Hop To
Page 15 of 27 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 26 27
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Not a woodchuck but it'll do in this case.....

Just load your .270 with one of them 90gr Speer TNTs, and you'll have a sell-able rabbit fur wink

First,that is a Weatherby Mark V .460 Wby and I used a 400 grain Speer at 2500 fps on that bunny,the range was about 45 yards.

Same rifle and same load,except the range was about 75 yards.
[Linked Image]

As far as SD and BC those are two numbers I ignore. I'm more interested in bullet construction and performance. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Im with you 100%

GOD Bless America
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Quak
Show me an animal you would hunt with a 6.5 that a .270 won't shoot through with ease. Ive seen .270s blow out the far side of moose...id venture a guess that a 150g A Frame or any of the monos would too.

exit wounds are exit wounds

again...its the people

The 160gr. Weldcore penetrates FAR FAR better than the 150gr partition. Most shoulder shots, the 150gr partition doesn't exit on elk. it's really not even vaguely close.;

The .270 was relegated to a second rate cartridge by the twist rate mistake Winchester made. It's unfortunate, as they could simply have copped the 7mm Mauser twist rate of 1:220mm (8.6") and been fine, but those are the facts.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Yeah, so what?

Yup, ignore those inconvenient facts smile Some of us prefer the superior performance of the higher-SD 6.5mm bullets. The 160gr Weldcore consistently gives an exit on elk even on shoulder shots, which can't be said for anything expanding in .277. It's simply superior.

I question your experience

Last edited by Quak; 04/30/19.

GOD Bless America
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That's nice. Facts are still facts, and they're not on your side smile

IC B2

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bet those 130 grain NBT's or SGK 's .277 bullets can't kill a small white tail doe.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't understand why anyone would care what firearms or cartridges another person uses, as long as it doesn't directly impact them in negative manner. Heck, I don't care if most other people take their next breath, much less what firearm or cartridge they favor, as they are inconsequential to me.

I've shot an elk or 2 with the 270 and they died promptly. I'm pretty sure that those elk would have died just as quickly if I'd shot them with a different cartridge, just as long as I was using a properly constructed bullet and made the same bullet placement.

I like to shoot and am curious about new cartridges, so despite having a couple dozen rifles chambered for other 6.5mm bore cartridges, I bought a Weatherby Vanguard2 in 6.5 Creedmoor in 02/14. After shooting the 6.5 Creedmoor for a bit, I decided that for my needs it didn't do anything that those other rifles chambered for 6.5mm bore cartridges didn't do equally well. Curiously, I find myself with 12 more rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. Lots of redundancy in my gun room.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I don't understand why anyone would care what firearms or cartridges another person uses, as long as it doesn't directly impact them in negative manner. Heck, I don't care if most other people take their next breath, much less what firearm or cartridge they favor, as they are inconsequential to me.

I've shot an elk or 2 with the 270 and they died promptly. I'm pretty sure that those elk would have died just as quickly if I'd shot them with a different cartridge, just as long as I was using a properly constructed bullet and made the same bullet placement.

I like to shoot and am curious about new cartridges, so despite having a couple dozen rifles chambered for other 6.5mm bore cartridges, I bought a Weatherby Vanguard2 in 6.5 Creedmoor in 02/14. After shooting the 6.5 Creedmoor for a bit, I decided that for my needs it didn't do anything that those other rifles chambered for 6.5mm bore cartridges didn't do equally well. Curiously, I find myself with 12 more rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. Lots of redundancy in my gun room.

This +10

Next the only really enlightening fact of this whole thread is that Kirk Stovall aka Shrapnel aka Chuck Norris of MT DOES not own a SAKO L61R Deluxe chambered for 264 Win Mag. Damned if I don't see and smell some profit taking opportunity here...… MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SKane
Welcome to:

[Linked Image]

AND the CHEW ! CHEW ! CHEW !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Doesn't the trend for the 6.5 try to replace hunting cartridges with the 6.5?

The pro 6.5 people are continually comparing the superiority of the 6.5 to the rest of the hunting cartridges.

****>>It is all over the Campfire, I am not the only one tired of the raves of the cartridge.

*****>>This was still a thread about Craig Boddington and the 270, and as soon as the 6.5 was brought up, The whole issue is about the 6.5.

