Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
Those Low Walls aren't twisted very tight.

I emailed Browning very recently asking exactly what the Low Wall .260 was twisted and how many were manufactured for that cartridge. I’ve yet to get an answer. What little literature I’ve been able find on Browning Arms says 1/10, but it’s not firearm specific.I’ve heard both 1/9.5 and 1/10.

I’ve played with the Hornaday 140 IL bullet a bit and I didn’t have any issues - but since buying a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 CM, I plan to just run 140’s in it and lighter bullets in the LW.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Even though you said not to if it were mine and I wanted more performance I would go AI. It will cost about the same as re-cutting the throat and will produce an honest 150 fps gain. Since the 280AI is legitimized it won't hurt the re-sale price if that is a consideration. Otherwise I wouldn't bother altering the throat.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tejano
Even though you said not to if it were mine and I wanted more performance I would go AI. It will cost about the same as re-cutting the throat and will produce an honest 150 fps gain. Since the 280AI is legitimized it won't hurt the re-sale price if that is a consideration. Otherwise I wouldn't bother altering the throat.

It’s a .260....... not a .280

BT53

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Originally Posted by Tejano

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have two Ruger 260s and one Rem VLS...

They each had short throats... I had each one throated out to handle 140 grain Sierra HPs, at magazine lenght... using IMR 4350, 140s run 2750 fps out of the 22 inch barrel Rugers and 2800 fps out of the 26 inch Rem VLS...

I'll have to lay with RL 26 with the Hornady ELD bullets.. since I have plenty of both...

for brass, I've always necked down Win 308 or 7/08 brass....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those Ruger 260's are worth some money these days. Hard to find

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 79S
Those Ruger 260's are worth some money these days. Hard to find

These two won't be going anywhere until I'm dead...both stainless...one still with Zytel Stock, the other a Ruger Laminate take off... have a pair of twin 243s also, Ruger SA stainless....

Then a non identical pair of twin Rugers on a LA, blued and wood.... 6.5 x 55 and 7 x 57...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
I have a single shot 1885 in 260 Remington.

I like to shoot long bullets like the Barnes 127 LRX, and the rap against the 260 Rem is for typical short-action magazines the bullets need to be seated too deep, taking up potential powder volume and limiting velocity.

But cartridge OAL isn't a limitation with a single shot. For those of you that know the 260 Rem cartridge, would it be worth it for me to have the throat lengthened? What might I gain in velocity?

Please don't suggest other cartridges (or ask me to post pictures of the rifle!)... just share the likely benefits of lengthening the throat on a 260 Rem.

Thanks,
GC

GC,

As has been pointed out, a lot of folks out there mistakenly lengthen the throat to allow those long VLD type bullets to be seated out farther. The reason the VLD types are long is the length of the nose, not the bearing surface.

My Browning Low Wall .260 is a 1:9” twist. I have seen other numbers posted in various places, 1:9.5 or 1:10, but mine is a 1:9. That being said if yours is truly a 1:9.5”, I would definitely seat some of whatever VLD type bullets I wanted to shoot to the lands and see for myself how significant the powder intrusion is. I would then shoot said bullets to see if they were adequately stabilizing and give me satisfactory accuracy. If you don’t want to do that, put the bullet specs into a stability calculator and see what it tells you about likely stability. JBM has one as does the Berger Bullets website and I am sure there are others. The Barnes website shows a 1:8” twist minimum for the 127gr LRX so I very much doubt you would get satisfactory results from your 1:9.5” twist.

There are other very suitable options. As mentioned above, I’ve had very good results from both the 129gr Hornady interlock, and the 130gr Nosker Accubond. Both shoot well from my Low Wall and both perform very well on game.

While my Low Wall shoots very well, it is not the rifle I choose when I’m wanting to reach way out there. Effectively shooting long range requires a scope well suited to it with good tracking target type turrets and enough elevation travel. Such requirements usually mean the scope is fairly large, which dictates big sturdy mounts and all that is just out of place on the petite, trim Low Wall. You could go with a good reliable 1” scope with a decent ballistic reticle and do some great work out to 600 or so, but after that, I’d be grabbing one of my rigs designed for the task. I’ve had some really good results from a 3-9 conquest with the Rapid Z 600 reticle but had a HD5 Conquest crap out on me, so often you are rolling the dice.

