Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I spoke to one of our European members yesterday, who had much praise for the clarity, color, and accurate adjustments on the several 30mm-tubed Burris scopes he’d worked with on that side o’ the pond.

I’m eager to play with this one. It might be a right nice setup for hogs.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gerry35
You guys in the U.S. have no idea how good you actually have things. I wish we could order stuff like this at those prices here. That scope would fit well on a couple of my rigs.

The response to this sale has been overwhelming. Glad to be able to bring this scope to you all at this price. Thanks for all the orders, keep'em coming smile

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Where is this scope made?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99shooter

Philipines

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Ordered one. My son thinks he wants one for his AR.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ordered one this morning for a Win. Mod. 70 in 222 rem. It should make a great coyote calling scope. The 1.5-6x40 something is my favorite hunting scope. I have them on various rifles. I have a Burris Sig. Select, Sightron II, Alpen Optics, and Bausch & Lomb all in 1.5-6x40 The Alpen optics is a 30mm tube with a Ger.#4 w/ill. dot just like the Burris combing my way.

I do like 1-4x20mm scopes on my combo guns.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have my doubts that that picture is the correct one either. For a 42mm objective the objective Bell would be like 45mm? That would be just 15mm larger than the tube of 30mm. The second photo shown looks out of proportion like maybe a 1” tube? I’ll know for sure when mine arrives tomorrow!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by WAM
I have my doubts that that picture is the correct one either. For a 42mm objective the objective Bell would be like 45mm? That would be just 15mm larger than the tube of 30mm. The second photo shown looks out of proportion like maybe a 1” tube? I’ll know for sure when mine arrives tomorrow!

Could you weigh it when it arrives? Seeing different numbers out there.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by WAM

I just put it on the scale, with the flip caps, it weighs 20 ounces

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks

IC B3

J
J
Mine just came today, sure glad that Doug got these in. I am in the Southwestern Michigan deer zone and this scope will be a great fit for the type of hunting around here.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by 99shooter

Philipines

Confirmed.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by prm

I just put it on the scale, with the flip caps, it weighs 20 ounces

Confirmed.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by WAM

Tube (not pictured) was 30.05 mm. Here's the objective, inside + out:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Impressions after having it out of the box for 33 minutes:

1. I wasn't expecting flip-up caps. Nice bonus.
2. It's not as "subjectively" heavy as I was anticipating. It's solid, though.
3. There's significant tunnel vision below about 2.5x
4. The reticle is really nice. Crisp, bold, smallish dot (so nearly as I can tell by looking across the street).
5. Illumination settings seem very useable. #10 setting is easily visible on this overcast day, but it might be drowned out on a very bright day. #1 seems faint enough to work well in fading light.
6. Tube length may present mounting challenges. I won't know for sure 'til I can play with it a bit on a rifle.
7. Eye relief is more than adequate, but not quite, "generous"
8. Power ring is stiff, but smooth

I can't comment on glass/view quality since I've not had it outside, & the light's crappy today, anyway. I'll post more on that once I get some experience with it.

FC

- Mrs. FC
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the break down. I was thinking of ordering one for the slug gun.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Wunderbar!

I didn’t get mine today because our gate was closed and I’m off turkey hunting. Great looking scope. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Hmm , wonder how one of these would look on a Steyr Pro Hunter

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looks like I’ll be ordering this week. I’ve went back and forth on this and the Meopta Artemis but all in all I like the #4 illumination.

Last edited by br459; 05/05/19.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We shipped LOTS of these out, who's got some reviews to post?

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
We shipped LOTS of these out, who's got some reviews to post?

Range day is tomorrow. I'll sight it in, twist the knobs, & post some pics.

In the meantime, I got it mounted. This is about the only setup I could do without a trip to the store, & it's hardly ideal: Weaver Grand Slam (High) steel rings, in the base that came on the 788 when Dad bought it for me in the early 80's.

[Linked Image]

I can't slide it any further back, so I gotta crawl the stock:

[Linked Image]

The following pictures were taken with the rifle (bolt removed) in a rest, aimed at a post in a standard-dimension split rail fence. The iPhone was held in a Carson phone bracket hooked to the lens cap. The colors in the picture aren't even close to how well they pop in real life, and the tunnel vision at 6x is a function of the Carson bracket holding the phone too far from the lens, and my sucking at figuring out how to use said bracket. When using the scope at 6x, there's scarcely any tunnel vision. Disclaimers done - let's continue.

