Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
But then a lot of cartridge choice isn't based on actual reality, but emotion. To a certain extent I' m afflicted with the same syndrome, but try to retain enough semblance of objectivity--which may somewhat diminish my reputation as a rifle loony.
Oh say it ain't so! cry

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The Austrian ammo he used kept splitting its cases, so he returned to his 7x57.

IIRC the ammo Bell obtained for his 7x57 was made by Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken (DWM) and he thought the world of that company. The powder tolerated a hot climate well - the brass was top quality - and the round nose solid bullets were sturdy and gave consistent performance.

I don't recall him saying whether DWM-manufactured 6.5x54 was available to him.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I don't either--but appatrently he wasn't willing to risk paying for a bunch of ammo being shipped to Africa (the only way to make it economically feasible for a professional hunter) when he KNEW the 7x57 ammo worked.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mike_S
John wasn’t the bigger issue with the 94 or 96 actions the ability to handle gas in the event of a pierced primer?

Mine has a Wisner (now LaPour I believe) 3 position M70 style safety with a proper shroud also converted to cock on opening by Jim.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sounds very sound. (Have seen you photos of the rifle, and it also looks great!)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep, short action and consistent chamber-throat lengths.

Have yet to understand why any cartridge thread on the Campfire results in such adamant anti-opinions of various cartridges. I have hunted with and own custom rifles in both 7x57 and 7mm-08. But then a lot of cartridge choice isn't based on actual reality, but emotion. To a certain extent I' m afflicted with the same syndrome, but try to retain enough semblance of objectivity--which may somewhat diminish my reputation as a rifle loony.

laugh

Ya gotta be careful.. cool.

DF

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Slope77
Short action?

Actually, one of mine is - although technically it is more properly a medium action: MRC M1999.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by ingwe
Mike...bottom line, there is no conundrum. As long as there are 7x57s in the world, why would anyone shoot a 7-08? grin

Exactly!

+2

You guys really don't want an answer.
While I agree with mathman's comment, I also understand the lure of nostalgia and the 7 X 57 has a lot of lure. In a modern day M-70 the 7 X 57 is a truly excellent offering......but after owning a VZ-24 in 7 X 57 I discovered that the standardization of the cartridge isn't as precise as I could be. It can be remedied but one shouldn't have to do that.....even nostalgia has it limits!

At this point I don't even remember what the question was...and I started the bloomin' thread! I think it had to do with using 7-08 data in a 7x57 case.

In all seriousness, though, I wonder why manufacturers don't just determine an industry standard throat length, since that seems to be the major variable with this cartridge, and be done with it. It wouldn't solve issues with older rifles, but it would going forward, even if production is normally very limited. Ironically, I was reading on another site the other day where guys were taking short throated 7x57s and having them lengthened in order to better handle 175-grain bullets seated out a little farther. That caught me by surprise.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mike,

Standardization is what SAAMI chamber specs are all all about.

But following SAAMI specs is voluntary, even among SAAMI members, and would not solve the problem of the vast numbers of already existing 7x57's.

All of which is one reason the 7mm-08 appeared.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
You guys really don't want an answer.

Now, now; I never ask if I don't want an answer. Ingwe just raised the existential and rhetorical question, that's all. grin

Similar to Ice in whiskey vs. No Ice...Beans in Chili vs no beans.. ( That last one is too easy to answer though...)

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Have yet to understand why any cartridge thread on the Campfire results in such adamant anti-opinions of various cartridges.

I don't know if folks are serious about that or just messing around. The Boddington thread became all about the 6.5CM, pro and con, and I woke up this morning to 50+ emails from just that thread alone. Frankly I think a lot of it is just friendly banter - sort of like folks do with dog breeds: "My redbone is a lot better coon dog than your bluetick" (yeah, I'm from the South; y'all can translate it into bear or cougar dog if you want).

My initial attraction to the 7x57 is purely nostalgic: not from the writings of Bell or Corbett or O'Connor, but from my Uncle Lewis who built a couple of 8x57 and 7x57 sporters out of military M98 actions. After briefly toying with a .260, I picked up my first 7x57 and have stuck with the cartridge for primarily that reason. I'm also into simplicity since my feeble brain is easily confused, and figure that having seven 7x57s (my wife says, "One for every day of the week") gives me a little variety, but also minimizes the need for a variety of reloading equipment, not to mention keeping the mixing up of components a lot less likely. If I started over I don't know if I'd change anything, although reloading for a 7-08 or .280 might make life even easier...albeit with a bit less panache. wink

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I use the 250 Savage because I like it. That's all the reason I need. Acknowledging the fact that the 6.5 Creedmoor is a better mousetrap in several ways doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the 250 one little bit. The inability of some to separate emotional attachment from logic in these conversations is what I find interesting.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Have yet to understand why any cartridge thread on the Campfire results in such adamant anti-opinions of various cartridges.

