Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Missouri does not want you to hunt wild hogs.
They claim better success with them doing all the removal.
I am from Missouri and they have yet to show me that this is true...

“The take of feral hogs is prohibited on conservation areas and other lands owned, leased, or managed by the Conservation Department. Hunting hogs on other lands is strongly discouraged.
Instead, report feral hog sightings to 573-522-4115, extension 3296 or online. The Conservation Department and the U.S. Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, along with other partners and hundreds of private landowners, are working to eradicate feral hogs in Missouri.
When hunters shoot feral hogs, it complicates efforts to remove these pests. Hogs are social animals that travel in groups called sounders. Shooting one or two hogs scatters the sounder and makes trapping efforts aimed at catching the entire group at once more difficult, because hogs become trap-shy and more wary of baited sites. With their high reproductive rate, removing one or two hogs does not help to reduce populations. Anyone who observes a feral hog or damage caused by feral hogs should report it to the Conservation Department rather than shooting the animal so we can work together towards eradication.
Releasing hogs is illegal. If you see someone releasing feral hogs, report violators to your local conservation agent.”

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
When it was legal to shoot them it was encouraging people to release them into the wild resulting in an increased hog population.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are absolutely correct in that.

If you have trained professionals that have hog control methods in place and potential to rid many hogs from the system, hunting them makes the hogs wary, nocturnal, and much harder to catch using methods that can and will take multiple hogs at different locations.

Hunting ain't putting a dent in them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We're from the government, and we know what's best.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Well... Perhaps you can tell us about the areas of wild hogs that hunters have rid us of?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

If you have trained professionals that have hog control methods in place and potential to rid many hogs from the system, hunting them makes the hogs wary, nocturnal, and much harder to catch using methods that can and will take multiple hogs at different locations.

Have heard that said here by those who have their fingers in the government pie...I don't really give a flying ƒuck what they think and shall continue to do as I will.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Have heard that said here by those who have their fingers in the government pie...I don't really give a flying ƒuck what they think and shall continue to do as I will.

Bwahahaha! laugh

As long as it's not with an AR, right? whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Bwahahaha! laugh

As long as it's not with an AR, right? whistle

Pretty sure they exist here.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Well... Perhaps you can tell us about the areas of wild hogs that hunters have rid us of?

Perhaps you can tell us the areas where the trappers/pros are successful?

I know a few spots in GA where the pros supposedly decimated the hogs, only to have them back again...at the cost of taxpayers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is there any place where an invasive species, once established, has been eradicated for good?

I'm certainly not in the know regarding feral hogs, but it seems like the best one could hope for is to manage the population.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4winds

I know a few spots in GA where the pros supposedly decimated the hogs, only to have them back again...at the cost of taxpayers.

Some of the effective areas of hog elimination have been done by USDA Aphis, and some are done by university agriculture studies.

You can get close to 100% control, but it has to be maintained.

"Only to have them back again"... LOL.

Well, Ace... If you could solve that problem, you'd be a rich man indeed. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4winds

Some of the effective areas of hog elimination have been done by USDA Aphis, and some are done by university agriculture studies.

You can get close to 100% control, but it has to be maintained.

"Only to have them back again"... LOL.

Well, Ace... If you could solve that problem, you'd be a rich man indeed. grin

Reminds me of the 100% guaranteed eradication of insects around my house, that I keep paying for every quarter for the past 15 years!

Look at Bigfoot, what is there 1 or 2 in the world, tops? How many professional hillbillies have been hunting him down and they can't kill his ass off either!

Sorry, but when operation government/professional anyone does anything right it's always upfront and always ends up fucqued up later on.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Same law here in Illinois. Funny that MO did this since they were bragging how hunters had removed the hog problem from Ft. Leonard Wood a few years back.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hogs aren't going anywhere no matter what. *might as well hunt them

Last edited by Fireball2; 04/17/19.

LOL
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I love missouri’ans...

SHOW ME !!!

LOL..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I suspect the "magic bullet" to control wild hogs will include biological weapons.

Planting the right disease into the hog populations with little collateral damage. (That's the trick)

Anything else is spinning our wheels.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Is there any place where an invasive species, once established, has been eradicated for good?

Screw worms. Med fly.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by FreeMe

I'm certainly not in the know regarding feral hogs, but it seems like the best one could hope for is to manage the population.

Well, yeah.

Couple islands in the Aleutians have been rid of rats and foxes. The rare subspecies of geese are doing much better, even re-establishing on places the rats and foxes had totally eliminated them from.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I suspect the "magic bullet" to control wild hogs will include biological weapons.

Planting the right disease into the hog populations with little collateral damage. (That's the trick)

Anything else is spinning our wheels.

That sounds great. I wonder what it would be?

LOL
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Missouri does not want you to hunt wild hogs.
They claim better success with them doing all the removal.
I am from Missouri and they have yet to show me that this is true...

“The take of feral hogs is prohibited on conservation areas and other lands owned, leased, or managed by the Conservation Department. Hunting hogs on other lands is strongly discouraged.
Instead, report feral hog sightings to 573-522-4115, extension 3296 or online. The Conservation Department and the U.S. Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, along with other partners and hundreds of private landowners, are working to eradicate feral hogs in Missouri.
When hunters shoot feral hogs, it complicates efforts to remove these pests. Hogs are social animals that travel in groups called sounders. Shooting one or two hogs scatters the sounder and makes trapping efforts aimed at catching the entire group at once more difficult, because hogs become trap-shy and more wary of baited sites. With their high reproductive rate, removing one or two hogs does not help to reduce populations. Anyone who observes a feral hog or damage caused by feral hogs should report it to the Conservation Department rather than shooting the animal so we can work together towards eradication.
Releasing hogs is illegal. If you see someone releasing feral hogs, report violators to your local conservation agent.”

At least shooting them on private land is still legal. Their destructive and by law you can shoot any state protected wildlife that destroys your property. Hope the Conservation Dept trapping methods works for them as the coyote trapping has! grin Not safe anytime of the year in my area for Coyotes, Armadillos, wild Hogs (not that we have that many, Groundhogs. Their not farmer friendly and farmers are not friendly with them. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.