Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Quit shooting most RH rifles when I had a piece of primer on a 6 mm Remington factory round, almost go through my right eye.
Ruger 77 tang safety rifle. Shooting LH, stupidly took off my glasses because I was going from hand loads to factory rounds.

But still don,t care to shoot most RH rifles LH.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, factory ammo isn't foolproof!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd love to see a column on the strength and gas handling of the No. 1. I've always known they are crazy strong but didn't know about gas, then last year I blew a primer on my 7mm-08. No gas in the face, no problems extracting, just no primer in the case; guess it passes the test.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
jmd025,

One of the most interesting bolt-action "blow-ups" I've heard about occurred with a Mark V. I didn't personally witness it, but heard about it during the year I lived in Lander, Wyoming (home of the well-known One-Shot Antelope Hunt) in the 1970's.

One of the members of the Wyoming team that year was a well-known Wyoming politician who wasn't a very sophisticated rifleman. He was shooting a Weatherby Mark V, apparently borrowed, chambered in .270 Weatherby Magnum--but somehow ended up with .270 Winchester ammo. During sight-in the first .270 Winchester round fired, and of course split wide-open. The Mark V is pretty good at gas-control, however, and while gas got inside the bolt body, it was diverted into the magazine by the three ports on the underside of the bolt. The floorplate blew open, and there was some splintering of the stock as well, but the shooter was pretty much unscathed.

Probably should also note that Otteson gives the Mark V a very high rating in gas-handling, and explains why in detail.

John,
We happened upon a similar even where some teenagers were shooting dads Mark V 7mm Weatherby and fired (once) a 7mm Express Rem round in it. The kid was panicked because he got a face full of gas and powder residue including both eyes. We washed his eyes out and sent him to the clinic in town. It blew out the floor plate and splintered the stock. The case was stuck in the chamber.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
WAM,

That sounds almost exactly like the .270 Weatherby/Winchester incident was described to me! Interesting....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
John,
The Mark V stock was splintered by the floor plate and the bottom metal was in several pieces on the ground. The bolt held just fine but I guess there was a bit of gas that escaped. I only inspected the rifle long enough to make sure it was safe as the kids were somewhat panicked at the incident. I clearly saw the 7mm Express Remington headstamp on the nickle plated case. I did not try to remove it to see where it ruptured. I’ll bet someone’s britches got warmed up when Dad got home. Steve

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yet another reason Remington discontinued the "7mm Express" experiment!

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Excellent discussion here. Thanks for the stories you all shared. There are many, many more out there. Guys not so lucky as you. As we get older, you begin to ponder more thoroughly: what if a defective brass case ruptures when I fire my rifle in the middle of nowhere?

Nothing much past 50,000-55,000 psi hand loads is ever needed. I wish more younger hand loaders would throttle down their load development.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I shoot Kimber 84m rifles, and have often wondered how they would handle a case failure. I'm one eyed, so it is a real concern. I always wear my glasses, since like MD, I can't see to shoot without them, and they are polycarbonate and I make sure to get frames with large lenses for additional protection. But I would ask if anyone out there has actually experienced a case failure with a Kimber who could cite empirical evidence regarding the Kimber's ability to divert gas away from the shooter's eye? Great article on a topic with which I am very interested !

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 160user, 2500HD, 55 invisible), 2,181 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,396
Posts18,506,897
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.