Here's the reticle at lower X (probably 2.XXX), black, then with the dot set on #10 setting. Somewhere around 35 yards:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This time I cranked 'er up to 6, & took the same photos:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I stand by the observations from Friday afternoon. Now that it's on the rifle (but not yet shot), I'll add:

1. I still LOVE the reticle. The dot was small enough to hold clearly between a squirrel's eyes at 40 yards. Nice & crisp.
2. From viewing around the neighborhood, the glass is very good: nice colors, contrast, flat & clear to the edges.
3. The weight is noticeable. I've had a 2-7x32 Viper on this rifle for many years, & it's immediately obvious when I pick it up now that it's heavier.
4. Eye position isn't exactly critical, but correct position will matter, especially above about 5x. I'm sure the only reason I noticed is how ridiculously high & far forward I was forced to mount it.
5. Regardless of the crappy base I had to use, there's not a whole ton of tube length for mounting.

I've loaded some 120 NBT's (this rifle's favorite fodder) for the range tomorrow. If it tracks decently, I'm thinking this scope will be mated to a 722 in .300 Savage as a dedicated hog setup. That rifle currently wears a 4x32 Conquest, and I'll attempt to get some pre-dawn comparisons between the 2 scopes, as well as checking them out at the range mid-day.

FC

- Mrs. FC
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Between a bold reticle and illuminated dot that ought to be a good scope for the woods.

How are the dials? Crisp clicks, and once possible, any insight on accuracy of dialing?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Some early morning observations.

The Weather Channel app claims sunrise was at 0631 EDT here. I was scanning around the back yard in the twilight, comparing the 1.5-6 Burris against a 4x32 Conquest with Z-plex reticle (on the rifle the Burris might be migrating to), and a 2-7x32 Viper with duplex reticle (handheld, from the rifle that the Burris is now atop). I'm not saying the scopes should be compared against one another, merely that they were at-hand at the moment, and I have hunted hogs with all of them.

The back yard is open, with honeysuckles backed up against the split rail fence in the back. The East side is open (split rail fence between me & the neighbor's equally open yard), and the west side has a 6' wooden privacy fence. I suppose one could compare the yard to a clearing in the woods, but it's a pretty clear clearing.

5:15 am

Already some ambient neighborhood light, and the first purple tinges of daybreak. The Conquest & Viper show blurs in the open, and not much against the dark honeysuckles. I can kind of make out the rails in the fence. The posts of the Burris reticle are visible, but not sharp. More contrast is visible in the open areas than with the other 2 scopes. With the reticle lit on #1 setting, lots of things quickly come into focus. I can make out more details, and the dot is clear & sharp. If a critter wasn't black, I could make a clean shot at the 35-ish yards presented here. I tried the #10 setting, and my vision was immediately thrown-off: it's way too bright for this hour. For curiosity's sake, I looked backward from the barrel through the objective at the #10 setting, and saw much bleed-through from the dot. I guess one shouldn't hunt tactical deer with it, at least not with the dot's light set that high. Overall, it feels like the unlit Burris is noticeably, if not significantly, brighter than the other 2.

5:40 am

Much more light now. Our street slopes downward to the East, so it's almost like a funnel that shovels light from all the neighbors' open yards up into ours. I can make out many more details of the grass, trees, & fence with all 3 scopes, but the reticles on the Viper & Conquest still aren't useable. The posts of the Burris reticle are far sharper than the others, even unlit: however, the inner crosshairs still aren't visible. When lit, it's good to go. At this point, the Viper appears to be the brightest of the 3, though the least sharp. The Burris is showing better colors.

6:04 am

It's bright enough to shoot with all 3 scopes now. The Burris is now the brightest & sharpest of the 3. Surprisingly nice color, even compared to the Conquest. I'm now able to make out the inner crosshairs & unlit dot on the Burris.

6:32 am

All 3 scopes are good to go. Burris still has the best color, while the Conquest and Viper are equally bright, and the Conquest is nearly as sharp as the Burris.

Summary:

What's this prove, aside from that I have no idea what the hell I'm doing? I tried to look through all of them the same way that I hunt: I listen, then glass anything that sounds "quarry-ish", then put the scope on it if the glassing shows it's game I'm after. In this instance, the Burris would have allowed me to shoot way before the others.

"What about at 100 or 200 yards this morning?" Dunno.

"What about in a tiny clearing in the middle of a dense forest?" Dunno, though I expect I'd have had to wait longer to see well enough for the shot.

"Is it fair to compare a German #4 (even unlit) against a standard duplex (Viper) and heavy-ish (Conquest) in low light?" Probably not. Then again, I've never owned a scope with a German #4 duplex, nor an illuminated scope, so y'all get to watch me as I learn.

"What happens in daylight, at longer ranges"? I'll tell ya this afternoon.

FWIW, the 2-7 Viper & 4x32 Conquest are some of my favorite scopes: I have multiple rifles adorned with each. I thought the Viper was competitive at $259, and a steal when they were $199. The Conquest Z-plex was about my favorite reticle, and they were well worth the $300 I gave for them. While there are aspects of this Burris that I don't care for, it appears to hold its own optically with some scopes I really value.

The range opens at 10:00 today... wink

FC

- Mrs. FC
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 25 invisible), 1,730 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,368
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.