H E A R ! >> HERE >> HEAR This !!

I could NOT have said it any better and maybe not as well.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
If you read the article, Craig Boddington was the one who brought up the 6.5 cartridges and compared them to the .270.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
6.5X55....... I glommed onto one of the very first Winchester XTR M70 Featherweights that were chambered for the round, back in '85 or '86, I don't remember.

uhhh, something like mine ?

[Linked Image]

Does this count ?

I got it in Dec, 2011 and killed my first deer with it the FIRST day I took it hunting in 2012.

EDIT to ADD >>> This Guy:

[Linked Image]

Since then @ 5 others. It does NOT have an excessively long throat. It's easy to load ammo for it. This is my 2nd Win 70 FTWT and LOVE the rifle.

It has a Swift 3-9X40 scope and it took longer to get the velocity UP to my specs than ANY 270 W I've ever had.

If that 6.5X55 wasn't in THAT rifle...... it'd be gone. For now, it's not for sale.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/30/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
mathman,

I've asked the same basic question a number of times, and have yet to get an answer. But in the interests of objectivity, will ask a few more:

Do pro-Creedmoorites knock on your door and demand you turn over your .257 Roberts, .270 or even your 6.5x55? So far none have in my neighborhood, the reason I still have my .270, plus a pair of .257's and another pair of 6.5x55's.

Do pro-Creedmoorites gather in public places, demonstrating for the confiscation of rifles chambered for such "antique" cartridges? Do the more generous pro-Creedmoorites lobby for "buy-back" programs for those hunters unfortunate enough to be burdened with such old and inadequate rounds?

Do anti-Creedmoorites go to the local range and get mobbed by 6.5 Creedmoor shooters, who refuse to let them use the range until they at least pull the trigger on one Creedmoor round?

Perhaps my simple mind isn't up to imagining what that anti-Creedmoorites constantly encounter in our increasingly contentious society. But I am certainly open to hearing about any obvious cases of abuse from pro-Creedmoorites, and would gladly publish an article in RIFLE LOONY NEWS exposing such anti-American horrors.

LMAO.......and oh so true.

Here is a public service announcement :. There's this new thing called Amazon Prime auto order in which you can set up monthly orders for your often used, favorite goods. For those of you who are perpetually butt hurt and incessantly whining about the 6.5 CM, may I suggest a monthly reorder of a butt hurt care package. this package includes the famous Butthurt cream for instant anal relief, a pocket pack of tissues for the tears, and some tampons.

Last edited by JGRaider; 04/30/19.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bowmanh
If you read the article, Craig Boddington was the one who brought up the 6.5 cartridges and compared them to the .270.

I tried to read the article, twice. Fell asleep both times.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
You know, around 1964, remington made an announcement.of the 7mm rem mag. People squared off against between the new cartridge and rifle pitting guess what, the 270 in question. Before chronographs the 7mm was supposed to be a giant killer when compared to its opponents.
Time has a way of settling these problems. Just like then, the new model 700 was the talk of the town.
Far as i know the 270 will not go away. I think it will still be around. As time marches on the creedmoor will be eclipced by another new cartridge that everyone will just want. Are advancements in the future coming to us?
The 6.5 cm will not go away. But it may be relegated to the closet like a lot of other cartridges. Kinda reminds my own thoughts when i had to have an 06, and retired my 30/30. Then own to the 7 mag , then 270, the 6.5/284 etc
Rifle owners my self included want the latest and greatest. The way people love the 6.5 cm, i was just as struck whem remington came with the 260 about 22 years ago. Its literature in magazines was that it had more energy with the 140 at 200 yards than the 270 with the 130 grain bullet had. Seems like every cartridge that has come along in the last 60 years has had the 270 in their crosshairs..wonder why??

Last edited by Ttexastom1; 04/30/19. Reason: Spelling

(Liberalism is a mental disorder, Michael savage radio show) member of donald's deplorables
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
Well Mr. Gandhi or anyone else for that matter is welcome to offer a facts-based defense of the .270. They can try to explain how great low sectional density, excessive taper and steep shoulder cases are in a hunting round. But if what they're selling is nostalgia rather than physics, I'm not buying. And when it gets down to facts, the .270 pretty much sucks. About the only good thing you can say about it is that the SAAMI max pressure is high.

