Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That 200 grain Nosler Accubond in a (an? Because "8" starts with a vowel) 8x57 is a solid hunting set up. If I had only one rifle set up to hunt, this would take care of my needs. A well- balanced choice, and option.

I also like the 30-06 with 200 grain Accubonds. A well-balanced choice, and option.

Not sure if this response is solving any problems, but it makes me feel good that there are multiple effective ways to get the job done.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jevyod
I know an older guy, a retired gunsmith. I wanted to build a rifle with him, and he said he would help me do it. I only have a few rifles, and have a caliber gap from my 260 rem to a 358 Winchester. Was thinking something in the 30-8mm range. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the 30-06 or the 8x57. I am leaning towards the ought 6 for several reasons. Availability of components (I reload), better BC (i think), cheaper components...not sure what else. This will be a deer/hog rifle, and i am not a long range shooter. If I want to get into long range paper punching I will use my 260. Is there something I am overlooking here? Is one easier to build than the other? The guy already has the reamers for both chamberings. This project is basically so I have something to remember the guy by. Or is there another 30 caliber that I should be considering? I don't want to get into anything that requires a lot of extra work to make it function.

How about a boring old .308 Winchester? It's right the middle of the ones you have now, does everything an '06 will and burns less powder doing it.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This will be a deer/hog rifle, and i am not a long range shooter. [/quote]
[b][/b]

Someone commenting missed this part .......... Again!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by River_Ridge

How about a boring old .308 Winchester? It's right the middle of the ones you have now, does everything an '06 will and burns less powder doing it.

Really ? everything ? Not hardly.

From 180 gr and 200 gr the 308 is in the backfield. The smaller fuselage is lacking in punch.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/13/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Interesting thread. Seems there are a few characters around that have little to contribute aside from slurs and insults. Sure would be nice to see a few good threads like this get by without the riff-raff!

Anywho... between the two you're considering, I'd go with an 8x57 purely for the cool factor. You can pick up any rifle you want in .30-06 for a song whenever you want, but if you're truly going to be building this from the ground up to your own specs for the nostalgia factor, why not go with something unique? That's how I view it, anyway. As others have pointed out, both perform rather similarly, and if you're not taking shots longer than the usual 300 yards and in, both will anchor deer/hogs with authority if you do your part. smile

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
STUPID is never "cool". Congratulations?!?

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Big Stick
STUPID is never "cool". Congratulations?!?

Hint..............

8x57 kills stuff just as dead at any kind of reasonable distance as any of your high BC whiz bangs.

[Linked Image]

Notice the rifle NOT placed in running water...SOME of us know better than that.

Last edited by CowboyTim; 05/15/19.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KchuntboyKim,

"Convince" yourself of that which you most NEED to hear. Congratulations?!?

Hint.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have had a hankering for a left hand Tikka in 8x57 just to be a bit different. Something about that old round that is just cool. The 30-06 is more practical in a lot of ways but who cares nothing at all wrong with either cartridge.

Last edited by gerry35; 05/15/19.

Gerry.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Stumpy's presence on another thread....

ever notice his presence turns ANY thread into a toilet bowl that just won't flush?

if he was still around, Stumpy would be Sigmund Freuds favorite patient...

acting like he is the smartest guy on the planet, gracing us all with his two cents, and insulting anyone who doesn't.. kinda like a three year old, that is awfully lonely and has no other social life...

thank God for Booze, dope and meth, right Stumpy? helps ya make it thru a day.. and night...

back on topic...I'm simple in the fact, an 8mm Mauser in a European action...and an 06 in an American one...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
280 If I was going to build.
But I have to say this about the ol 06...All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,676 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,611
Posts18,473,902
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.