Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I said denser glass bends light more effectively. Apparent brightness is due more to the lens coatings.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I am amazed at the quality of the Tract Toric, you would be hard pressed to find a better scope at 3 times the price

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I saved up all my spare money and bought a Zeiss Diavari 3-9X36 in the early ‘80’s when they first came out. I could see a difference in them in daylight compared to my Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10 AO.

All these years later, I still marvel at the clarity of those West German Diavari scopes. I now have a dozen on various rifles and buy them when I can find them. They have kept up with the latest in optical technology and I didn’t understand why, so I asked John Barsness how they could do that. He told me that it is glass density that transfers light and image and that Zeiss was using lead in their glass in those days and contributes to the excellence in those scopes even though they are 30 years old...

Were those his exact words?

T*P* coatings contributed to that image quality...

these were his exact words

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I said denser glass bends light more effectively. Apparent brightness is due more to the lens coatings.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been a while, like well over 20 years, but looking through a Burris Fullfield 7x35 was like looking through a big, bright picture window compared to many of its contemporaries. Bought those and used them for hunting quite a bit. I think they were made by Pentax.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I recently acquired a Leica Duovid binocular, 8x42-10x42. To say I now know what I've been missing out on all these years would be an understatement. Mercy.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In 2003 I bought a pair of Leica Trinovid 7x42 Bns. They were the finest Bns I've ever owned. Alas, I was forced to sell them off in my post 2005 Divorce Massacre. By 2006 I'd recovered enough to buy a pair a pair of seeming cheap (compared to the Leica's) Canon 7x42 A WP Bns for less than $325. Talk about being blown away by a low cost item. Canon does make them any more, but good used one's can still be found on E Bay. A friend, after spending near his last dime to go on an African safari this summer, bought a used pair off E bay on my recommendation, and they performed well he tells me.

In any event I still have my Canons, but I still miss those Leica's....

Last edited by Shadow; 04/22/19.
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Minox 6.5 IF binoculars. Wish I'd bought a spare when I bought mine.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I remember having that moment the first time I looked through Zen Ray ED binoculars - the view was flat stunning and for $450...They were 95% of the optical performance of my Leicas for a third of the price. Too bad they ZR failed on the business side - they had a good product for the money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every time I look through my Nikon Monarch 7 8x30's after not using them in a while I go wow. Then I remember they go for ~$300 and am really amazed.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ProMaster 8x42 that Doug made everyone “guess” the mfr for a few weeks before releasing. One of the first of the split bridge Chinese bino. Extremely good optics. Blew me away and still do....Just today I made them a gift to an employee.

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
+1 on the Zen Rays and Vanguard Endeavor EDs for performance vs cost.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I saw a pair of prototype 10x50 binoculars earlier today while visiting an optics company. When they come out, they should be in the $300-$400 range. The image quality was absolutely stunning. I do not think I've ever seen a sub-$2k binocular that impressed me as much.

I'll let you know when they go into production.

ILya

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by djb
Minox 6.5 IF binoculars. Wish I'd bought a spare when I bought mine.

Originally Posted by jwp475
I am amazed at the quality of the Tract Toric, you would be hard pressed to find a better scope at 3 times the price

I thought of the two above when I read this. The Minox 6.5 because of the depth of field...decent glass, but the depth of field, overall usability, and how tough mine have been make them far more valuable to me than the price.

Tract Toric 2-10 has been perfect in a lot of dialing and the glass is top notch. Not an inexpensive scope but it seems like it's quality way above it's price point.

The SWFA 6x and 10x. Glass is so-so, not a big fan of the design/size, but the return to 0 and reliability for the $ can't be touched.

Was originally disappointed with a S&B that was delivered with a design flaw resulting in a small FOV and massive donut on the view....that HURT for the price. S&B corrected it and now it's what it should have been to start with and I'm well pleased with it.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Wow...Leupold VX6 2-12

WOW...Tract Toric binos and 'scope

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started out with El Paso Weaver scopes and they served me well in those days, then experienced failure with Tasco and cheap Bushnells. Lessons learned, started buying Leupold and was satisfied. Much later I started looking at finer optics, such as top of the line Night Force which made me say "wow," but the price tag made me say "ouch!"

I tried a Conquest 3-15 HD pretty recently based on what others say about them. I was disappointed. I was not able to get a well focused image at 200 yards. Maybe there was something wrong with the scope but the guy I sold it to thought it was fine. Can't explain that one.

I've been quite impressed with the VX-5HD and now own four of them. I know there is better glass out there, but for me the right cost/benefit ratio is right about there. I studiously avoid looking at S&B and NF optics for that reason.

My employer loaned me a 10x42 SLC a few years back and I thought it was an awesome optic, even though I didn't use it much. After I returned it, I sprung for a Zen-Ray 10x43HD...again, based on reviews. This time I was NOT disappointed with the performance, the glass is very good for the price IMO. I am very cognizant of the fact that there is no longer any support for that bino, so I handle it with great care. Maybe I should have waited for a Tract, but it was not yet available...and I think Tract owners could find themselves in a similar situation one day. Who knows.

I keep a lot of my purchases concealed, and the ZR was one of them. One day recently my wife texted me and wanted to know where my binocular was so she could look at a bird out in back of the house. I told her to look in my backpack. When I got home that afternoon she said "wow...how much did you pay for that?" I thought she'd have a coronary when I told her "a little less than $500." Women don't grok that stuff!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
+1 on the Zen Rays and Vanguard Endeavor EDs for performance vs cost.

I thought that on the Endevour ED too, but over time the focus adjustment has become very sloppy.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
After many years of buying also ran binoculars , I purchased a pair of Trinvoid 8x42's , that started the ball rolling

Same here. I acquired a Leica Trinovid 8x42 last fall and I find them to be excellent. They are likely the last binocular that I will buy unless they are lost or stolen. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Disappointed: Bought a pair of the 1st gen Zen Ray. Any sunlight behind gave the worst flare I've encountered. Then on my third day of taking them outside evaluating them, one of the lenses became completely loose inside. Got a refund.

Surprised: Ran across a pair of Minox 8x42 BD BR (I think that's the model) at a gun show for cheap. Could not believe the image quality. Still use them and have a backup identical pair if they go down.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Leica 8x32 Ultravids amaze me every time.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Now that I think of it, I need to add a couple.

I tried one of the straight-tubed Zeiss Duralyt spotters 8 or 9 years ago, and was thoroughly unimpressed. I sent it back.

It also bears mention that the Athlon Ares 15-45 x 65 spotter has been a "Wow!" optic for me: way more than I was expecting in view, construction, and packability. And that's before even considering its price.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.