Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I love my cast iron and just added a Wagner ‘chicken fryer’ to my collection, BUT I am having issues with fried eggs. We have chickens and there nothing like home grown eggs. I have a Griswald round griddle and eggs stick UNLESS is use a non-stick spray. Olive oil ect doesn’t work. If I spray with the non-stick sprays – no problem with sticking BUT I don’t really care to eat the Lecithin and Dimethyl Silicon. A main attraction to CI is that you not taking in aluminum or PTFE’s etc. Call me crazy, but I am convinced a lot of our health issues are due to the chemicals we take in from our food. Problem is the non-stick sprays really do work!

As an experiment, I tried my corn bread pan to fry eggs. This is a no-name pan but black as night and slick as snot. Oiled it up good with some olive and eggs stuck like crazy to it. So, unless, ya’ll can give me the secret (not involving a cup of lard) I may just have to go to the dark side and spring for a SS and ceramic non-stick pan for my eggs.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Crisco?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by djb
I love my cast iron and just added a Wagner ‘chicken fryer’ to my collection, BUT I am having issues with fried eggs. We have chickens and there nothing like home grown eggs. I have a Griswald round griddle and eggs stick UNLESS is use a non-stick spray. Olive oil ect doesn’t work. If I spray with the non-stick sprays – no problem with sticking BUT I don’t really care to eat the Lecithin and Dimethyl Silicon. A main attraction to CI is that you not taking in aluminum or PTFE’s etc. Call me crazy, but I am convinced a lot of our health issues are due to the chemicals we take in from our food. Problem is the non-stick sprays really do work!

As an experiment, I tried my corn bread pan to fry eggs. This is a no-name pan but black as night and slick as snot. Oiled it up good with some olive and eggs stuck like crazy to it. So, unless, ya’ll can give me the secret (not involving a cup of lard) I may just have to go to the dark side and spring for a SS and ceramic non-stick pan for my eggs.

A bit odd. I don't have that problem. Maybe try an oil with a higher smoke point? Maybe you just need more of it?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Also your pans need more seasoning. Buy yourself a small CI dedicated egg pan. Season the crap out of it and NEVER wash it or cook higher than med heat.

Also lard or bacon grease.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Plenty of seasoning on my pans. That's why I experimented with my designated corn bread pan. That sucker has seen nothing but butter, corn bread batter, and a wipe from a towel for probably 10 years. It don't get much more seasoned than that pan.

I read somewhere to try a wipe of oil, then a pad of butter just before dropping the egg. That's why I was wondering if there was a technique. Something in that chemical cocktail spray sure works, but I don't want to use it.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by noKnees
Crisco?

That’s what I use if I don’t have bacon grease.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My skillets are seasoned with lard and I fry my eggs in bacon grease. They don’t stick.

Cast

I have a short attention spa
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
butter, no stick

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sse
butter, no stick

Yep. That works too if I don’t have any bacon grease or Crisco.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Funny how so many people recommend bacon grease or curing a pan by frying bacon. In my experience the sugar in the bacon causes major sticking.

I always drop a pad on butter in the hot pan before making cornbread and haven't found anything to cure a pan better than baking cornbread this way. I'll give the butter a go tomorrow.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are three groups when it comes to frying eggs: those who have enough oil in the pan to float the eggs, those whose eggs always stick, and liars.

Amended.

Last edited by 5sdad; 04/22/19. Reason: amendment

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I can't tolerate grease anymore, which means bacon fat will make me sick more often than not. I have started using an air fryer to cook bacon in, and I fry my eggs in a non-stick pan using a pat of butter.

Yeah, I know I'm missing out on the great flavor of bacon fat, but my stomach might argue that.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I use butter.

Too hot or not enough oil will stick anything.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
djb - I usually use a Wagner #3 or a Griswold #5 (Gramma's old pan), both ca. 1920's, and butter to fry my eggs - bacon grease when available. Had sticking problems for quite some time until I wised up and figgered out eggs don't need anything more than low heat. Try reducing your frying temp, makes a big difference. I like runny yolks and don't like crunchy edges on the whites.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Also your pans need more seasoning. Buy yourself a small CI dedicated egg pan. Season the crap out of it and NEVER wash it or cook higher than med heat.

Also lard or bacon grease.

Listen to Fats.....

I use a carbon steel Lodge for eggs but I treat it just like CI which included seasoning it (with lard) every day for about a week to get it to come around. I have a 8" CI egg pan that doesn't stick either but I like the shape of the steel pan better.

Keep the heat low....your eggs will take a little longer but they won't stick.

https://shop.lodgemfg.com/prodcat/seasoned-steel.asp

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Pre-heat your skillet and use enough oil/grease. Do not use too much heat. Don't get in a hurry and they will cook just fine.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Pre-heat your skillet and use enough oil/grease. Do not use too much heat. Don't get in a hurry and they will cook just fine.

Yup, got to start out with a hot pan with some grease or butter. They never stick if you put them in a hot pan.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Eggs will stick in a cool pan, and a dry pan. It takes some patience to allow the mass of CI to come to proper temperature; and some type of oil/fat is a must.

I usually use spray oil, but in such small amount I have no worries about the texture modifiers. Of course butter tastes better.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I wiped a little EVOO then heated the pan up slowly. Dropped a small pad of butter in the pan followed by the eggs and BINGO! Perfection! You can tell when the eggs are sticking because the outside edge gets very thin and dry looking with small bubbles. Not sure if it was the technique and/or the butter but it worked. I could only get the picture link to post from my iphone. Thanks everyone!

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13764953/pan[/img]

Last edited by djb; 04/23/19.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
you need to let the eggs cook long enough before trying to flip them. When they develop a 'skin' on the cooked side, they are not going to stick.

Sam......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

728 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10ring1, 78 invisible), 2,985 guests, and 1,536 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,737
Posts18,475,977
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.