Good weekend !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Never seen pizza like that before Paul. Looks delicious!

Trout and turkey camp this week. Heading up Weds. It's been a long winter since deer camp.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks CFT !

Super easy, see below.

Make crust/s in morning, dress 'em up for dinner.

Recipe: https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/steakhouse-pizza/

Crust Recipe: https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/pizza-ree-a/

Good luck with the thunder chickens n trout.

[Linked Image]

https://www.chatelaine.com/recipe/stovetop-cooking-method/rainbow-trout-with-garlic-dill-sauce/

Paul.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Good luck up there CFT!

Paul, that pizza looks good! We've done a few in the smoker before and they were great!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Happy Birthday Rooster !

Hope ya have a great day.

You can have Dave's drink too !

wink

Paul.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Happy Birthday Rooster !

Hope ya have a great day.

You can have Dave's drink too !

wink

A belated thanks, Paul!

It was a good day.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
All good Rooster !!

Glad you had a great day.

Paul.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best of luck to any of our Minnesota members getting ready for the walleye opener next weekend. The boat hasn't been out of the garage yet this spring, as I work on getting it ready. Did some flooring work on it this week. I'll be replacing some of the subfloor insulation as the little bastard vermin chewed some up over the winter. Picked up a new pair of batteries for it yesterday. I've got to reset the floor sections, replace the bilge pump, check out the livewell, and she should be pretty much ready to go. Everyone be safe out there. The water's cold yet, so please stay in those life jackets guys. Take a kid fishing if the chance is there.

Set the hook, men!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
K
K
Dave
Thanks for a meaningful post, not only about the great physical work you're putting into the camp but the work you're doing to help your friend's son out. Something I'm sure was hard to write about, but also something that boy will never forget.

As a tip, and apologies if this has been suggested a zillion times before, but like you, I've done a lot of building and site clearing to build camps, and a tool that has made all the difference for me is a cordless chainsaw. Sure you've got to have electricity somewhere-or just use your generator - to charge the batteries, but Man these things are so dependable, and always seem to start in the bush.
sorry to rant, just came back from brush cutting for new blind and sorta sold on it.

Here's an example/resource for what i'm talking (ranting) about here.
Electric Chainsaws

Anyway, congrats on your deer camp accomplishments, and keep up all the Good Work!

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
My Dad is in his late 80's but still active. He bought a battery operated chain saw and says it works great for smaller brush trimming and not nearly as heavy as a regular chain saw. He hates batteries in general but has not complained yet about battery life. I will have to borrow it the next time I do some blind work

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Things have been pretty quiet here lately, any interest on this hunt/fish cabin project from a few years ago ?

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I bought a Stihl 025 about 12-15 years ago. I wanted a lightweight saw for brushing out shooting lanes and cutting up stuff in the yard. It's cut waaaaaay more than it should I know that. I don't think I could dump it for an electric. But, I'd consider one if I didn't have it.

I do find myself wanting a "real" saw more often now though.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I don't doubt the usefulness and effectiveness of a modern electric saw for small jobs. My personal collection of Milwaukee M18 and M12 cordless power tools is at around 10 different tools, mostly mechanical and construction stuff but I do have a weed whacker and a leaf blower too. lol

The stuff works amazingly well. I'll likely add a new circular saw and a portaband this year yet. My old dewalt circular saw is on it's last leg, as it should be for it's age (prob 18 yrs old).

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Northern_Jim
Things have been pretty quiet here lately, any interest on this hunt/fish cabin project from a few years ago ?

[Linked Image]

You have a few issues up there. laugh

Of course we have interest...Spill it!! grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I don't doubt the usefulness and effectiveness of a modern electric saw for small jobs. My personal collection of Milwaukee M18 and M12 cordless power tools is at around 10 different tools, mostly mechanical and construction stuff but I do have a weed whacker and a leaf blower too. lol

The stuff works amazingly well. I'll likely add a new circular saw and a portaband this year yet. My old dewalt circular saw is on it's last leg, as it should be for it's age (prob 18 yrs old).

I have a 18v circular saw. I'm not real impressed. It's OK. It's nothing close to the real deal corded saw tho. My old Craftsman corded circular saw bit the dust last summer. I picked up a Makita 15a 7 1/4" and it's like a knife through butter on plywood.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Those brushless battery powered tools are the bomb. More work with less battery. Newer technology. Lots of power with the Lithium batteries, but the devil is in the details. You really have to read carefully what you're getting. YOU MUST READ THE POWER RATING! The tools that come in the packaged set-ups are often half the power output of the stand alone tools. Dewalt is famous for it. I am slowly replacing my Rigid stuff from HD with Milwaukee, but watching the power output rating on each tool. Most of the more powerful tools are only $20 more or so. Buyer beware.

Got a turkey bird last weekend. Snow still in the woods, but the birds were talking - well, except one of them. 3.5" of #4 Winchester Longbeards thru a Winchester Longbeard choke delivered the goods at 45 yards. 10.5" beard, 1.25" spurs. Breaded and deep fried some nuggets and bacon wrapped jalepenos with the rest. Very good. So was the perch, walleye, and venison backstraps. No vegetables on this trip - 'cept for the potato chips. Trout fishing was a bust. Water was too high and too cold. How do I know this? An early May swim told me so. Water over the hippers. The boys still haven't dropped.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Northern_Jim

[Linked Image]

My guess new roof vent along the peak?

Up in your neck of the woods last week. Spring has to be 2 weeks behind.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Went up with a crew of friends to replace the original roof. Plan was to tear off one side and shingle to the peak. Do the same on day 2, finish up on day 3. Everything going as planned at this point.

[Linked Image]

Then someone stepped on the ridge cap & I heard a lot of UH-OH's & it got worse from there. Yes, lack of ventilation and insulation up to the ridge in a that small space caused lots of rot and a lot more work. Murphy's law. I had planned to add vents and had extra 2x6's but not nearly enough to repair all that. My neighbor had a whole stack of 2x6 cut off's that allowed us to repair everything without several hours driving into town & back. What was the chance of that? Sometimes even I get lucky.

[Linked Image]

Set us back a little less than one day. Put a bigger gable vent in and several roof vents on the other side. Spent the rest of the week fishing. It's good to have friends who are handy & like to fish a lot.

[Linked Image]

Very happy with the finished product but glad I didn't have to depend on a single battery operated circular saw to cut all those 2x6"s!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Congrats on the thunder chicken Charrie Trotfox!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Those brushless battery powered tools are the bomb. More work with less battery. Newer technology. Lots of power with the Lithium batteries, but the devil is in the details. You really have to read carefully what you're getting. YOU MUST READ THE POWER RATING! The tools that come in the packaged set-ups are often half the power output of the stand alone tools. Dewalt is famous for it. I am slowly replacing my Rigid stuff from HD with Milwaukee, but watching the power output rating on each tool. Most of the more powerful tools are only $20 more or so. Buyer beware.

Got a turkey bird last weekend. Snow still in the woods, but the birds were talking - well, except one of them. 3.5" of #4 Winchester Longbeards thru a Winchester Longbeard choke delivered the goods at 45 yards. 10.5" beard, 1.25" spurs. Breaded and deep fried some nuggets and bacon wrapped jalepenos with the rest. Very good. So was the perch, walleye, and venison backstraps. No vegetables on this trip - 'cept for the potato chips. Trout fishing was a bust. Water was too high and too cold. How do I know this? An early May swim told me so. Water over the hippers. The boys still haven't dropped.

That's a good one there! Congrats

Page 1,753 of 1,842 1 2 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,794
Posts18,477,352
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.