Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think this forum should be retitled "VA for Savages." And you should command a regional hospital. Video woke me UP!!!!!

I also like your attitudes toward rehabilitation of the "vets"--"First do no harm." Then get 'em shootin'!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Calhoun
The top one definitely doesn't have a perchbelly stock, that didn't start until a few years later. Perchbelly is a curve on the bottom of the buttstock. But in this last picture, the 80.2xx does look as though it has a slight perchbelly. Not as much as normal, but it varies.

I'll muddy the waters here a bit more for you. The upper one in the photo has serial numbers that match throughout. However, the bottom is a bit of a mutt and the stock number does not match the gun. The stock is 539XX which puts it at 1906 I think. Now I have to go figure out the "Perch Belly" because apparently my understanding of what it is.. isn't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Aaah... the switch to all rifles having perchbelly was just a bit higher than that buttstock. At that serial number range, some have it.. some don't.

Bottom 3 here have a very distinctive perchbelly. Notice the curved bottom on the buttstock, like the belly of a perch. Unlke the top one, which has a factory replacement straight buttstock from the mid-20's when they didn't do perchbelly stocks any more.

[Linked Image]

What makes it slightly confusing is that all reference books/articles prior to David Royal's book a few years ago said that 1899's had perchbelly stocks from the very beginning. That's not true. It didn't become standard until 1904/1905.

Last edited by Calhoun; 04/23/19.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Bottom 3 here have a very distinctive perchbelly. Notice the curved bottom on the buttstock, like the belly of a perch. Unlke the top one, which has a factory replacement straight buttstock from the mid-20's when they didn't do perchbelly stocks any more.

Thanks for the clarification, that makes perfect sense.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Along about the time something "Savage" starts making perfect sense, up jumps the devil! You're just starting the ride, fasten your seat belt!!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't wait for chapter 3! wink smile

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
thanks for sharing

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes thanks for sharing ! Savage 99`s and the Savage cartridge were so far ahead of their time and i am so glad i own a few of them and can also hunt some with my 99`s.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Nice post, Good luck with the bear hunt!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you did good !! ( . Y . )

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Slinky_Pickle
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I like that video. I'm going to start saving mild jugs.

It's the first time I had done it and it's kind of addictive. I know save all the milk jugs. smile

interesting read and you did well in case you are interested in the future i have LOTS of parts for the old girls and i am in Victoria B.c>

norm

welcome to the fire

Last edited by norm99; 04/25/19.

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by norm99
Originally Posted by Slinky_Pickle
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I like that video. I'm going to start saving mild jugs.

It's the first time I had done it and it's kind of addictive. I know save all the milk jugs. smile

interesting read and you did well in case you are interested in the future i have LOTS of parts for the old girls and i am in Victoria B.c>

norm

welcome to the fire

Not sure why I missed this until now. That's great to hear. I'm originally from the island as well but moved inland about 35 years ago. My dad just sold his farm in Cedar (north of Ladysmith) and we're in the process of moving him up here.

I would really like to look at the authenticity of the sights at some point. I'm not sure what the original setup would have been but it might be nice to have them wearing their original jewelry. I would also like to find a tang sight for the one that isn't equipped with one.

I was actually toying with CNC cutting a few carriers to see if I could do it. The deeper I got into the design, the more I realized that old Arthur Savage was a pretty bright dude. There's a lot going on in that carrier that isn't initially obvious until you try to recreate one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you post photos of the front and rear sight we can verify if they are original.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Now, THAT'S entertainment! Nice job on the rifles AND the story.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Sorry to dig up this old thread again but I finally got around to getting some pictures of the sights. Anyone want to weigh in as to which, if either, is original to the rifle?

The first up is serial # 13,3XX which is sporting a 1" x 5/16" dovetail blade front sight and a formed sheet metal ramp rear site of a brand that I don't recognize.

[Linked Image from uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com]

The second one is serial # 80,2XX and it appears to have a Marble's Sheard 5/8" x 5/16" front site along with a single ramp rear site with no apparent markings on it.

Feel free to chime in with your thoughts and ideas.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both front sights look like they belong to me.
You'd need to inspect for markings if any to help identify. Could be marked on the underside as well.
Then determine whether or not they were factory options. Old catalogs list them.
So you could determine period or correct, but, hard to tell if "factory" because front sights in general were not recorded in ledgers.

The rear sight on 13.xxx is known as a King rear sight. Likely a replacement as it is several years newer than the rifle. Not a bad thing though.
The rear sight on 80.xxx looks correct. It is a "long rear sight", ~3 5/8" long, several variations.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (2500HD, 300_savage, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 204guy, 18 invisible), 1,730 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,053
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.