DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by DW7
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by DW7
Fireball, a question for my own curiosity. Are you a member of BHA by chance? Again, just curious.

Banff Hockey Academy? I hate hockey.

Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. And hockey is the greatest game ever invented!

DW7......what do you think of the Montana wildlife federation?...….bob

As an affiliate of the National Wildlife Federation I'd have to pass on em Bob. These organizations are hard to navigate. You look at them and they show you this shiny object with their right hand and you say yes,I'm in! Then you see what their left hand is doing and you say wait a minute! That trying to please everyone thought process gives me pause on most of these new organizations that claim to be for sportsmen such as ourselves. As I've aged things are more black and white to me with fewer gray areas in my eyes. I've come across a lot of BHA members who share fireballs thoughts on baiting bears. Many are also opposed to hound hunting bears and lions, trapping of any sort, some even oppose any killing of apex predators! It's what prompted my question to fireball as I'm sure you suspected. I dont have a problem with people being opposed to the things I mentioned above, and they're welcome to express their opinions. What I have a problem with is hunters actively working to end those things because in their mind they don't see them as fair chase, many of them having never participated in those above mentioned activities. We are such a small percentage of the population anymore, you might even say the last of a dying breed, that we can't afford to divide ourselves. Some of these new groups are doing exactly that, intentionally or unintentionally.

P.S. Fireball expressed his opinion on bear baiting which prompted my question to him. I attach none of the other things mentioned above to him, as I dont know him or his thoughts on those things.

Last edited by DW7; 04/17/19.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DW7

As an affiliate of the National Wildlife Federation I'd have to pass on em Bob. These organizations are hard to navigate. You look at them and they show you this shiny object with their right hand and you say yes,I'm in! Then you see what their left hand is doing and you say wait a minute! That trying to please everyone thought process gives me pause on most of these new organizations that claim to be for sportsmen such as ourselves. As I've aged things are more black and white to me with fewer gray areas in my eyes. I've come across a lot of BHA members who share fireballs thoughts on baiting bears. Many are also opposed to hound hunting bears and lions, trapping of any sort, some even oppose any killing of apex predators! It's what prompted my question to fireball as I'm sure you suspected. I dont have a problem with people being opposed to the things I mentioned above, and they're welcome to express their opinions. What I have a problem with is hunters actively working to end those things because in their mind they don't see them as fair chase, many of them having never participated in those above mentioned activities. We are such a small percentage of the population anymore, you might even say the last of a dying breed, we can't afford to divide ourselves. Some of these new groups are doing exactly that, intentionally or indirectly.

P.S. Fireball expressed his opinion on bear baiting which prompted my question to him. I attach none of the other things mentioned above to him, as I dont know him or his thoughts on those things.

Excellent Post!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I agree DW7, it is confusing and frustrating. It would be a disappointment to find out that you had supported a group operating under false pretenses.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, any time a lifelong hunter and sportsman doesn't toe the party line (expresses an opinion not politically correct with sportsman), he's gotta be the enemy somehow. We're not sure how, but we're pretty sure he's the enemy.

I express a deep and abiding respect for bears (and I hunt the sheit out of them every chance I get) and point out how they are in fact different from other game animals when challenged to do so, but the bottom line is I must be wrong somehow because I don't toe the line.

I respect coyotes too, even though I've killed more than I could count. A sportsman that doesn't respect anything he shoots really is more a base animal than the game he hunts.

LOL
D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yeah, any time a lifelong hunter and sportsman doesn't toe the party line (expresses an opinion not politically correct with sportsman), he's gotta be the enemy somehow. We're not sure how, but we're pretty sure he's the enemy.

I express a deep and abiding respect for bears (and I hunt the sheit out of them every chance I get) and point out how they are in fact different from other game animals when challenged to do so, but the bottom line is I must be wrong somehow because I don't toe the line.

I respect coyotes too, even though I've killed more than I could count. A sportsman that doesn't respect anything he shoots really is more a base animal than the game he hunts.

Nope fireball, in fact I made a point to say they were entitled to their opinion, just as you are, and we can agree to disagree on a topic. The problem I have is hunters actively trying to end a legal activity they don't deem ethical or fair chase.

Last edited by DW7; 04/17/19.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DW7

Nope fireball, in fact I made a point to say they were entitled to their opinion, just as you are, and we can agree to disagree on a topic. The problem I have is hunters actively trying to end a legal activity they don't deem ethical or fair chase.

Fair chase is a subjective term as it's never fair. If the hunted, could hunt back there would be a lot less hunters in the world.

It is all in ones mind what they want to deem fair. Baiting an animal is no different than calling an animal. But some will surely disagree! As hound hunting cats, pigs, or whatever is any different than hound hunting bear or deer.

