Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How would I know if my Tasco is counterfiet?

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I found this online about Leupold family ownership and how they manage it.

Evidently the family, now in the 5th gen, had some consternation about whether or not to persue a govt contract where their products would be used to kill people. That would have been an easy one for me...

I guess West Coast thinking and such evidently caused some heartburn. Seems the $43 mil contract soothed ruffled feathers and they ultimately agreed.

Interesting.

www.familybusinessmagazine.com/leupold-stevens-sets-its-sights-enduring-family-ownership-1

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/03/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently bought a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 FireDot 4 Metric off of E Bay and it was sold by Backwoods Outdoor Supply, which I have never heard of. They are in Virginia with a web site and Face Book page. I was the only one that bid on the scope and it is my first item purchased from E Bay. I paid promptly and received scope quickly.

It has a gold ring and no info on gold ring or bell. My other VX-R 3-9x40 TMR was purchased from SWFA and has no gold ring. Both scopes came with a black rubber bikini cover with the letter L on the big end. After examining the scope and box, I believe this scope is ok, but will run the serial # through Leupold to verify.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I recently reported a guy who was selling counterfeit Zeiss and one Leupy on E-bay just before x-mas. I messaged him and warned him i was filing a complaint, and he told me if i did he was going to report me for harrasment. I filed the complaint anyway , explaining they were counterfeit and that Zeiss never made a scope with a red/green illuminated reticle and the model #'s he listed did not match any scope he pictured. Long story short, they did nothing and they all sold for over $500.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^
Just my opinion, but if you ask me eBay is irresponsible and shortsighted to take such a laissez-faire attitude. Especially when they tend to suggest they are otherwise.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EBay is very irresponsible about a lot of things. I reported a bidder when he didn’t pay for an item he won. I had no contact from him at all. A month or so afterwards, he still had a spotless rating. I emailed them and have heard nothing.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^

What is the world coming too?! Some people let their honor, assuming they have any to begin with, go far too cheaply. As soon as I win, I pay. To me, it is my word and my handshake. I bought it, so the sooner I pay, the sooner I get it. I guess some folks have to get the money together, and I understand that. But if you don't have the funds, or are pretty sure you can get them, then you have no business bidding.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I saw another counterfeit Leupold yesterday.

It looked like a VX-III 1.5-5x20, but without a Leupold logo on the left side of the turret assembly and serial number BAA10F05878, it was obviously a fake.

I told the seller that it was a fake and he just shrugged his shoulders, typically pawnbroker attitude.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bought a Leupold from Cabela's and guess what I got? Bought a Leupold from a local sporting goods store and guess what I got? Bought a Leupold from Leupold and guess what I got? You buy a Leupold off of some smuck on E bay, who has lunch with Mr Dong and you get a scope and a little extra. But it is E-Bays fault. Funny....

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by battue
Bought a Leupold from Cabela's and guess what I got? Bought a Leupold from a local sporting goods store and guess what I got? Bought a Leupold from Leupold and guess what I got? You buy a Leupold off of some smuck on E bay, who has lunch with Mr Dong and you get a scope and a little extra. But it is E-Bays fault. Funny....

I gaurantee people use retail stores to launder counterfeit goods. Walk in and buy something legit, come right back in with your “return” of a counterfeit item. Then flip the genuine item online for much more than you had in the counterfeit item.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Soooo,

You buy a counterfeit from an established retailer, and they will replace it with the real item. Most of this isn’t all that hard if one deals with those who they know they can trust. Placing your trust in Mr Dong is on you.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Well, the counterfeit 1.5-5x20 was already mounted on a rifle and the pawn shop was asking a premium price for the package, at least in part because of the "Leupold" scope.

Agreed, anyone who buys a "Leupold" scope from an on-line seller in China or Hong Kong for around $60 would have to be an idiot to not know that he/she was buying a counterfeit item. Most of the people selling counterfeit Leupolds on eBay aren't using the Leupold name in their ads, but the pictures look like Leupold products. I think that more and more of these counterfeit scopes are going to be showing up on gun show table waiting for some uninformed buyer to spend his/her money.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Altogether different circumstance. Mail order fraud when dealing with Mr Dong, which doesn’t apply to the pawn shop example. The pawn shop may or may not have known. Mr Dong did.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ChrisAU

I gaurantee people use retail stores to launder counterfeit goods. Walk in and buy something legit, come right back in with your “return” of a counterfeit item. Then flip the genuine item online for much more than you had in the counterfeit item.

Explain to me how they make a profit with the situation.

Addition:

Never mind I have it. I'm thinking return means you are exchanging items, which is not the case.

Last edited by battue; 04/13/19.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 257heaven
EBay is very irresponsible about a lot of things. I reported a bidder when he didn’t pay for an item he won. I had no contact from him at all. A month or so afterwards, he still had a spotless rating. I emailed them and have heard nothing.

I had a similar experience. Buyer made an offer which I accepted. then I heard nothing from them and no payment. I filed a non paying buyer report and it eventually closed with no contact from anyone and no payment. I noticed they actually don’t allow a negative feedback option anymore. Go figure.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wonder why the Chinese don't make counterfeit Sooper Snipers? Or Nightforce?

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Exactly! How could anyone be so stupid to buy from people like Mr. Dong on eBay or someone living in China unless in a weird way they are just looking for attention to post something here. It's a cheap or expensive way to get attention the way I look at it. It's just according to what you are willing to pay.

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Been going on a while . makes me wonder if when some say their luplod suck or is inferior if they don't have leupold and don't know it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a encounter on gunbroker.

A 336 marlin RC in 32WS with a Leupold lox power scope. 1x4 I think.

The add updated saying the scope was counterfeit. I at the time had the highest bid.

I contacted the seller saying I would work out the deal somehow and please keep my bid in place.

Next morning I was outbid by a mile!!!!!!!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/20...ng-counterfeit-leupold-rifle-scopes.html

The owner of an outdoor gear retailer based in Columbia City is accused of selling counterfeit Leopold rifle scopes that he allegedly imported from China.
According to federal investigators, Culp sold the counterfeit scopes to buyers across the United States, through his company’s website and through third-party sites, including the website www.gunbroker. com and eBay.

He made $3,728.50 in sales of the counterfeit rifle scopes to buyers in New York, Connecticut, California, Texas, Florida and Indiana, according to court records.

==============================
https://www.columbian.com/news/2019...selling-counterfeit-rifle-optics-online/

PORTLAND — The owner of an outdoor gear retailer based north of Portland in Columbia City has pleaded guilty to selling counterfeit Leopold rifle scopes that he imported from China.

========================
More
https://pamplinmedia.com/scs/83-new...lty-to-trafficking-knockoff-rifle-scopes

Bruce

Last edited by bcp; 04/19/19.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

314 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 40 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,581
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.