-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 27 1 2 3 4 26 27
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m all done with two wheels. Porsche has replaced my need .

GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I watched my 70 yr old mother all 130 lbs of her set a 6 cyl Goldwing back up on its wheels after being shown the proper technique. Hard to believe it is not taught to all new riders.
Pavementends

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
R100gs
R100R
The requirement about rebuild ability make it tough.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pavementends
I watched my 70 yr old mother all 130 lbs of her set a 6 cyl Goldwing back up on its wheels after being shown the proper technique. Hard to believe it is not taught to all new riders.
Pavementends

Ya, you put your back to the downed bike, grab the end of the handlebar on the ground, and then with your back straight lift with your legs (NOT your back) walking backwards, plus a Goldwing is designed not to tip all the way over.

All of this works good on a flat, firm surface assuming the motorcycle isn't actually inclined somewhat upside down. For example, to state an extreme example I had a buddy whose parked BMW OilHead GS went end over end off of a dirt bank in Big Bend grin

Fortunately there were other guys present, and though the windshield was toast the bike was still rideable, the extra dings and dents adding authenticity to the dual-sport design, or so I told him grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brazos
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by grouseman
I've always loved the big BMW boxers. Not sure how parking lot rebuildable they are.

They haven’t built an AirHead (air-cooled motor) since 1995. Pretty sure the OilHeads are quite complex.

?????

I owned the last of the classic air-cooled gummikuhns, a 1994 BMWR100 GS/PD, it was beautiful and I would have kept it forever but I cannot abide an unreliable bike. Pretty bike, lots of class, but a POS in execution. After three significant warranty repairs I had to accept the fact that it was never gonna be "fixed" and sold it off as soon as I paid it off two years and 45,000 miles after I bought it. It looked good sitting in the driveway but sucked as a daily driver.

During that time I attended two BMW National Rallies along with a good friend who had just bought then then new Oil/air cooled 1200cc (??) GS version. At both rallies R100 GS/PD's like mine had to be towed/shipped home, so it weren't just me. I got lucky, even though the cylinder studs on the left side pulled en-route (cases later replaced under warranty) mine got me back from Colorado.

My friends significantly faster and more powerful fuel-injected next generation GS went as far on his six-gallon tank as my old-school R bike went on it's nine. But I could service that old-school R bike all by myself; simple valves, conventional carbs, it was simple.

I confess, I dunno what is involved on the new ones.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
R100gs
R100R
The requirement about rebuild ability make it tough.

The R75GS is the one to look for.

In the high-torque, low rev applications common to off-road, R100GS's had a tendency to run hot and pull the cylinder studs, mine did, but it was later shown that on my bike the aluminum cases were also flawed from poor casting, so it became a warranty repair.

Also the paralever drive shaft failed like clockwork at around 25,000 miles (I was on my third when I sold the bike), turns out the taller suspension ran the two u-joints along the shaft through too wide an angle. IIRC the R75 used the same cases but the smaller cylinders were less likely to pull the studs. Also the driveshaft was just a driveshaft, no u-joints.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Robert_White

My last bike was a KLR650, actually it became my last bike when I pulled it out of storage after two years one morning when my Beemer crapped out yet again. Drained the oil, dropped in a battery and it fired right up like it had just been ridden the day before.

GREAT bike, right out of the box. I pulled some 1,000 mile Interstate days on mine, flogged it off road and on, and in a corner the first thing that woulda touched down was the handlebars cool Dead-nuts reliable too.

I will add another perfect motorcycle requirement though.....

8) TUBELESS TIRES

Even today spoked wheels almost always mean inner tubes, an absolute PITA when you get a flat. On a tubeless setup a rubber rivet and a can of fix-a-flat will usually get you home. On a tube tire that tires gotta come off.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I always figured Vincent (HRD) had it figured out. Except for the vibration, Lucas electrics, and not sure how well the passenger did.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Robert_White

My last bike was a KLR650, actually it became my last bike when I pulled it out of storage after two years one morning when my Beemer crapped out yet again. Drained the oil, dropped in a battery and it fired right up like it had just been ridden the day before.

GREAT bike, right out of the box. I pulled some 1,000 mile Interstate days on mine, flogged it off road and on, and in a corner the first thing that woulda touched down was the handlebars cool Dead-nuts reliable too.

I will add another perfect motorcycle requirement though.....

8) TUBELESS TIRES

Even today spoked wheels almost always mean inner tubes, an absolute PITA when you get a flat. On a tubeless setup a rubber rivet and a can of fix-a-flat will usually get you home. On a tube tire that tires gotta come off.

Do you know how or why the Marines chose it?

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
IC B3

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sitting here burning up the iPhone will watching over the grandkid...

What I would want in a motorcycle.

1) ABILITY TO PULL 80 ALL DAY LONG ON THE INTERSTATE.

...I have heard this eliminates the Harley Sportsters which do pull 80, but which beat you Death doing so.

3) THREE CYLINDERS OR LESS.

When loping along at a moderate speed, one to three cylinders impart a pleasant, companiable rhythm whereas IME inline fours are just dull as a post when not wound out.

4) SERIOUS CORNERINGING CLEARANCE.

When it comes to roadbike skills, corners are everything. Gotta be able to lean 30+ degrees in corners. This eliminates all Harleys except for the Sportster cafe racer, which barely makes the cut.

