Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just took ownership of this stock. The guy I bought if from said it was a McMillan KS stock that came off a KS rifle. Just wanted to confirm that’s it’s a McMillan or Brown Precision just for the sake of knowing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You ain't about that life.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It certainly looks like a KS - any chance of you posting a picture of the loading port part of the stock? As I recall the Brown built ones are a little more rounded versus the McMillan built stocks if that makes sense. This is a Brown KS and not a great pic but the edges of the loading part of the stock are a bit more rounded?? Based on the weight I'd bet its a McMillan built stock.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 04/21/19.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KS.

Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Frank,

Thanks for the lesson. I do have a Brown Precision KS stock as well. I compared the 2 stocks and you are correct. The loading ports are a little different in shape. I didn’t notice that before.

Here is a comparison of the 2.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
KS built by McMillan.
OregonM recalls correctly about the bolt cutout. The brown is more rounded. The inletting on the micky is also a little more refined.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Nice comparison Foreman. If you look at the bolt handle cutout on the brown (hidden in your first pic) you will notice it is more of a “teardrop” shape as well.
The “M” in the OPs pic is another confirmation.
Happy Easter all!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
Frank,

Thanks for the lesson. I do have a Brown Precision KS stock as well. I compared the 2 stocks and you are correct. The loading ports are a little different in shape. I didn’t notice that before.

Here is a comparison of the 2.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great pics! And I'm glad AKwolverine also chimed in - he's seen a KS stock before I believe wink Great score on that stock, looks likes its pretty much as new!!

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 04/21/19.

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Nice comparison Foreman. If you look at the bolt handle cutout on the brown (hidden in your first pic) you will notice it is more of a “teardrop” shape as well.
The “M” in the OPs pic is another confirmation.
Happy Easter all!

Thank you!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Great pics! And I'm glad AKwolverine also chimed in - he's seen a KS stock before I believe wink Great score on that stock, looks likes its pretty much as new!!

It has one little spot on it and that’s it. It came with the bottom metal as well. Now I have to find a barreled action for it. LOL

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just looked at my John Lacy Remington book. I didn't know until a little bit ago, but H&S also made a Kevlar stock for Remington. It also mentions that the KS was a Custom Shop product.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Just looked at my John Lacy Remington book. I didn't know until a little bit ago, but H&S also made a Kevlar stock for Remington. It also mentions that the KS was a Custom Shop product.

Yes, the KS Custom Mtn Rifle was a Custom Shop built rifle. And I believe at the end of the KS run they did build some with B & C built stocks but maybe it was HS Precision and not B&C. Nice rifles IMHO, sure like mine.

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Does KS stand for Kevlar Stock?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes.
KS = kevlar stock
RS = rynite stock
FS = fiberglass stock

All introduced about ‘87 IIRC.

News to me that hs ever made a ks stock (or maybe that is not what Butch meant.)

I have not seen a b&c ks but their mountain rifle stock from the ti is nearly identical...would certainly have been easy for Remington swap as a cost saving measure. Remington did all kinds of stock stuff in that era. In fact the only SA KS (mystical beast that they were) I have ever seen have all been on first gen saum ti’s. I think Gale once posted they made 500 as a special order, and my guess would be they all went on ti’s as there was never a true SA 700 KS. Fun trivia ...

Last edited by AKwolverine; 04/21/19. Reason: More minutia
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Not sure if I've ever posted this picture or not?? The 1st Gen Ti rifles that had the B&C stock and also the Gander Mtn Guide rifles that had that stock, anyway, they really where similar to the KS stock. I know some think the grip is thicker and it is - sometimes. In the picture the top rifle is a Gander Mtn Guide, middle is a 1st Gen Ti, bottom is a KS. The Ti stock and the KS are almost identical overall, not saying they are as good but as far as overall measurements they are sure close. The Gander stock does have a thicker grip, think it just depends on when they where made but all the older ones where pretty nice IMHO.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never knew that about the Ti’s and Mountain Guide stocks, definitely looks to be a minor difference.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes.
KS = kevlar stock
RS = rynite stock
FS = fiberglass stock

All introduced about ‘87 IIRC.

News to me that hs ever made a ks stock (or maybe that is not what Butch meant.)

I have not seen a b&c ks but their mountain rifle stock from the ti is nearly identical...would certainly have been easy for Remington swap as a cost saving measure. Remington did all kinds of stock stuff in that era. In fact the only SA KS (mystical beast that they were) I have ever seen have all been on first gen saum ti’s. I think Gale once posted they made 500 as a special order, and my guess would be they all went on ti’s as there was never a true SA 700 KS. Fun trivia ...

I never knew that H-S made any Remington stocks or Kevlar stocks. John Lacy's book said that on page 153. Said it was a composite of Kevlar, graphite, fiberglass, and special resins. It also says it came with an adjustable butt. I have 3 rifles that started as FS rifles and they have Brown Precision stocks. I think mine started as Mod7 in 243.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
bitchlambert,

Your "knowledge" base,is fhuqking HILARIOUS! Congratulations?!?

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Butch,
I believe brown made all the fs stocks, short lived as the fs was.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Butch,
I believe brown made all the fs stocks, short lived as the fs was.

You may be right. I like mine.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Top rifle is a Brown Precision with 2 McMillan's below mounted on Model 7 Remingtons. McMillan made different variations of the KS stock, so mine may not be exactly like yours, but from appearances, you do have a McMillan.

[Linked Image]

3 McMillan Stocks..., with differing recoil pad lengths.

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

424 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 48 invisible), 3,404 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,552
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.