Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Yeah. Just ask the guys here that know me. A wannabe. laugh

You are the one that's sad though. And please quit paying so much attention to my jeans... That's kinda homo-like. Even for you.

You're the guy that is always thinking and bringing up the homo stuff. 'nuf said there.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
JaxonBilt hats our of utah

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Their slogan is perfect for rockinbar and many more here, like yourself:
"Jaxonbilt Custom Hats Where "Image is Everything!""

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All my hats are some kind of x, mostly rabbit that once knew a beaver. Have been shaped to the style I wanted by "professional s". To do a complete shape on felt you should have a last - something that keeps it the size of your gord. I'd find a hat store that has the equipment and get what I want.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Usually wear a Resistol or a Seratelli.

Never could afford a Stetson.

Always felt.

Grandpa used to say to never hire a man who smokes and wears a straw hat.

If he aint rolling a cigarette he is chasing that damn hat.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Little girl,... Go away.

Nobody pulled your string.

The grownups are trying to talk.

Why do you go fuuk up every thread that you get in?

Damn troll.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Good luck wannabe. As grownups go, you will never get there. Trust me on that.

Just keepin' you honest (not that that is really possible, but someone has to try).

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Rarely a day goes by that I don't wear a hat....95 % of the time it's a felt summer or winter. I have a palm leaf that covers the 5% for the very hottest days (and it has to be hot). Have the felts made by Husky Hat of Wichita Falls TX. Lady by the name of Stanlee does a hell of a job and has for more than a few decades. If she can't get the crease right I'll dunk it in the horse trough and wear it til it's right. Can't beat that deal.....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Always felt.

Yeah I can screw my felt on tight enough it won't blow off but a straw needs a stampede string....Every now and then I might get a felt bucked off but never blown off....grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by okie
If she can't get the crease right I'll dunk it in the horse trough and wear it til it's right. Can't beat that deal.....

Sounds counterproductive. Why wouldn't she get it right if she's a custom hat maker?

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Reloder28
If she can't get the crease right I'll dunk it in the horse trough and wear it til it's right. Can't beat that deal.....

Sounds counterproductive. Why wouldn't she get it right if she's a custom hat maker?

Too far to drive to town. A horse trough is always closer for fine adjustments.... grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Always felt.

My old man added cowboy boots to that list......said you can't get close enough to the work to get anything done in cowboy boots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wear a Dorfman waxed cotton in the winter and a Stetson Palm Straw in the summer.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Appreciated a couple of Stetson's in my time. Currently wear a Diamond Jim 5X.

Will have a full custom made next year from www.texashatters.com

I have one full custom from them, had another which got stolen. But about three years ago I got a Stetson re-done by Manny at Texas Hatters and it took over a year and a half to finish. Granted they got flooded during this time but just warning you not to get into a hurry. They make a hybrid hat with a straw crown and felt brim which is the best of both worlds and pretty practical as you can put a rain cover on it and wear it year around. My Akubra hat is practically as old as I am and has held up well but I still think Beaver, Nutria or Muskrat fur is superior to rabbit but this may be one of those opinions based on preference rather than fact. I have had good luck finding used hats like 10x or better Stetsons for around $10 and then I get it molded and fitted to my own style. For about $100-150 you have the equivalent of a $300-400 hat and it hurts less if they get stolen or lost too.

This guy is good and has a lot faster turn around time than Texas Hatters usually while you wait for a cleaning and re-shaping. http://www.visitblancotexas.com/shopping/herbs-hat-shop/

Friends own this company: https://www.tulahats.com/ and they are great palm straw hats if you like their styles. They are more like gardening and fishing hats but are ideal for summertime wear. If they get too out of shape I just mist them and iron them and am back to almost new looking. They sell seconds sometimes that are good as a throw down hat.

So like my answer for guns get one of each and then maybe add a hybrid felt/straw. You can't have too many hats in my opinion.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There have been Resistol, Stetson, Mahan , etc. in my past but these days I favor Akubra.

I've been real happy with my Akubra Riverine (original version). Actually have an unworn spare on a closet shelf. laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-=[Bob]=-
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I wear a Dorfman waxed cotton in the winter and a Stetson Palm Straw in the summer.

[Linked Image]

Dorfman made some real good hats when they were still manufacturing under their own label. I have a Dorfman felt fedora from the 1980's that I still wear in the winter.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rarely a day goes by that I don't wear a hat....95 % of the time it's a felt summer or winter. I have a palm leaf that covers the 5% for the very hottest days (and it has to be hot). Have the felts made by Husky Hat of Wichita Falls TX. Lady by the name of Stanlee does a hell of a job and has for more than a few decades. If she can't get the crease right I'll dunk it in the horse trough and wear it til it's right. Can't beat that deal.....

That would be Mz Stanley Rater....she has cleaned my Resistols for forty years and I have the third one she ever made once she went into the hat making business. It still looks as good as when newly made several years ago. As far as not getting the crease right, I never had that problem with her. Maybe you’re talking about a straw?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I'll crease them myself. Hat creasing is becoming a lost art, as most hats now are pre-shaped.

I remember when they used to come uncreased, both straw and felt.

I've creased hats for many people. The crease sets you aside from everyone else.

You can tell who is a "real cowboy" at a glance by how a man creases his hat. wink

I can remember WAY back in the 1960's my "uncle" Bill used to get Bailey's "Roll Your Own" straw hats so he could get them how he liked them. Anyone know if Bailey's is still in business?

No custom mades in the cowboy hat dept here. Except perhaps one might call the $50 (2013 price) off the rack, Stetson felt crushable that I just stretched to fit my noggin. Wife asked if my head has gotten too big. I had to explain that it's an inexpensive version, doesn't even come in 1/8 sizes, just small, medium, and large. The medium has always been a tight fit so I ordered a stretcher, put the hat over the tea kettle for a bit and have it just about right now.

Retirement and certain priorities will likely preclude a true custom hat ever gracing my hat rack. frown

Geno

PS, probably never see a custom pair of boots either, except for my handmade (by me) Apache "boots" I learned to make from an old auntie on the Fort Apache Rez. She didn't call them moccasins. Took her mom's from the late 1800's apart to learn how to make them as the art had mostly been lost.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Geno!! Glad to see you posting!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Close but no cigar - Jaxonbilt is out of Salmon, Idaho. He makes a good hat at a fairly reasonable price.

I am not a fan of straw hats they make my head hotter than wearing a felt, although I did buy an Atwood Old-Timer last year and it has enough venting in the crown that you can feel the air moving through it when the wind blows, and it is also a looser woven hat than most of the straws. Many of the straws are so tightly woven and treated that they are almost a plastic hat.

My off the shelf hats are both an older Resistol and a Stetson, for custom mades I have a Kirkpatrick (Wisdom, MT), I think they are out of business now, a Jaxonbilt (Salmon, Idaho), and a Rand's (Billings, MT). The Rands is the oldest by far it is about 25 years old and has a lot of miles under it but it is still holding up and still looks good.

I was in Billings about 4 years ago and stopped in Rand's to buy another hat but the prices had increased so much that I couldn't justify it. Given the price of the hat and my age it just didn't pencil out favorably, so I decided to spend the $600 on shooting related items instead.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (222Sako, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 22magnut, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 13,932 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,133
Posts18,542,421
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.