Bears are not any different than any other animal out there.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by DW7

As an affiliate of the National Wildlife Federation I'd have to pass on em Bob. These organizations are hard to navigate. You look at them and they show you this shiny object with their right hand and you say yes,I'm in! Then you see what their left hand is doing and you say wait a minute! That trying to please everyone thought process gives me pause on most of these new organizations that claim to be for sportsmen such as ourselves. As I've aged things are more black and white to me with fewer gray areas in my eyes. I've come across a lot of BHA members who share fireballs thoughts on baiting bears. Many are also opposed to hound hunting bears and lions, trapping of any sort, some even oppose any killing of apex predators! It's what prompted my question to fireball as I'm sure you suspected. I dont have a problem with people being opposed to the things I mentioned above, and they're welcome to express their opinions. What I have a problem with is hunters actively working to end those things because in their mind they don't see them as fair chase, many of them having never participated in those above mentioned activities. We are such a small percentage of the population anymore, you might even say the last of a dying breed, we can't afford to divide ourselves. Some of these new groups are doing exactly that, intentionally or indirectly.

Excellent Post!

montana wildlife federation is not a new organization....it was established in 1936......i believe they have worked for public land access....where instrumental in the stream access laws ....working with landowners with access issues etc.....i do contribute a couple of times a year to them....if there is a downside to them i am all ears....

there are plenty of ..hunters..who don't belong to bha....that object to the issues you raise.......bob

D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by DW7

Excellent Post!

montana wildlife federation is not a new organization....it was established in 1936......i believe they have worked for public land access....where instrumental in the stream access laws ....working with landowners with access issues etc.....i do contribute a couple of times a year to them....if there is a downside to them i am all ears....

there are plenty of ..hunters..who don't belong to bha....that object to the issues you raise.......bob

The down side for me is that they are affiliated with the national wildlife federation. In my eyes the grizzly bear is recovered, and we should be hunting them on a limited, well managed basis rather than game departments having to kill "problem" bears.

https://blog.nwf.org/2016/10/affiliate-of-the-week-montana-wildlife-federation/

I agree with you in that there are plenty of hunters who are not BHA members who object to the issues I raised and as I said earlier I'm ok with that, we can agree to disagree and even work together on things we do agree on. But what I don't understand, is those hunters actively working to eliminate opportunity because in their eyes it's not fair chase or ethical. David Peterson is the glaring example that comes to mind. In 92 he actively campaigned to eliminate spring bear hunting, baiting bears, and running them with hounds here in Colorado because it wasn't fair chase in his mind. He later founded the Colorado chapter of BHA and was the chapter president for a number of years. Who am I to say another hunter shouldnt hunt the way he chooses if hes hunting in a legal manner? That's what the antis do to us, and they're enough to deal with. We shouldn't also need to worry about those we think are on our team.

Last edited by DW7; 04/21/19.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

DW7......I agree ….if it is in a legal manner, how one hunts ...dogs...bait..etc...should be supported by fellow hunters.....you may not like it but if legal …..support it.

I think the Montana wildlife federation supports grizzly hunting as a management tool...…..I have not seen a downside to them ( yet ) I think they have a pretty good track record. no organization is going to be perfect ……..bob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Saw (3) Yesterday.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

DW7......I agree ….if it is in a legal manner, how one hunts ...dogs...bait..etc...should be supported by fellow hunters.....you may not like it but if legal …..support it.

I think the Montana wildlife federation supports grizzly hunting as a management tool...…..I have not seen a downside to them ( yet ) I think they have a pretty good track record. no organization is going to be perfect ……..bob

Completely agree Bob.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fireball gave me some bear jerky a few years back.

It was yumalicious! Awesome.

I had a friend tell me years ago the Chippewa I believe called it sweet venison.

The fall fat I am told is coveted for pastries.

I think bears are related closely to the porcine species.

The carcasses are freaky! The front legs and hair look almost human.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DW7
I agree with you in that there are plenty of hunters who are not BHA members who object to the issues I raised and as I said earlier I'm ok with that, we can agree to disagree and even work together on things we do agree on. But what I don't understand, is those hunters actively working to eliminate opportunity because in their eyes it's not fair chase or ethical. David Peterson is the glaring example that comes to mind. In 92 he actively campaigned to eliminate spring bear hunting, baiting bears, and running them with hounds here in Colorado because it wasn't fair chase in his mind. He later founded the Colorado chapter of BHA and was the chapter president for a number of years. Who am I to say another hunter shouldnt hunt the way he chooses if hes hunting in a legal manner? That's what the antis do to us, and they're enough to deal with. We shouldn't also need to worry about those we think are on our team.

100% nailed it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ID260
Why do people hunt bears?
People hunt bears for the same reason they hunt anything else. It provides food, recreation, keeps predators in check, helps ungulate populations, black bear populations are extremely healthy, etc.

Why is bait used?
Baiting is an effective management tool. Bait reduces the potential for accidental killing of sows with cubs. A hunter can spend time watching the bear before squeezing the trigger at first opportunity like incidental kills or even some spot and stalk. Baiting helps manage the age class being harvested. It's far easier for a hunter to kill a big male by being choosey since bait gives opportunities to see multiple bears inhabiting the area. Bait increases potential for clean kill at close ranges. Not everyone owns dogs and some habitat isn't conducive to spot and stalk.

I've never baited, but clearly understand why some do and the benefits it provides from a management standpoint. Baiting also takes tons of time, effort and gas money. I typically spot and stalk, but certainly don't judge others who bait. When folks start singling out other hunters based on emotion or elitism, it just makes it easier for antis to condemn the entire sport. I try not to fall into that trap.

Never posted before...just thought I'd give my 2 cents.

Nice post.

Yup.
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (160user, 007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,653
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.