Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I once shipped a pogo stick in a heavy plywood lined box from a UPS hub...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
vapodog,

Interesting that your local post office won't "accept" packages that are obviously firearms. It's probably a good idea, but not on their part--unless they claim there are too many confusing markings on the box, which would be a stretch.

About 5 years ago our local post office got a new postmistress. The first couple of times I mailed a long gun (she would have no clue if I mailed handgun, legal for me since I have an FFL) she asked is it was "broke down," apparently meaning if the bolt was removed, or a shotgun taken apart.. I eventually had to straighten her out, since the only legal requirement is a firearm can't be loaded. She got a little huffy, but checked the USPS regs and discovered I was right. Since then we have had no problems.

Some USPS employees don't know the regulations. Others do. As with all bureaucrats, it helps to have the paperwork printed out so they can (hopefully) comprehend what they should already know.
John,
Thanks for the clarificaton.....However I'm a lucky man as I have a great deal of 3-M tape and I use it to entirely wrap the package of any firearm I mail. It's now simply a SOP of my shipping.and the gal at the local post office and I have an unstated agreement.....she never asks if it's a firearm and I never tell her it is.....Your comment about being a good idas is spot on....it potentially defers some inside employee theft, so even if it isn't a postal regulation, at least for me it's a cheap way to placate the (fairly attractive) lady at the local post office.....one must learn to pick his battles....it's easy to let her win this one!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
All good points--except I often grow weary of people who don't know what the hell they're doing. If they're somebody I have to deal with consistently, then I eventually become insistent.

In this instance, the postmistress is around 5-3 and 275. She's also been working for the USPS so long she doesn't care--unless somebody insists. I keep expecting her to retire any day. Luckily the other two people are better....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You'd have the perpetual redasss too if you looked like that.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
You'd have the perpetual redasss too if you looked like that.

Good point.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
If they ask, I tell them it’s collectible baseball bats.

S
S
Priority Mail is wonderful. The carrier picks it up at my house. The whining here is a good laugh.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve had not one single problem with USPS priority as far as time.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had my negative USPS rant earlier in this thread, I had an overachiever experience with them this week.
I put my house payment in the mail at the Provo, Ut. post office Monday morning about 9:00 am, payment was going to Chicago, ILL.
payment cleared my bank Tuesday at 4:00pm.........I don't know how this is even possible !!!!!!!!!!!! I can give an employee a paycheck they take straight to the bank and it wont clear that fast let alone First Class mail

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My USPS problem. Mailed a Priority small box to Cedar Park, Texas from Quinlan, Texas the first day of May. It was a 2 day deal. It arrived yesterday.
I ship a lot and 99% of my shipping with USPS is very good.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I put two books in the mail at the same time - one going to Hawaii and the other to a PO about 45 miles away by MapQuest. They were sent by Media mail, and both were received the same day! My best guess is that the one to Hawaii caught a plane early in the process while the other one was being ground transferred through its route.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Otis
No I didn't, but email said surely it can't two weeks, but it did to the day! All I'm saying is give consideration to your customers and don't be cheap!

I made a deal recently with a 24 CF member for an agreed price of $50 shipped. Paid with PayPal & the deal was sealed. He shipped USPS on 4/20. The package arrived 5/10. In the meantime I got frustrated & demanded my funds be returned. The seller promptly did so & told me to keep the item if it ever did show. 2 days later it did. That is when I discovered it was shipped USPS Ground for $17.32. I repaid him for the item as well as his shipping cost. No telling what the cost would have been were it shipped faster.

When I am paying for a shipped package I expect the seller to spend as if he were covering shipping. A family member once had a gun shipped to him overnight at the sellers cost of $192 & was expected to cover it.

Giving consideration to your customer is a balancing act at times between prompt delivery & cost..

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (219 Wasp, 22kHornet, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 46 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,763
Posts18,515,266
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.