Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Reloder28; 04/18/19.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Geez, makes me wanna go shoot.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
What Buford Boone posted: Unless you have a second confirmation of the velocity, you're not sure. An Oehler 35P does exactly that.

Which is why I still use an Oehler 35P, and why Bryan Litz uses TWO Labradars to make sure of his results.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Magneto Speed

I have mine rigged on a pedestal as a stand alone unit. It never drops a shot. It works in rain, snow, sleet, sun or low light.

I’d like to hear more about this.

One way to do it. The main issue is keeping the bayonet lined up with the bore, close enough, but not in the line of fire. It needs to be checked after each shot. Otherwise works pretty well, not influencing groups. Need a long bench. Check this one out. Sacks of deer corn in the truck, Gibraltar drum throne works great for a bench rest seat.

Have never used a LabRadar, think they are neat.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a nice setup!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks,340boy. For a short bench, Reloader's set up is better.

I like the tailgate bench for my Z-71, wasn't that hard to build..

It's easier to set up than my conventional three legged bench.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Thanks,340boy. For a short bench, Reloader's set up is better.

I like the tailgate bench for my Z-71, wasn't that hard to build..

It's easier to set up than my conventional three legged bench.

DF

I'm without a chronograph these days.Last time I bought one, around 2003-you didn't have nearly as many options. Nice to see some new ways(though with some limitations, of course).

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Just yesterday, I did a "one after the next" text with my 24" 22LR with Lapua Center-X ammo. My LR sometimes has issues picking up velocities when the "trigger" mode is set; nothing new there. I did a "trigger vs radar" test and at 75F, 10 shots each, the trigger averaged 1041 fps and the radar averaged 1042 fps. Surprising to me since the good folks at LR say the radar may not pickup the bullet until about 5' downrange; equalling a slower velocity. Seems not this time. I'm very happy.

Alan

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Folks ,

I've conversed with Buford Boone concerning my 35P . He has a dedicated range on his property & is very knowledgeable in ballistics . He worked for the government in the capacity of firearms testing and ballistics .
Do yourselves a favor and take advantage of his many years of professional experience . Listen and pay attention to his comments and remarks .
Hopefully we may all learn a little .
Soup

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Magneto Speed for me. I develop a load without the chrono. Load three rounds in .3 grain increments. Shoot groups with each increment and stop with the slightest pressure sign. Study the groups, hopefully/usually there's a clear range of 3 to 4 increments where the groups stayed tight with the same POI. Choose the middle. Slap on a Magneto Speed and fire 5 rounds into the dirt. Get velocity and verify reasonable ES. Fire a 10 shot group, because I like the warm fuzzy it gives. Done.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Slap on a Magneto Speed and fire 5 rounds into the dirt. Get velocity and verify reasonable ES.

How does a small sampling of 5 shots give you a verified and reasonable velocity and ES? And how do you know just what change those .3 increments actually did for you? I use a 35P for every shot so I don’t guess.

Swifty
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I don't guess either, I just don't need to know. If 5 shots gives me a single digit ES I'm good.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the kind words, Soup.

The main thing I try to communicate is that all velocity measurement methods have their challenges. The only thing worse than getting a bad measurement is not knowing you got a bad measurement.

The big problem with taking two measurements is having them disagree and not being able to figure out what caused it or which one is correct.

The world would be a much simpler place if the manufacturers would just make their stuff perfect.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,985
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.