What is this low sectional density to which you keep referring?

The sectional density of a 6.5mm 140 grain bullet equals that of a 154 grain bullet (close enough to 150- grain not to matter) in a .270 or a 190 grain bullet in a .308 diameter.

As for "excessive" taper and "steep" shoulder angle, those make it more likely to feed properly, which is why the US military chose those angles for the 30-06 cartridge.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CWT
I bet those 130 grain NBT's or SGK 's .277 bullets can't kill a small white tail doe.

They may kill a small doe, but no way they'd work on a big buck. Not enough sectional density. Especially for the all-important "raking shot."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
mathman,

I've asked the same basic question a number of times, and have yet to get an answer. But in the interests of objectivity, will ask a few more:

Do pro-Creedmoorites knock on your door and demand you turn over your .257 Roberts, .270 or even your 6.5x55? So far none have in my neighborhood, the reason I still have my .270, plus a pair of .257's and another pair of 6.5x55's.

Do pro-Creedmoorites gather in public places, demonstrating for the confiscation of rifles chambered for such "antique" cartridges? Do the more generous pro-Creedmoorites lobby for "buy-back" programs for those hunters unfortunate enough to be burdened with such old and inadequate rounds?

Do anti-Creedmoorites go to the local range and get mobbed by 6.5 Creedmoor shooters, who refuse to let them use the range until they at least pull the trigger on one Creedmoor round?

Perhaps my simple mind isn't up to imagining what that anti-Creedmoorites constantly encounter in our increasingly contentious society. But I am certainly open to hearing about any obvious cases of abuse from pro-Creedmoorites, and would gladly publish an article in RIFLE LOONY NEWS exposing such anti-American horrors.

Rather than any of those scenarios, I would liken the actions of the pro-Creedmoorites (love that) more to those of the person who has recently stopped smoking and is on a crusade to approach everyone he meets and proclaim the gospel to them, as often as it takes for them to get it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
6.5X55....... I glommed onto one of the very first Winchester XTR M70 Featherweights that were chambered for the round, back in '85 or '86, I don't remember.

uhhh, something like mine ?

[Linked Image]

Does this count ?

I got it in Dec, 2011 and killed my first deer with it the FIRST day I took it hunting in 2012.

EDIT to ADD >>> This Guy:

[Linked Image]

Since then @ 5 others. It does NOT have an excessively long throat. It's easy to load ammo for it. This is my 2nd Win 70 FTWT and LOVE the rifle.

It has a Swift 3-9X40 scope and it took longer to get the velocity UP to my specs than ANY 270 W I've ever had.

If that 6.5X55 wasn't in THAT rifle...... it'd be gone. For now, it's not for sale.

Jerry

Yep, sort of. Mine was one of the early ones, an overrun leftover from a batch Winchester made for Scandinavian export, several long years before they intro'ed it as a regular offering on the domestic market. The main difference was the early ones had iron sights and a really long throat. I loaded 129 Interlocks out to max magazine length and still had a significant jump to get into the leade of the rifling. Surprisingly it shot them into an honest MOA or less nonetheless. I installed a Lyman 48 receiver sight (it was d/t'ed for it so why not), and mounted a Leupold 1.5-5 in a QD mount for backup. That gun is one of about five in my life I sold and would like back. It went to help finance the purchase of 36 acres of Pennsylvania forest complete with deer and trout stream.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This thread cracks me up and I hope it goes on and on and on. My favorite story CM boiled down is that a hunting buddy actually tried to convince me that his 6.5CM was superior to my .264WM because his bullet was 6.5mm. I told him that I had a hard time understanding that because my bullet was starting out at 3250 and his was starting at 2700. He said they told him at the gunshop that his would catch up to mine at longer ranges. I told him I didn't think it would.

I look at the 6.5 the same way I looked at the WSM's almost 20 years ago. The phenomenon causes people who own perfectly good rifles that I actually want, to go and trade their rifles in on rifles I have no use for, like WSM and CM's. I see it as a win for me. I just tune out their nonsense. I wish people were more knowledgeable about chamberings and ballistics but I guess I should just be happy that they shoot and hunt and don't play video games or wait in the mall for their wives.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Page 15 of 27 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,410
Posts18,489,010
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.