If your Low Wall is a Browning, there were relatively few of them made in .260 which means they are somewhat collectible. There is no way I would molest mine and potentially destroy that value.

All of this was just a very long winded way of recommending against you modifying your Low Wall but I hope it helps you with your decision.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
John,

Weren't you able to get good results with the Berger 130 VLD?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It would be hard to add anything to what Hondo64d, wrote.....

Mine only gets to hunt on days/places where I can limit any damage to it.
I bought the Kimber Hunter 6.5cm to take the abuse of quads/trucks, poor weather or terrain.
The Low Wall is a legacy firearm that’ll stay in my family.

BT53

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oops that reading comprehension thing. I never thought the 260AI was a worthwhile step up to re-bore a rifle. If starting from scratch then a viable option.

Mathman and Hondo hit the nail on the head the Low Wall will top out with the 140s due to twist not throat length. The beauty of the Low Wall is a great looking stalking rifle that is a joy to carry and shoot. Mine in 243 has I believe a 100% run of one shot kills to the point I don't recall how many the total #s are. I guess there is something in a single shot making you make the first shot count a little more.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by mathman
John,

Weren't you able to get good results with the Berger 130 VLD?

I don’t recall trying the VLDs in my Low Wall.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
No wonder my memory of that is hazy. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeezus Fhuqking Gawd...your STUPID is huge. Congratulations?!?

Hint...…………………….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by keith
Grousechaser, with your current throat, seat the 127 barnes .050 off the lands, use R#26, find pressure, then start playing with primer choices. I would start with a cci 250. I would not hesitate to use the 127 on elk as they shoot holes through deer from butt to shoulder exits.

We started finding great accuracy around 3000 and up.

Stick is correct, it is a schitty bullet, and expensive. For another better schitty short range bullet, a 129g Hornady proved to be just as effective with great penetration and expansion making great hog bullets...at least you can live with the price.

The 260 loves the 143 eld-x and 140g SST with R#26, velocity is going to shock you. Tough Lapua brass will help make your life easier because this round likes a hot load with the 143's around 2900 at least.

I made brass from Lapua Palma brass(small primer with cci 450) and turned necks, HARD TO KILL THIS BRASS.

If you want to shoot a 130 ish grain bullet, then go Accubond. We had 130g bergers not go through deer...no blood trail is not a good thing when they run off.

R#26 Re-defines the 260 Remington, after you find pressure, best accuracy will be within 1.5g of a max load for your rifle, don't be scared to find pressure in your rifle. H4350 and H4831 will suck hind tit as you soon will find out.

I would not lengthen the throat. Use a long drop tube powder funnel from Forster or make a long drop tube from an arrow shaft for slower burning powders. OAL on the 260 with std reamer has got you in a bind with std magazine Length to begin with, lengthening would make chasing throat geometry impossible.

Keith: thanks for this helpful response. I'll try that #26!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
For $160 you can get a pacific 6.5-06 Ackley reamer.
For $200 you can get a Redding 6.5-06 Ackley die set.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Clarkm
For $160 you can get a pacific 6.5-06 Ackley reamer.
For $200 you can get a Redding 6.5-06 Ackley die set.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

If I had a single shot 260 and wanted more performance, I'd rechamber it to 6.5-06 AI.

The 1-9" ROT is generally considered too slow for optimal performance with bullets longer than about 1.3".

EDIT: If the 260 has enough case capacity for your needs, I've settled on the 130 grain AB for medium game in my 260s. I've found that the 129 grain Hornady SST shoots to approximately the same POA/POI as the 130 grain AB, providing a less expensive option for practice.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 05/22/19. Reason: Added comment
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I personally think that running a reamer into that little Browning is a poor idea.
I’d have to look, but I’m doubtful that the shank is long enough to chamber the longer round.

Regardless, more importantly, to me, is the loss of collectors value. There’s just a handful of them out there.
A 130AB out of a .260 is capable of taking any game that you’d commonly turn a .260 loose on.

My $0.02

Last edited by Blacktail53; 05/23/19. Reason: Spelling

BT53

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There's no way I'd start cutting on that rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
She still hasn't fired a shot.

Hint...………………….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,702
Posts18,494,272
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.