6) REBUILDABLE IN A PARKING LOT...

You really don't know what you're talking about.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rem141r
cruising 80 all day will eliminate most if not all harleys unless the new ones are remarkably better riding than previous years.

Nope, as Bristoe states, the big twins have been perfectly highway-capable for years now.

no motorcycle built in the past 25 years is parking lot rebuildable unless you have a schit ton if tools, skill and knowledge.

More accurately, no motorcycle engine DESIGNED in the past 25 years is parking lot rebuildable, including every Harley-Davidson since maybe 1984 when the Evo motor came in.

Before that, if you rode a ShovelHead Harley regularly, you carried a schit ton of tools, and of necessity had learned skill and knowledge grin

IIRC the Honda and Suzuki 650cc dual-sport thumpers (single cylinder) are essentially unchanged for more'n thirty years at least, they might even still have carbureters, I gotta go look. I am aware of two incidents of Honda 650's being rebuilt in parking lots on long expeditions, even met one of the guys who did one when he was passing through Oaxaca in Southern Mexico.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pal

...I have heard this eliminates the Harley Sportsters which do pull 80, but which beat you Death doing so.

When loping along at a moderate speed, one to three cylinders impart a pleasant, companiable rhythm whereas IME inline fours are just dull as a post when not wound out.

When it comes to roadbike skills, corners are everything. Gotta be able to lean 30+ degrees in corners. This eliminates all Harleys except for the Sportster cafe racer, which barely makes the cut.

6) REBUILDABLE IN A PARKING LOT...

You really don't know what you're talking about.

Maybe, but I didn't own a car until my 40's, put in around 250,000 miles on motorcycles as my daily driver, hung out with motorcyclists, met women through motorcycles, 365 days a year, all weathers.

OK, I'll grant requirement #6 metaphor status grin

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cisco1

Moto Guzzi California

Loves RPM's ...cruise 80+++ easily.....have to pick it up by putting your back up against it.

Corners like a sports bike , maybe better

'Guzzis rock, I agree cool

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
After 28 years of riding Harley Davidsons I never worried about tipping one over. I bought a Gold Wing and after 2 years I lost track of how many times I had to ask people to help me pick mine up for me. I traded it in on a new Heritage Softtail Harley Davidson . It is 200 lbs lighter and put a smile
back on my face.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Essential when crossing the Continent. I have heard this eliminates the Harley Sportsters which do pull 80, but which beat you Death doing so.

2) ROOM FOR A PASSENGER.

Doesn’t have to be a sofa, but shouldn’t be S&M gear either. This eliminates sportbikes which impart a gynecological exam chair posture to the passenger.

5) PICK-UPPABLE BY ONE PERSON AFTER TIP-OVER.

I have this phobia of being found dead in the desert....... next to my tipped-over motorcycle.

Might eleminate the Harley Dresser And GoldWing-class motorcycles

So far Bristoe’s 650 Bergmann scooter is one of the top picks grin :

6) REBUILDABLE IN A PARKING LOT.

Only ones still that simple anymore I know of are the air cooled 650 thumper dual sports by Suzuki and Honda.

7) A FOREVER MOTORCYCLE.

A classic worth keeping forever, supported by a continuing availability of parts.

Not sure I know of one that meets all of the above.

https://www.royalenfield.com/us/en/

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kwg020
I have been looking at the Suzuki and Honda 650's. They need a 6th gear and they need to set lower. The Dual sports are made for guys with a 40" inseams.

kwg

The Suzuki DR650 off the showroom floor has always had the option of setting the whole bike lower for that very reason. I rode a KLR650 for a couple of years that was likewise quite tall, especially as my legs ain't that long. You just get used to it, touching down at stoplight on tippy-toes instead of flat-footed. It helps a lot that the bike doesn't weigh much, and that ground clearance certainly helps off-road, you can see over traffic on the freeway too, especially if you stand on the pegs if necessary.

Throwing a leg way high to get on and off that tall fugger every single time will also develop your UFC skills wink

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 04/26/19.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Birdwatcher threads are THE BEST.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
The first step in finding the perfect motorcycle is being able to afford one.

Thank you for an opportunity for talking about myself some more.

Actually I prob'ly could afford a motorcycle at this point, I'm paying $600 a month less interest now than I was 30 months back when I assumed all the debt. So if'n I could tolerate three more years of debt I could be out of debt AND pay off a brand-new Softail by 2022. I mean it ain't like I'm gonna run out and fix the AC and replace the water heater right away anyway. But.... 2020 is my goal.

I might run out to the Harley dealership tomorrow if I ate and breathed motorcycles like I did after coming back from Africa. Living in that shack on that deer lease I landed smack dab into the midst of the East Texas Harley culture. People for whom their motorcycle was like a member of the family, for the next twelve years of my life I myself was on a motorcycle every day, my only transportation.

It prob'ly will be a Harley, its an itch I ain't scratched yet but it wont be the same as it was. See, I used to think that a motorcycle loaded up with camping gear, tent and bedroll with a whole Continent waiting on your doorstep was the finest thing in all creation.

But after you've done the same thing on a bicycle, motorcycles seem sorta..... ....ordinary.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good on you Mike! Hope you can afford one soon. I’ll probably start looking for one in the next year or two myself.
I’m thinking a KLR650 might be fun for starters.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/26/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 27 1 2 3 4 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 219DW, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,863
Posts18,517,884
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.