few drops of Worcestershire sauce. Let the pie relax for about 10 minutes before serving.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Colour me happy !

smile

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,426
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.