Print Thread
Hop To
O
OttoG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I've spent so much time screwing around with donor actions I'm seriously considering an Alpine for my 243 build.

They look lovely but call me OCD I'm concerned about the hole spacing for the mounts. On the Borden website there appear to be various spacing on Alpine actions. Some show the rear bridge to have the front screw hole very close to the edge of the load port and some photos also show the front of the receiver to have the front hole very close to the recoil lug. Indeed some of the photos I've seen of Alpine actions seem to have bases overhanging the load port and the recoil lug which for me is not acceptable - it just seems such crap engineering and ruins the lines.

It's really hard to see from the website photos if all Alpines are like this or if the ones that see to have more normal spacing without base overhangs are Ridgelines or Timberlines?

Finally I'm now using burris signature zees for scope mounting. Is it possible to get 2 piece weaver or picattiny style bases to fit an Alpine?

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My Borden Alpine & TImberline both wear the Talley bases from Borden.

From Borden's website:

Ring and Base options

Ring and base combinations made for Remington 700 actions will not work on Borden Alpine or Borden Timberline actions. The screw holes in our actions are 8×40 and are spaced .860 apart. The rear bridge is the same height as front receiver ring thereby eliminating the possibility of using bases made for the Remington 721/722/700 family of actions. Here are some options for Rings and bases we have available:
Talley style bases made of 7050 Aluminum
Talley unitized rings made for our actions. These rings do not utilize bases and are made specifically for our actions so that the foot of the ring fits within the scallops on the action. ($53)
Hawkins Engineering Long Range Unitized 30MM medium rings with built in 25 MOA and built in level
1 piece Picatinny rails in neutral or 20MOA ramp made of aluminum or black oxide colored chrome moly steel .
Holland Shooting Supply Picatinny two piece stainless steel bases (neutral)(Available from Holland)
Aluminum Dovetail bases for rings such as Kelbly or J&J

Last edited by Reloder28; 02/19/19.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also went with the Borden/Talleys on my Alpine .243, its been my favorite set-up!!

[Linked Image]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by OttoG
I've spent so much time screwing around with donor actions I'm seriously considering an Alpine for my 243 build.

They look lovely but call me OCD I'm concerned about the hole spacing for the mounts. On the Borden website there appear to be various spacing on Alpine actions. Some show the rear bridge to have the front screw hole very close to the edge of the load port and some photos also show the front of the receiver to have the front hole very close to the recoil lug. Indeed some of the photos I've seen of Alpine actions seem to have bases overhanging the load port and the recoil lug which for me is not acceptable - it just seems such crap engineering and ruins the lines.

It's really hard to see from the website photos if all Alpines are like this or if the ones that see to have more normal spacing without base overhangs are Ridgelines or Timberlines?

Finally I'm now using burris signature zees for scope mounting. Is it possible to get 2 piece weaver or picattiny style bases to fit an Alpine?

Ken Farrell make a one piece picattany for alpine

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Check with Seekins Precision. I have one of their 20MOA mounts on my Alpine and it is scalloped to match the receiver.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You CAN get these wo the level and lighting drama. If they only sold these in a "gunsmith" version so they could be fitted to more applications. Love these things otherwise...

https://iotaoutdoors.com/store/scope-mounts/nomadzl.html/

Last edited by Blackbrush; 02/21/19.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hawkins mounts are all I’m using now. They are very well made and rock solid.

Q
Q
Hi - just joined so I can follow up on this conversation.

I am looking for a version of this one below for a Borden Alpine action - can anyone advise, or a 2 piece mount (Picatinny Style) as I have a set up that seems to be a bit tight for top loading cases at the moment.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2J2vYPN9XfU4PpU59

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images
DP-13050-2.jpg (33.78 KB, 48 downloads)
W
wsq Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
It’s not the picatinny but the talleys are really nice one piece

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by QWERTY12345
Hi - just joined so I can follow up on this conversation.

I am looking for a version of this one below for a Borden Alpine action - can anyone advise, or a 2 piece mount (Picatinny Style) as I have a set up that seems to be a bit tight for top loading cases at the moment.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2J2vYPN9XfU4PpU59

Thanks in advance.

Get ahold of cameron at Murphy's Precision he can make anything you need!

IC B3

O
OttoG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I ended up buying a used complete trued m700, pacnor, mcmillan, jewell etc in the exact spec I wanted for less than the Borden action alone. Obv not the same quality but it shoots and I have a lot of cash leftover!

Last edited by OttoG; 04/21/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,384
Posts18,488,634
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.