Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wiktor Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Hi All, just wondering what your opinions are about these two rifles and which you think are better? Seems like they're going for about the same price right now.I myself would go with the Safari but I'd like to hear what you all have to say!

Last edited by wiktor; 04/11/07.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I really like FN mausers, but some of the Brownings have that nasty saltwood. Pre-64s are also pure goodness. A fellow(or gal) would be served well by either.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Good comparison! I have had both and hunted with both. Safaris in .222, .243, 7mm Mag, 308 Norma. Pre 64 M70s in .243, .264 Mag., .270, .30-06, and 300 H&H/300 Weatherby. I loved all of the guns, Safaris for their beauty and craftmanship, Winchesters for their design and pure functionality. The Brownings seemed heavy and had delicate finishes. The Winchesters seem to get better with age and use. The Winchesters always seemed a little more inherently accurate as well. I've since sold all of the Safaris and still own the Winnies. What does that tell you! Can't go wrong with either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will have to cast my vote the same as lundtroller and for the same reason's plus the Brownings seem to have a finish problem, where as after 20-30+ years the finish would crack/check.

I have also owned a bunch of both and the safe is full of winnies at the present.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both good guns, but M70s are the best. They feed smoother and have a better safety. My current Mauser is an H&R Ultrarifle in flawless condition made in the sixties on a commercial FN action. The only M70 in the safe is a Classic Compact that my wife claims as hers. It is a super-sweet little rifle in 308 Win caliber.
_

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wiktor
Hi All, just wondering what your opinions are about these two rifles and which you think are better? Seems like they're going for about the same price right now.I myself would go with the Safari but I'd like to hear what you all have to say!
Watch out for salt wood stocks. Pull the butt plate screws out and see if they are rusty before you buy one. You can't go by date of manufacture, because there was a stock recall when the problem was discovered, and some have been factory replaced. That said, the pre-64 winchester 70 is my choice.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wiktor

The Browning would be a good second or third choice... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M70........

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I own and shoot both. In fact, I just took delivery of a minty Safari in 3006. Both are wonderful rifles. The Safaris are closer to the Super Grade variant in my opinion.

Attention to detail is better in the Brownings, particularly when compared to the latter pre-64s. I pefer the iron sights on the older Safaris but the sight on the 458 Africans is just great. Accuracy's a toss up. I've never owned one that wasn't a sub-MOA shooter. Where the Model 70 has it all over the Browning is in the safety, but that is a matter of personal taste. Given a choice between three rifles of the same caliber, my choices would be:

1. Super Grade
2. Safari Grade
3. Model 70 standard
4. Model 70 Featherweight

jorge

Last edited by jorgeI; 04/12/07.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…â€
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My vote is for the pre-64.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pre-64 Model 70. Other than the Supergrade, I prefer the Standard Grade model with the monte carlo stock.

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
While the FN action is a fine one, I see a lot of elderly Brownings with a cracked, almost checked finish. If they're not salt, you can always strip and refinish, and the underlying wood is usually better than on M70s for figure. I'm pretty much a M70 man, but wouldn't kick a nice Safari grade out of the safe, even if I had to make a winter project out of the stock.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
W
wiktor Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Well I'm down to one pre64 Standard grade 30-06 (straight comb) and one Safari 30-06 and I pulled them both out to clean and look at them today. Both nice guns but I'd have to go with the Safari. It's a 65 and so is pre saltwood, but yes the finish is crazed, it's going to get a new coat of finish. I do like the Winchester's safety better but other than that the Safari is so nicely finished and fitted (except for the crazed finish) that I think it's hard to beat. The stock with cheekpiece fits me better and I really like the fact that the extractor is undercut in the front of the bolt.I like the fact that the Winchester has a steel floorplate and trigger guard but don't like that it is two pieces.Both nice rifles though!!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I own and shoot both. In fact, I just took delivery of a minty Safari in 3006.

jorge
Are you a time traveler?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
ten years ago I bought an entire collection of FN Browning Safaris for my Dad, it was his 60th anniversary, he has hunted around the world and like the FN's but you won't go wrong with the pre-64 is just preference

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. (Orwell)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

jorge
Are you a time traveler?

Nope, just lucky I guess. Oh and I wear the real James Bond watch... jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…â€
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt with Browning Safaris all the time.They are superbly accurate and extremely well made.Just watch out for salt wood.Yes,the finish on a lot of them is getting a little soft after 35-40 years,but just take care of them.

I've got 5-6 out of my collection (which is extensive)that I hunt with on a regular basis,and only one doesn't have the origanal finish,due to the previous owner abusing it and refinishing it and reblueing it twice before it got to me.Good thing all the deer and bear I've killed with it didn't know that.....

Dollar for dollar,the Browning is the better rifle.I like Model 70s and have a couple,but I'll take a Browning over one anyday.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Brownings are not the only guns with salt wood. I had a Ruger No 1 that went back to the factory for a new buttstock and a reblue.
I have a 30-06 that was a saltwood gun, I reblued it and now it is a hunting rifle and not a safe queen. I might just put an oil finish on the stock now. I don't like that cracked shiny finish much. I don't need to baby it though. I wish Browning would make these in Japan and sell them again.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
D
DJR Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If I didn't have one it would be the other. Both superb rifles. Kind of a blonde/brunette or P51/P47 sort of question.

Here's my 64 Browning in a photo snapped yesterday on the Spring bear opener here in Washington. It will be out again today as soon as I can get going.

[Linked Image]

DJR

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

jorge
Are you a time traveler?

Nope, just lucky I guess. Oh and I wear the real James Bond watch... jorge
No, you see, you went into the future, all the way to the year 3006 to take delivery. Of course you meant to say that the rifle was chambered in .30-06. Little attempt at humor on my part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,069
Posts18,482,577
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.