Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by hanco
Lots of songs reference the Whippoorwill.

Where you live you are most likely to be listening to the Whippoorwills big brother, that being the bigger ‘n a pigeon-sized Chuck-Wills-Widow......

Big enough to swallow small birds, reptiles and rodents whole but large insects usually suffice. And gloriously loud close-up, if ya ever have one sitting on the roof you’ll know it.

The Whippoorwill passes through in numbers but breeds up north, and is pretty quiet on migration .

Yep. That’s what we have here.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree on Hanks song. As to the volume of the whippoorwill’s song, it is louder than I can duplicate by far.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I love to hear them in the Springtime. It gets me happy.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m going to lease by Austin this weekend. There are bunches of them right now.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by hanco
I’m outside listening to a couple whippoorwills. Does anyone else have them pass through where you live?

Wish we had them out here. I love their cry. I'll have to do with the meadowlarks that have begun to arrive.

I only heard a Whippoorwill a few times when living down south, beautiful to hear. I heard my first Meadow Lark here, just 2 or 3 days ago! Good to have them back! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool birds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Funniest one was Spring Break ‘86, Hot Springs Arkansas. Campground packed, brilliant moonlit night. 2am a just-arrived Chuck-Wills-Widow shows up, calling loud as all get out grin Moving from place to place around the campground.

Yells from all over.... SHUUUT UP BIRD!!! BIIIRD!! SHUUUT UUP!!

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have them here, and the old folks said that their song meant it was time to plant corn. They translated the whip-por-rill into...plant your one grain. Not as many as there used to be though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Y’all ever heard the Rain Bird. ? Don’t know their proper name, but old folks around hear swear it means the rain is coming.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Y’all ever heard the Rain Bird. ? Don’t know their proper name, but old folks around hear swear it means the rain is coming.

Yep! When I was a kid, used to see and hear them all the time. I’d forgotten about them! Brings back memories, seeing that name again. Living in Louisiana, the “Rain Bird” forecast was pretty accurate! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rare to see or hear, but they were called "rain crows" in WVa. I think actually a Cuckoo. Most could assign a name to the call, but few had ever seen the bird. I found one example of the black billed variety, and that one was a fresh road kill.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/19/19.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I grew up in rural north east PA and we had them every year, have not heard one since I moved away I miss their calls.

Ted
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
Rare to see or hear, but they were called "rain crows" in WVa. I think actually a Cuckoo. Most could assign a name to the call, but few had ever seen the bird. I found one example of the black billed variety, and that one was a fresh road kill.

I knew that when I wrote “Rain Bird”.....it didn’t sound correct! Thanks for setting me straight! We had quite a few around when I was a kid! They seemed to be pretty shy, careful..... however you may want to describe them. They kept out of Benjamin Pump range pretty well! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/19/19.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neighbor lady is camping with her daughter over on the ridge over from me watching the fire and listening to them. Peaceful.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
We had whippoorwills at the old house when I first moved there 20+ years ago, then for some reason they disappeared.

I am really happy that they are here at the new house every year so far. Love to hear them and yes, for a small bird they are very loud.

Hear rain crows pretty often.

The one I miss is the Bobwhites. There were some around at the old house for one year about 10 years or so ago but they left too.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We have chuck-wills-widow here, I haven't heard one yet this year. Most people call them whippoorwills but their calls have the distinctive "ch" sound at the first. I don't think there are any whippoorwills this far west.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They're very common here in N.E. Texas. I believe we have chuck wills widow, but everybody calls them whip poor wills. I bet there's a half dozen or more of them calling in the woods behind the house right now.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dave284
The one I miss is the Bobwhites. There were some around at the old house for one year about 10 years or so ago but they left too.

I live in the middle of a 300 acre farm, nearest neighbor a half mile away, so the wildlife is all around. One of the things I always loved the most about late spring and early summer was to hear the Bobwhites whistling, and we've been here for almost 35 years. The place was always full of Bobwhites whistling in all directions. They'd come right up in the yard when I'd call back to them. I haven't heard one in about 5 years. I have no idea where they went.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nightjars have a similar place in my heart -- African childhood. The montane nightjar from Ethiopia and the fiery-necked nightjar of RSA sounded close enough for me. Wish whippoorwills could be heard near me. (In fact, I find most American birds boring. Blue jays, painted buntings, a few others are interesting, but nothing like East Africa.) "Whip poor Will" here and in South Africa its "Good LORD deliver-r-r-r-r!"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Bull bats and whippoorwills here.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 48 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,513
Posts18,490,790
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.