Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Sul isn't an acronym, it's a Portugese (I think) word for "south", meaning "down" in this context. It's just a ready position that holds the muzzle pointing down.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering
Sul isn't an acronym, it's a Portugese (I think) word for "south", meaning "down" in this context. It's just a ready position that holds the muzzle pointing down.

....And we can't just call it, "down"?

Thanks for the explanation.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Yondering

....And we can't just call it, "down"?

Thanks for the explanation.

NOPE.

Can't just say "point your muzzle in a safe direction" , or anything like that or something really novel such as "Follow basic safety rules and don't point your weapon at stuff you don't want to shoot."

We have to come up with catchy crap like "SUL" and "Safety Circle" for people who like catchy buzz words.

Again,

Think.

That really is the key to it all.

Use that safety device that is between the ears.

" Thinkers who are shooters..

As always though, mileage may vary..

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I know I am getting old because I remember when
Cops didn't have earrings or tattoos.
Semi automatic pistols never fed well with anything besides FMJ either.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I attended GUNSITE many years ago, the first day of class, the first thing Jeff Cooper mentioned were the Four Rules of Firearms, the first rule being, "Never point the muzzle of your pistol at anything you are not willing to destroy."

Seemed like good advice to me. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Exchipy

Loaded Chamber? COCKED-AND-LOCKED ONLY!

. . .

HOWEVER, Condition Two (loaded chamber, hammer fully forward) is actually DANGEROUS. Should the hammer get snagged on something, drawn back to just short of the half-cock notch, then released, testing has shown that it can fire the cartridge at least three times out of five. Both the thumb safety and grip safety have been rendered useless when the pistol is in Condition Two.

An UNSAFE variation of Condition Two involves using the hammer's half-cock notch (sometimes misleadingly called a "safety notch") instead of lowering the hammer fully forward. Again, the thumb safety and grip safety are rendered useless. The DANGER comes from what is known as a FALSE HALF-COCK, which is created when both the hammer and trigger are clumsily manipulated simultaneously while attempting to lower the hammer into the half-cock notch, such that the tip of the half-cock notch gets precariously balanced on the tip of the sear. Then, a slight jarring of the pistol can cause the hammer to fall the rest of the way and fire the cartridge. This is not theoretical; it has happened.

. . .

I'm late to this party, but I did read the entire thread (which had some damn good Texas Ranger stories in it!)
I'd really like to see the source for the tests highlighted. I'm pretty sure they aren't classified, so whoever has the source should be at liberty to say.

Anyone who was ever properly taught how to manipulate an older Winchester lever gun should be able to put a hammer gun correctly in half-cock, as that is the only reasonable way to carry one of those with a round chambered. I find it interesting the OP seems to say Condition 2 is "always" unsafe, or at least DANGEROUS, then points out yet another "UNSAFE" variation of Condition 2.

Edit to add: There do seem to be some situations where Condition 2 makes sense. In general, I'd personally prefer it to half-cock, but with some hammer and grip safety shapes, half cock might be a better position from which to manipulate the hardware to get the pistol cocked. Apparently, half-cock worked best for Charlie Miller?

Edit again to add: The guy I trust the most concerning the 1911 is a man named John Travis, who goes on many forums as "1911 Tuner." He knows a lot and explains himself well.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 05/05/19.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Being a seasoned lawman/gunfighter does not insulate one from the consequences of unsafe gun handling practices. Take, for instance, the story of the retired police officer from a major metropolitan department who claimed something like nine kills in the line of duty. As he was visiting with a man in the man's office, he suggested the man should keep a gun there for protection in that neighborhood. Saying, "Let me show you a real man's gun," he reached into his briefcase. That's when the 10mm 1911 in his briefcase discharged, sending the bullet through the retired officer's leg and into the man he was visiting.

What agency, and what what the gentleman's name?

If he shot and killed 9 men in the line of duty, then shot another in his office presumably on accident, there will no doubt be no shortage of documentation on this individual.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Maybe if you get pulled over and have your 1911 right the cops will give you a dollar and a hearty "attaboy!"

I'd be incredibly surprised if more than 20% of the cops out there are familiar with the 1911, let alone the conditions of carry.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He has an ear ring for chrissake

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by satx78247
gunner500,

Sounds like your grandfather KNEW how to get a young boy's attention. = FYI, my grandfather said something similar to me when I was about 8YO.

Comment: My grandfather passed away in 1962. SADLY, I must tell you that I doubt that hardly any young boys will see the equal of your grandfather or mine. = They seem to all be gone now.- Such men really were "the GREATEST generation".
(Fwiw, my grandfather was born in 1873 & was a survivor of the last Comanche Murder Raid into Northeast Texas. - He was about "a babe at the breast" at the time.)