My initial attraction to the 7x57 is purely nostalgic: not from the writings of Bell or Corbett or O'Connor, but from my Uncle Lewis who built a couple of 8x57 and 7x57 sporters out of military M98 actions. After briefly toying with a .260, I picked up my first 7x57 and have stuck with the cartridge for primarily that reason. I'm also into simplicity since my feeble brain is easily confused, and figure that having seven 7x57s (my wife says, "One for every day of the week") gives me a little variety, but also minimizes the need for a variety of reloading equipment, not to mention keeping the mixing up of components a lot less likely. If I started over I don't know if I'd change anything, although reloading for a 7-08 or .280 might make life even easier...albeit with a bit less panache. wink

You may be onto something there, Rev.

The old 7x57 sure has the panache and history to make it a true classic. And, it is a great round.

But, strictly from a ballistic point of view, cartridge efficiency, uniform chamberings, etc. etc. the 7-08 advocates make a compelling argument.

I've had both, still have the 7-08. To me, a lot depends on the individual rifle. Never had a .280, although it's a good one.

DF

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’ve got both. A 7x57 on a G33/40 action built by Roger and Al Biesen (one of the last rifles that Al actually had a hand in), and a 7-08 NULA. I’ll be enjoying and keeping both.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I use the 250 Savage because I like it. That's all the reason I need. Acknowledging the fact that the 6.5 Creedmoor is a better mousetrap in several ways doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the 250 one little bit. The inability of some to separate emotional attachment from logic in these conversations is what I find interesting.

Sentimentality is probably stronger than most of us admit.

I have no reason not to buy .308 Win rifles, & download them a hair to fit my sweet spot for muzzle blast & recoil. I just think it's cool that the .300 Savage had it figured out nearly a century ago. grin

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I love my 700 Classic in 300 Savage for similar reasons.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

Sentimentality is probably stronger than most of us admit.

I have no reason not to buy .308 Win rifles, & download them a hair to fit my sweet spot for muzzle blast & recoil. I just think it's cool that the .300 Savage had it figured out nearly a century ago. grin

FC

Sentimentality is a strong force in the life of Loonies, for sure.

Just can’t go too crazy chasing logic.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finally got the notice that I could download the new issue. Good piece, as expected, with the cursory, obligatory references to Bell, Corbett, and Old Jack, followed by good solid info and narratives about JB's experience with the "old warhorse" (an obligatory appellation, I believe).

Haven't owned one in decades; probably won't again, unless a nice old Mauser or other irresistible piece comes my way. A 7-08 would be my current choice in that niche, but with a bunch of .277 bullets on hand, and a rifle that eats them, it's a longshot. Looking, so far anyway, remains free.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
While sentimentality may be part of the reason, there is another reason: I got what I need.

Hmmm, but no looney would ever say something like that.

Looneys have LD deer rifles, medium distance deer rifles and up close deer rifles - both rimmed and rimless. Similarly, they have several rifles for each animal that they hunt - even hardware for animals that they intend to, but have never hunted.

And different bullets (I hope) for different species and ranges of encounter.

And powders for different seasons, altitudes and humidities.

It goes without saying that different powders will mean different primers. And possibly different cases.

Cases made by different manufacturers, or by the same manufacturer, but a different lot, may have small differences in internal volume. Did using that case with 0.3 grain less water weight cause you to lose an animal? No doubt. Any velocity loss is not acceptable.

If it gets to be too much, give up your 7x57 and use a 303. Problem solved. The 303 has a solid reputation with animals from Aiwhas to Zakkegs, and everything in between. (Thanks Star Wars)

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Rev M

I’ve not owned nor used either 7x57 or 7-08.
Now I have 2nd hand experience with a 7-08 a hunting pard liked/used to collect WT.

IN a “modern” Rifle it’s tit for tat AFAIC.

Yet I’d choose the 7x57 for magazine / seating flexibility.

Everyone will not agree but it’s MY choice.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 68 invisible), 3,261 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,380
Posts18,469,532
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.