Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
tj3006 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I would be surprised if the one i bought was ever cleaned.improperly It probably was Shot some since it has scope bases and a pink pad added, But it is in great shape.
I ordered a set of warn Bases, one of them has 2 cross slots, i like the versatility, that provides. A timney sportsman trigger is 74.00. I will need to remove some wood to put the trigger in.
I remember i had one of these in 06 before. Got it cheap with a cracked stock. Had it bedded in a MPI, and it shot great but the stock made my ears ring, so i traded it for a savage 99 !
Not sure what i will scope it with. I like 2X7s though...

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Whoever told you those chrome lined barrels were poor shooters is full of more crap than an overflowing septic tank.

No need to go overboard with the hyperbole. Sorry to interrupt the group hug, but I just wanted to note my personal experience that not everyone's J.C. Higgins gun was a tack driver. Congratulations and more power-to-you for those that have had success with this Sears classic.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by shinbone
Whoever told you those chrome lined barrels were poor shooters is full of more crap than an overflowing septic tank.

No need to go overboard with the hyperbole. Sorry to interrupt the group hug, but I just wanted to note my personal experience that not everyone's J.C. Higgins gun was a tack driver. Congratulations and more power-to-you for those that have had success with this Sears classic.

Let's not get all upset about it. Curious so I'll ask, what have to done to fix the problem? I find it a bit peculiar that you'd end up with two bad ones back to back.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I find it a bit peculiar that you'd end up with two bad ones back to back.

For a gun that is super awesome out of the box, I do, too. I was simply relating my own experience. Glad it is not the norm.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tj3006
I was looking on line at all the new rifles, And cartridges,
So i went a local store, and checked out the The sauer, the Tika the Bergaras the remingtons and winchesters and , i just could not get excited about anything i saw.
This morning, i went to meet a guy at a Hawk shop to sell him my 45/70 Marlin.( Shoulder will not take it anymore,) Hawk shops are strange places, this one had some cool stuff, But there are always items that are over priced, but you can find good deals too. 1st thing i saw was a crazy hi priced Remington 788 .308 for 795.00 , I almost quit looking, But i saw a Tag said JC higgins model 50 30,06. I had the guy hand me the rifle, and it looked like it was a new rifle. like it had never been in the woods. a novice would never know how old it was except for the old Pink pad , being hard as the wood.
Flipped the Tag over it said 435.00 I started thinking about the new rifles i had looked at at the various stores i had been in, And i started trying to think of a reason not to buy it. It had some odd scope bases, i had never seen. rails on the sides like for a weaver, but no cross slot. Got to thinking they might cause a problem, But hell they are held on with screws , and the holes likely match the leupold , if not i might have to pay for a couple new holes to be drilled and tapped.
So i bought it, I got delayed on the background check and could not bring it home. But i like it way better than any of the modern, stuff, and while the 6.5 PRC, is an interesting new Round the 30,06 is till as good as it ever was, And i think i got a very good price on a classic quality FN built rifle. Much lighter than my pre 64 30,06. It still had both the front and rear sights. I will try it out as soon as i can,if it shoots like the Beat up ugly one i once had , i will put a timney trigger and a good scope on it And Have a great old game slayer !
Its been a long time since i had one of these , if i remember correctly the trigger is not adjustable, so i will probably need to drop a timney in it. I would love your opinions on these
rifles... tj3006

Bummer.

Hint...………………….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
To that’s a great find and an excellent hunting rifle. I too like the workmanship of the FN Mauser actions and the versatility of the 30-06 cartridge!

T
tj3006 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Picked it up day before yesterday,
Got the proper warne scope bases in stalled, I like the bases, The front base has 2 cross slots, witch adds some versatility, for mounting. Not sure what to put on it but might go with a VX3 2.5X8 Leupold. Or a Burris Fullfield 2X7. I will order a timney trigger , midway has the sportsman trigger for 74.00.
I would prefer to leave the rear sight in place , so a short scope might be the way to go. I have a VX freedom 2X7 on a .308 And it works great. (but its kind of UGLY !) I also have a Weaver Grand slam 2X8 on a 7X57, And it is real nice.
...tj3006

Last edited by tj3006; 04/12/19.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I put a Marbles "bullseye" rear barrel mounted sight on one of my JC Higgins model 50's it is a peep sight. Very easy to see/use for older eyes , as a back up to a scope. $20. From Midway. Used the longer slide version. I have a Leupold m8 4x scope on it ( Warne bases).

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ble-step-elevator-338-to-535-height-blue

You can cut or grind off the outer ring if you feel it gets in your scope viewing -it doesn't- but can be done if desired. Very handy option.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
T
tj3006 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I ordered a Timney sportsman trigger from midway today ! Not sure what i will put on for a scope.. think i will see what camera world can show me...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gonna try a Dayton-Traister on one of mine. Kinda old-school, but simple and open.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

T
tj3006 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Pappy where did you find a dayton trigger ? I have an old one on a custom enfield 300 H&H. they were made Here in Portland at one time, But are in Olympia washington now.
I bet it goes in with no or little inletting done !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JC Higgins sold at Sears? Ted Williams signature?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brownell's

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
They’re in Oak Harbour, Washington

Dayton-Traister triggers

T
tj3006 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Might do the Dayton next time Already ordered
the timney !

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Neat find.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
JC Higgins sold at Sears? Ted Williams signature?

Might be wrong but I believe these came before the Ted Williams endorsements. Had a couple of them myself, they will shoot. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
tj3006 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
They were sold at Sears, But i don,t think there was a ted williams Connection ro these Rifles !.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There was no Ted Williams connection to the J.C. Higgins M50. However IIRC, the Sears M53 was a Ted Williams signature and was a push feed M70 Winchester with Sears name. I had one but traded it off fairly quickly. Frankly, the one I had was an insult to Winchester.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm the same way when it comes to modern guns. They shoot well, but plastic just doesn't excite me. A while back a fellow sold me a 1950's vintage sporterized M1917 and I was happy as a clam. 300 bucks was not too much to pay for something to tinker with. I've slowly been working on it, and loads for it, and have whittled the groups down to a pretty decent size. I know I could buy one off the shelf and save some work, but I wouldn't like it near as much as my 100 year old 17. Now to replace the hard as a rock recoil pad.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 52 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,579
Posts18,473,329
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.