Btw, when I was 12YO he gave me a 12-gauge single barrel "Long Tom" so that I "could hunt with the men". I felt VERY "grown up" that day.
(As it's nothing more than a "hardware store shotgun" by RIVER ARMS of MS, I seriously doubt that I could sell that old shotgun for more than 20 bucks but money wouldn't buy it, as it was once his & now mine. = It's PRICELESS & in my will.)
I'll never forget what my mother said when I came home carrying it, "Daddy, you didn't give that CHILD a REAL gun, did you? PLEASE tell me that you didn't." - My grandfather said, "Glynn, I gave it to him because he's going to hunt with the men. He's plenty old enough to hunt. This is men's business."
(As my Grandfather was THE family patriarch, Mother said nothing else about it & I got to keep MY gun. - It's one of my few TREASURES.)

yours, tex

i was rereading this thread, and so the reference to a long tom. I have one too. It belonged at one time to my grandfather, a five foot six or so croat. So he at some point had shortened the stock. It had finally disappeared for many years, till it came home. my brother in law had "borrowed it" and never returned it. Some 40 years later his son gave it to me thinking i would be able to fix it. They had removed the extractor and firing pin. The pin wasn't much trouble, the extractor was. That gun had been made by a number of companies, and it took a lot of time to find a match. Which i did. Took it out and shot it once, oiled it up and it is in a safe environment. Lord only knows how many birds had to face it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jorgeI
He has an ear ring for chrissake

Shhh!!! It is no longer considered proper behavior to comment on such things. Let the man tell you how to dance with your pistol, and then say "Thank you." Try to appear sincere when doing so.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Charlie Miller says this is nonsense.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't want to go back and reread everything, so might have posted this before.
that picture popped up on a facebook association page for peace officers. it's in the museum.
didn't seem to bother him much, still had all his toes.
i had commented why did he do it that way as there were other ways of disabling that.
comment back which made sense if you had an inspection, you could cut it off quick with a knife.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I bet if that 1911 could talk it would have some tails to tell!

Sad state of affairs these pics of the military. Of course what does one expect when you have a woman guarding a truck full of Doritos.

The end is near

Id be willing to bet the wheat will separate from the chaff rather quickly in our next shooting war. God bless our true warriors.

GOD Bless America
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I'm not advocating Ranger Miller's adventurous mode of carry. If he used a holster, I don't know what that was.

But I have known some serious, battle proven gunmen; from WWII and Korea vets right on through the Sand Wars, plus a whole lot of mayhem in the streets. I can think of four who killed multiple antagonists with an issued or personally owned 1911. A couple of them carried that pistol condition two. Given their results, I'd be disinclined to tell them they were doing it wrong.

Sadly, they're all gone now; but it was old age that got them, not 'leg wounds' from poor pistol handling.

Being a seasoned lawman/gunfighter does not insulate one from the
consequences of unsafe gun handling practices. Take, for instance, the story of the retired police officer from a major metropolitan department who claimed something like nine kills in the line of duty. As he was visiting with a man in the man's office, he suggested the man should keep a gun there for protection in that neighborhood. Saying, "Let me show you a real man's gun," he reached into his briefcase. That's when the 10mm 1911 in his briefcase discharged, sending the bullet through the retired officer's leg and into the man he was visiting.

William J. "Bill" Allard, a member of the famous NYPD Stake Out Unit in the 1970s, reportedly passed away July 2nd last year at the age of 81.

Every day’s an adventure.
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oops. Half-cock carry didn't work out so well for this guy. Maybe next time, cocked-and-locked, eh?

Attached Images
image1.JPG (28.4 KB, 421 downloads)

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
So, you spent the better part of a year searching the net for a picture that you think makes your point. You should get a life.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by doubletap
So, you spent the better part of a year searching the net for a picture that you think makes your point. You should get a life.

That IS his pathetic life...

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What you guys said is more accurate than you could have known. Except that no searching was involved. Reports of such things come to me regularly. Fortunately, it seems like 1911 half-cock shooting incidents are maybe being reported less frequently - fewer ignoramuses out there, I hope - and they don't often come with photos.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
WTF takes a 1911 on half cock, and puts the muzzle against their palm to cock the fugger? Same said for the guys that let the hammer down on a live round? chippy, you should start hanging out with a different crowd....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
good thing old Charlie Miller didn't know he was carrying a *ticking time bomb* around on his belt for 50 or 60 years..........

Last edited by sdgunslinger; 02/17/20.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.