Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I am just an old dumb hillbilly. The closest I have come to flying an aircraft is "Row 3B". And I am not meaning to pick on anyone. However, I am incredulous that:

1) The good guys observed the bad guy taking off from a hostile airfield.
2) The "eye in the sky" painted the bad guy multiple times.
3) An experienced pilot had visual confirmation that the afterburner plume was NOT ONE OF OURS.
4) The craft blew through or by a formation of good guys going the wrong way.
5) And yet he was able to do a 180, sneak in the back door, and lob a Hail Mary non-visual rocket up a good guy's six...

I understand that war is hell and combat is chaos. Was there an AAR? Was the AAR published? Teachable moments from the AAR? Changes to ROE's?

Again, not trying to criticize. I've only ever been a civilian. I understand that the guys who have served want civilians to shut the "eff" up. But this scenario is disappointing...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
[/quote]
I had never seen a list of losses and was surprised that there were as many as there were. We here at home were certainly shielded from the losses we incurred. Thank you for the information.

That was a smart move on behalf of the Govt. We Americans, back home, don't seem to have the stomach for our soldiers getting killed. Keep it out of the news. Report the victories but not the costs of getting them. That lesson was learned in Vietnam. Every night on the news they gave out the total Americans, South Vietnamese, and North Vietnamese and allies KIA and WIA. It was a damn scorecard.

Jim

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually, the losses we all well publicized in the media as the war went on. Same for the POWs. There was very little misinformation on the part of the Coalition, except in those instances to send false intel to the enemy. A lot of our losses, particularly the ones from Air Wing One (CAG 1) were as a result of the air wing commander, who really was weak on tactics and went in the old fashioned way, "low and fast" on the initial strikes. After we had that sorted, our losses were really pretty minimal, when you consider the tens of thousands of combat sorties flown.,

Orion, you raise some very, very good questions and to fully answer, would take a long post and I'm lazy. I'll just say the first time at bat is always very confusing, with the "fog of war" taking its toll. Also, another BIG issue with the Hornet, is it's lack of an IFF interrogator (for Modes III & IV, the latter being encrypted). Instead, they had a pretty worthless system called NCTR (non-cooperative target recognition) which was basically a "harmonics detector" of the frequency put out by an airplane's engines and it works ONLY in the forward quarter (in other words "beak to beak" only). All our other fighters, Tomcats, Eagles, etc have them but the Hornet does not. So, I can easily accept EITHER theory, that is the MiG bagged him or friendly fire, but I will NOT ACCEPT the authoress' notion we left him behind because of someone's ego. FAR too many people involved to try and hide something like this.
J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hey Jorge, What about the British, I remember the tornado did not fare too well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by smokepole
Okie, "the Iraqis only succeeded in shooting down 44 manned aircraft," did I read that right?

1991 (Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm)
February 5 – An F/A-18A Hornet (Bureau Number : 163096) crashed in the Persian Gulf. The pilot (Lieutenant Robert Dwyer) was lost over the North Persian Gulf after a successful mission to Iraq. Dwyer served in Carrier Air Wing 8 (CVW-8). His body was never recovered (officially listed as KIA-BNR).[14]

To be fair, while Bird was coming in off a strike, he and his wingman checked other clean of damage. Red Crown followed his jet as it steeped up over the gulf and into the water. He was well known to take his mask off for a smoke post strike and the thought is a cabin pressure leak got him. We put on an extensive search to no avail. Get Zeke to tell you the story. He and "Fox" Fallon, our CAG had words.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BamBam
Hey Jorge, What about the British, I remember the tornado did not fare too well.

Not any worse than our Intruders. Ar first, it all had to do with adjusting tactics.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Orion, we have suffered from "ROE Disease" since Vietnam. Because our military is controlled by politicians, we seem to get political restrictions that are based on somebody's idea of fair play - something which should not exist whatsoever in combat.

In Vietnam, I once discovered a large group (hundreds) of uniformed NVA soldiers lolling about and relaxing in a rubber plantation. I radioed in and was told in no uncertain terms that I could not bomb a Michelin-owned rubber plantation, but I could bomb an adjacent swath of jungle - which had no enemy in it because they had learned we were forbidden to bomb Michelin rubber trees! How's that for ROE disease?

The Navy's excellent F-14 was designed to shoot and kill enemy planes from miles away, beyond visual range. But for a long time, F-14 crews were forbidden to attack until they made a visual ID of whoever they were tracking. In other words, "Let them get close enough to kill you first." Directly counter to what the plane was designed to do.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Jorge, I thought all current air frames had IFF? I was going to include IFF in my list, but forgot. Wow...

Rocky, I am in the mode of avoiding conflict when practical. But when conflict is inevitable, hit the other guy so fast, so hard, so bad, that his friends ballz shrivel up as they watch from the side lines. I can only imagine the frustration over ROE's created by pencil pushers...

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Jorge, I thought all current air frames had IFF?
The current ones might, I'm just not sure, but I'm betting they do. The FA/18 was the only airframe we've purchased that failed OPEVAL (operational evaluation) and as one Admiral put it, "an airplane doomed to success." It was to replace the A-7 and the F-4 and it did neither. It had (has) horrible endurance, so much so, that carrier Cycles (launches and recoveries, had to be shortened considerably and now with really no organic tanker, they have to rely on shore based tanker assets. It sucks...

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
The night of the El Dorado Canyon strike, our ROE was a fighter pilot’s dream. “Weapons free” for anything northbound above 1000’. Fortunately for them and unfortunately for us, none of them launched. The Libyans did not like to fly over water at night.

Rumor has it that one Mig sitting on strip alert was told to launch and he told his controller that his a/c was down with something like “the a/c is down due to a knife stuck in the attitude gyro”😀

At the time we were flying with the Television Camera System (TCS) and in the daytime visual ID would not have posed a problem. During one mission on our Airwing workup at Fallon we got a visual ID on an A-4 and could tell it was a TA-4J, not a single seater, well beyond Sparrow range.

That was in the F-14A BTW.

Last edited by navlav8r; 04/27/19.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That's a cool article jorge. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
We had IFF modes III & IV. We were forbidden to take off if our mode IV was inop, wouldn't load, or dropped the current load and none was available to reload. Before shut down both pilots verified the switch was set to hold the data.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

While I don't understand but about 1% of what you guys are talking about, I enjoy reading it. Thanks also for your service.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
In the story on the original post, the lead F-18 pilot said he had an ID. The problem is the ROE always (well, typically) requires two forms of ID. As mentioned, the F-18 did not have an interrogator to get a second form or any long range visual means. They also apparently weren’t able to effectively communicate with other aircraft who could have solved. That’s a training issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ROE's are both necessary and a deadly obstacle amidst the chaos of combat. They evolve over time, but the opening bell for warfare presents a lot of fog. It isn't unusual to see the rules get bent once a conflict has matured to some extent. They do lower the number of friendly fire events

I never did it of course. Between the hours of midnight to 5AM.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
What am I missing here? These planes are closing at several hundred miles per hour and several seconds go by but the distance between them only decreases by 4 or 5 miles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Possible point of confusion: IFF transponders are installed in all aircraft---at least military stuff. It responds to interrogations and transmits back an identification code.

What Jorge was talking about is an IFF Interrogator which issue interrogations. Back in my day, that would have been APX-76---at least on P-3Cs. The Transponder on the P-3C was the APX-72.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Target aspect/geometry.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Best thing about this thread, not a single post from the usualasshole crowd! smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,214
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.