-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And before the " do you begrudge the employees a decent wage" crowd starts chiming in no I do not was a union employee all my life BUT when the cash is tight I want the money to go to wildlife programs an to see the Good Old Boys club to live under the same medical insurance and 401s 98% of household in America do today. They still have 1970 benefit packages....WHY????????

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Virginia was a Monday opener for many decades. Changed to a Saturday opener 10 year or so ago and no one batted an eye. It gets more people out for opening day if they cant get off on a weekday. Virginia now has Sunday hunting now private land and that has helped get more people out as well. Don't like the Saturday opener then just wait til Monday. We need to be able to get kids out in the field and recruit new hunters. Openers on a weekend and Sunday hunting are no brainers for getting additional people out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cash is tight because hunters think they should pay the same for a general hunting license as they did in 2000 or so and they complain to the legislature who authorizes license increases.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Odd that deer season opener is the time to catch up with friends, hang out etc. Seems friends could find time to do that, even if there were no deer season.

The way it sounds, nobody wants to be friends with PA deer hunters. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never set foot in Pennsylvania, let alone hunted it, so I may be missing something here but I simply fail to see the issue.

You all get an extra day of hunting. If you want to take off from town on Saturday, catch up with friends and such at camp on Sunday then hunt Monday morning, this change isn't preventing that. So you're not actually hunting on opening day, if this is how you want to plan your getaway. Is hunting opening morning without taking Friday off work that big of a deal?

I'd be popping a boner if I got an extra weekend day added to my rifle season. I don't give a damn about traditions or the Sunday fun day pre-hunt drunk fest though. I guess I am the odd man out.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Nepahunter
Yeah wouldn’t even consider what ejo has to say he from California and the people that haven’t grown up in it won’t understand and that is same with this new generation that are going to start hunting now because of Saturday opener

Who said he didn't grow up there?

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Nepahunter
Yeah wouldn’t even consider what ejo has to say he from California and the people that haven’t grown up in it won’t understand and that is same with this new generation that are going to start hunting now because of Saturday opener

Actually, I grew up working on my family’s dairy farm in NY State and now own my own farm there. It’s easy to dismiss differing opinions. However, I like hunting traditions as much as anyone but am not afraid of changes that allow more options for days afield.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by battue
Cash is tight because hunters think they should pay the same for a general hunting license as they did in 2000 or so and they complain to the legislature who authorizes license increases.

That is no different here. lol But they don't complain about BUYING water that comes out of a tap.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H

They complain to the Legislature of the mis management of the deer herd, pheasants, and now turkeys while asking the Legislature to give a rate hike for employee retirement medical programs and not for game management. We Pa. sportsmen and women own the State Game Lands the PGC does not they manage it for us not them. Why reward them for poor management with a raise for their personal bennies?????

D
D
The PGC hasn't had a license increase in almost 20 years but the price of everything has gone up since then.They're mandated by the legislature and state contracts to to only have X-number of employees and they salaries,benefits and pensions that the state sets.Because of budget constraints,we have three food and cover employees who manage over 30k acres of state game lands in a 400 sq mile area.We have one WCO and no deputies patrolling the same district.I'm not sure what you mean by mismanagement but my 13 year old son has had a far better start with just about everything than I did as a 12 year old in 1980.This past year he killed a buck,several doe,Two big gobblers and around 30 pheasants all on Public and DMAP'd property open to the public.I never would have dreamed that was possible in 1980.People can continue to run to their legislators every time they don't get a deer but I'll continue to support the PGC and teach my son how to find game.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Doug's what makes you think only hunters whom did not kill a deer complain to their Legislator?
I killed a buck every year since 1967 right here in Pa. an the last 40 straight were with a bow, I quit killing does with the exception of once in a while if my venison sausage is running low. I kill them on land I own and manage for wild game. Mine son has about a 20 year streak of bucks and does too.
I got no problem with a rate hike provided the money is used for game management and not pension or medical benefits.
I pay around $2000 each year to buy hunting tags in other states why would I mind $40 in Pa.?

D
D
Why would anyone complain to their legislator if they kill a buck every year.One of the big reasons the PGC needs a license increase is to offset the rising costs of pension and medical.The state controls what the PGC has to dish out.The PGC has no control over it.When more money goes towards pensions and benefits,less will go towards game management.It's as simple as that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by douge
Why would anyone complain to their legislator if they kill a buck every year.

