Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All,
On the catalog page Keith posted above there is an extra for "matted barrel - $5". Do you think the matted barrel is what we are calling a "rib"?

That’s what I was thinking.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
From what little I could find in google - you may be right.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Absolutely awesome. That rifle probably rode many a mile in the saddle scabbard. Would love to know the length of the barrel and see a couple of close up photos of the front sight. The butt stock doesn't mean spit to me, and the 1901 doesn't either. It may commemorate the year of a hunt they made together. Great gun ---- great story. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, how many of the pre 90,000 were engraved?

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What amazes me is that Savage only charged $40 for Grade E engraving (which is the type I believe is on this rifle, not counting the add-on presentation engraving). Per Google, the average american annual wage in 1900 was $449.80. Assuming 2000 work hours a year, that works out to $0.225/hr. I would think a skilled artisan engraver like Tue would have been paid more than that. At 50 cents an hour, the engraving would have taken less than 80 hours for Savage to only charge $40 for it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The barrel stamp appears to be 300? Kind of hard to see from the picture. I guess it could/should be 303. Nice rifle

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oldgunsmith
Would love to know the length of the barrel

22"

"Every day above ground is a good day."
R
R
Originally Posted by oldgunsmith
Absolutely awesome. That rifle probably rode many a mile in the saddle scabbard. Would love to know the length of the barrel and see a couple of close up photos of the front sight. The butt stock doesn't mean spit to me, and the 1901 doesn't either. It may commemorate the year of a hunt they made together. Great gun ---- great story. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, how many of the pre 90,000 were engraved?

oldgunsmith, you are absolutely right as I was told "The rifle was carried many miles in a scabbard and shot many animals by 3 generations of Sheffields". The caliber is .303 Savage and barrel length is 22 inches. The front sight is a Gold Bead Sheard sight. I have told that Ben was a test shooter for Sheard in the early days.

R
R

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RoadKing1998; 04/27/19.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Very Cool!
so, is that rib milled into an oversized octagon barrel? Or, is that rib soldered on the standard octagon barrel? ..must be a heavy bugger.. (do you have a close-up of the muzzle, a solder seam might be visible if it was two-pieced.

The front sight mounting and barrel stamping on the rib are very cool details! Why would that rib have been an attractive option? not like the octagon barrel needed stiffening, or would have benefited from the aided sight line...

Last edited by JeffG; 04/27/19.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
R
R
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
All,
On the catalog page Keith posted above there is an extra for "matted barrel - $5". Do you think the matted barrel is what we are calling a "rib"?

That’s what I was thinking.

I don't believe the matted reference refers to a rib. I have had a few Winchesters with matted barrels and they did not include a rib. I could be wrong because $5 seems to be a lot of money to run a barrel through a "matt roll". I have had one Winchister with a ramp barrel but can't remember how it was describe by Winchester. Maybe the member that has some ramped barrel Savage can shed some light on this.

IC B3

R
R
Originally Posted by JeffG
Very Cool!
so, is that rib milled into an oversized octagon barrel? Or, is that rib soldered on the standard octagon barrel? ..must be a heavy bugger.. (do you have a close-up of the muzzle, a solder seam might be visible if it was two-pieced.

The front sight mounting and barrel stamping on the rib are very cool details! Why would that rib have been an attractive option? not like the octagon barrel needed stiffening, or would have benefited from the aided sight line...

The rib is actually soldered to the barrel which I do not believe to be a standard barrel. The barrel measures .9425" across the flats at the reciever and .6950" across flats at muzzle. Maybe someone can check the measurement on one of your standard octagon barrel rifles.
Yes it is a heavy bugger.
[Linked Image]

R
R
A little bit of information on the Hulman Company

Hulman & Company

Hulman & Company is an American private, family-owned, company founded in 1850 by Francis T. Hulman as a wholesale foods supplier of groceries, tobacco, and liquor, headquartered in Terre Haute, Indiana. [1] Throughout the early half of the 20th century, Hulman & Co. became nationally known for its Clabber Girl baking powder which it began producing in 1899. In 1945, the company purchased the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, in what many thought was an unusual investment for a company with a rich history in the food and beverage industry. The company also owns a television production company, Wabash Valley Broadcasting, dba IMS Productions, which does in-house work for their NTT IndyCar Series, various teams in the organization, and in the past, produced NBA Indiana Pacers and Professional Bull Riders broadcasts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks so much for the photos of the front sight, it was very interesting to me. The rifle is the most interesting one that I have seen on this forum. I have often heard people say ......"Oh , if that rifle could talk, what stories it could tell." With you having all the provenance, I'm hoping that you got some of the stories as well !!! I'm hoping that when you get the original buttstock, it has a crack that they repaired with rawhide :):):) Many thanks again for sharing your rifle, beautiful piece.

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From my notes for other examples with rib.

Here's a link to that superb 1899A Monarch 31.708 that sold last December at Rock Island for over $500k. It has a solid rib. Picture of the letter says it was accepted from the factory on 2/25/1902; forwarded by shipping department on 1/19/1904 to the original consignee entered as Mr Enoch Tue.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...ity-savage-model-1899-lever-action-rifle

1899B 21.194 303 nickel engraved also had a rib.

Last edited by KeithNyst; 04/27/19.
R
R
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
From my notes for other examples with rib.

Here's a link to that superb 1899A Monarch 31.708 that sold last December at Rock Island for over $500k. It has a solid rib. Picture of the letter says it was accepted from the factory on 2/25/1902; forwarded by shipping department on 1/19/1904 to the original consignee entered as Mr Enoch Tue.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...ity-savage-model-1899-lever-action-rifle

1899B 21.194 303 nickel engraved also had a rib.

Thanks for that link. I have seen that gun in person but completely forgot about it having the solid rib. I find it strange that there is no mention of the solid rid in the letter from Savage. Not that I doubt the originally of the gun at all.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Everytime I see example's of these rifle's I'm surprised Savage didn't hire someone who could engrave animal's.

R
R
Here are some of the photos I have accompanying the rifle. The are from the family album and a book I have with photos by Ben Sheffield.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

kiwi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Great Photos Thanks Brian

One in the hand is better than two in the bush

Graham
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keith, you're right, it's E engraving.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

R
R
For a while Ben Sheffield was the Sheriff of Moran. While as the Sheriff he carried a Colt Shooting Master. I was also able to aquire this from the family. The gun has seen some use and neglect as it was in a box during a fire but survived.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (22250rem, 2500HD, 219DW, 1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,797
Posts18,496,252
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.