Game management isnt just about killing. Biological, sociological and economic factors. You specify pensions and medical under economics. Then its time to combine the agencies. How many studies does the Legislative Budget and Finance Committee have to do to prove we can do better by combining agencies? How many positions are mirrored between the 2? We are the only state in the nation with a game management agency that isnt under the general fund. I dont wanna hear the same old BS line about losing Pittman Robertson and Dingell Johnson funds. Thats plain horseschit, every other state gets em. If the legislature raids the combined agency, then we have a solution, WE VOTE THEM OUT! JUST like every other state. As it stands, we cant do schit!! The rogue agency that is the PGC has to change.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Though every LBFC report turns out the same way, one thing always stands out.....the numbers. Politics stands in the way of getting it done....

[Linked Image]

Thats a reduction of 52 employees averaging a $93,127 paycheck. This is way overdo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2014 HG&F meeting regarding LBFC study on merger. About an hour long....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Why would anyone complain to their legislator if they kill a buck every year.One of the big reasons the PGC needs a license increase is to offset the rising costs of pension and medical.The state controls what the PGC has to dish out.The PGC has no control over it.When more money goes towards pensions and benefits,less will go towards game management.It's as simple as that.

You seem to pick and choose what you want to read! Did you miss the part where I said I manage my own property? I have 685 acres of my own which is part of a 7000 acre block of land that is private an all managed for wildlife. I usually do not bother with killing does myself as I let kids come do it with permission but no adults only kids an seniors whom are at least 72 yrs old or handicapped.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

So by your logic when the pendulum swings more towards pension and medical hunters should just accept little game management by the people that have the sole responsibility to manage the game so they become stuffed suits in an empty office. Wake up!How can you possibly be happy with put and take pheasant hunting,now that the PGC themselves admit they failed at the costly pheasant programs of the last several years?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pahick

Game management isnt just about killing. Biological, sociological and economic factors. You specify pensions and medical under economics. Then its time to combine the agencies. How many studies does the Legislative Budget and Finance Committee have to do to prove we can do better by combining agencies? How many positions are mirrored between the 2? We are the only state in the nation with a game management agency that isnt under the general fund. I dont wanna hear the same old BS line about losing Pittman Robertson and Dingell Johnson funds. Thats plain horseschit, every other state gets em. If the legislature raids the combined agency, then we have a solution, WE VOTE THEM OUT! JUST like every other state. As it stands, we cant do schit!! The rogue agency that is the PGC has to change.

Current population of Pa is around 12.3 Million. May not be all that easy for around 900,000 licensed hunters, who are so divided they can't even agree on the day Deer season opens to vote anyone out.

And, by the time you get them out, the damage they cause may have become irreparable.

Some always want radical change when things are not going how they want, when fixing what you have may be the best solution. Change for only the sake of change best be done with more than a little consideration of what it will bring.

Who here thinks the legislature would not love to have control over the 1million plus acres of Gamelands?How could they achieve it? Think timber and gas where the GC has mineral rights. Gas will be big money as soon as the infrastructure is complete. Making the GC go bankrupt by not having the funds to function, and saying it is necessary to take them over would most likely be the easiest.

Too late to vote anyone out when the titles have been transferred over to the State to do with as the politicians wish.

Last edited by battue; 04/18/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
you forgot TERM LIMITS 2 -3 years not 25-30

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pahick

Current population of Pa is around 12.3 Million. May not be all that easy for around 900,000 licensed hunters, who are so divided they can't even agree on the day Deer season opens to vote anyone out.

And, by the time you get them out, the damage they cause may have become irreparable.

Some always want radical change when things are not going how they want, when fixing what you have may be the best solution. Change for only the sake of change best be done with more than a little consideration of what it will bring.

Who here thinks the legislature would not love to have control over the 1million plus acres of Gamelands?How could they achieve it? Think timber and gas where the GC has mineral rights. Gas will be big money as soon as the infrastructure is complete. Making the GC go bankrupt by not having the funds to function, and saying it is necessary to take them over would most likely be the easiest.

Too late to vote anyone out when the titles have been transferred over to the State to do with as the politicians wish.

Same BS doom and gloom ..... yet every other state in the nation deals with their legislature. But we cant do it here? Pffft!!! Blow smoke up someone elses ass.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,571
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.