Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
for those of you who are stating that “ballistic reticles are faster”..... are you advocating taking 400+ yard shots at big game animals that require immediate “point and shoot” reactions?

If so.... please explain.... what’s the amount time between spotting the game, to the time the shot must go off? 3 seconds.... 5 seconds.... 10 seconds? And, is the loss of precision.... worth the return in “speed”?

Fair question.

I'd not advocate snap shooting at anything past 250 or so without knowing the approximate range. Where I find the BDC reticles to be useful and fast, I already know the approximate distance the moment the animal walks out. These are generally large pipeline right-of-way box stands that I've hunted for years. Some are stands in pastures. Landmarks are pre-ranged by LRF and some even have yardage signs driven in the ground. Our bucks don't generally hang out for long in the open, and it's handy (not foolproof though) to be able to see a big silhouette step out and know "he's just over 300" or something to that effect, as you get him in your scope and brace up for a shot. Sometimes, many times actually, a deer will not even check up as it crosses the line. I've flung bullets at 300-450yd walking pigs and connected, but I'm not doing that with a deer. So....for this particular application, where distances are already roughly known, dots/hashes that line up with the markers/landmarks on the ground can be fairly fast and reasonably precise for a target the size of a basketball.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Originally Posted by JGRaider
Leupy B&C, 7mm08/140 AB's running 2800. Sight in 2" high at 100 (215 zero) and holdovers work perfectly at 300,400,450,500.

Yep, the B&C was designed by a simpleton (that would be me) who owns part of the patent.

It works … PERIOD, if the hunter cares enough to spend the time in learning how to use it.

The Boone & Crockett reticle was probably my most important contribution I made to the common hunter. Less than some and a lot more than most grin

God Bless.

Steve

Steve, I did not know that about you, but IMO you did an outstanding job with it. This coming from a died in the wool duplex reticle user for the first 40 years of my hunting life. The B&C is accurate, simple, uncluttered, and very easy to work up loads that jive with the holdovers. Nice work Steve, and thanks. Hope you are enjoying your retirement as well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Leupy B&C, 7mm08/140 AB's running 2800. Sight in 2" high at 100 (215 zero) and holdovers work perfectly at 300,400,450,500.

Yep, the B&C was designed by a simpleton (that would be me) who owns part of the patent.

It works … PERIOD, if the hunter cares enough to spend the time in learning how to use it.

The Boone & Crockett reticle was probably my most important contribution I made to the common hunter. Less than some and a lot more than most grin

God Bless.

Steve

Steve, I did not know that about you, but IMO you did an outstanding job with it. This coming from a died in the wool duplex reticle user for the first 40 years of my hunting life. The B&C is accurate, simple, uncluttered, and very easy to work up loads that jive with the holdovers. Nice work Steve, and thanks. Hope you are enjoying your retirement as well.

Yes Steve did an outstanding job, I bought my first Leupold with the B&C reticle about 15 yrs ago. Over the years I've tried others and keep coming back to the B&C reticle. My last two purchases have been Leupold VX6 HD with B&C reticle. Hunting in the south , deer or rutting bucks are on the move and cross power lines, small fields, or come out in cow pastures and never check up. Like said above I always pre range land marks so I have a pretty good idea of the range and using the B&C reticle along with my Leica range finder works well. This is what I practice with so this is what I'm comfortable with also.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

If you’re thinking a ballistic reticle is going to allow you to clobber a bull at 488 yards, in 3 seconds, holding the “third dot down just a touch high”..... then you might be a “touch high”.

Nah, a ballistic reticle works just fine for that purpose. Elk are big targets.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dog shooter nailed it.

I like the ballistic reticles in fixed or FFP scopes. You still need to go out and practice. Even with that, I feel they are best used 400 yards and in.

Turrets are much better for pinpoint accuracy.

Arcus Venator
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by CRS
Dog shooter nailed it.

I like the ballistic reticles in fixed or FFP scopes. You still need to go out and practice. Even with that, I feel they are best used 400 yards and in.

Turrets are much better for pinpoint accuracy.

Depends on what ballistic reticle you are talking about. Any of the ones that are in MOA or mills can be just or at least almost as good as dialing...A MOA is MOA weather it is dialed or depicted in a reticle.

And I think a reticle does have the advantage of having the animal visible in your scope while lining up.

I shot a mulie this year with my .260 at 408 yards once he was ranged I looked through the scope put the proper MOA hash mark and he was dead.

I will say any of them need a lot of practice. Hundreds of rounds were fired before that mulie died .

Lefty C

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Lefty C. I agree reticles can be quite good. It it’s all the ranges between the tick marks, 437, 469, etc. where dialing offers a little more comfort though. For me anyway. I like the reticles in closer, and dialing out further. Oddly, that’s exactly how my bow sight works. Fixed pins to 40, dial a pin for longer.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Yep, the B&C was designed by a simpleton (that would be me grin grin) who owns part of the patent.

God Bless.

Steve

If you have any sway with Leupold and you could convince them to put the B&C reticle in a 6x42 or 6x36 that would be awesome!

Best to you on this fine Mother’s Day.

v/r
Joel

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
both reticle holdover and "turret" twisting are subject to "cone of fire" of the rifle/load combination one chooses. If the cone of fire is within the dimensions of the target area. then deviations in load ballistics and wind dominate

If the scopes turrets aren't mechanically repeatable and accurate to the degree of register (1/4, 1/2 moa or 1/10 mil) the accuracy is not equal to a hold over reticle which is a parallax situation.

most scopes do not have accurate enough "turrets"--- if you've done these repeatability tests great.

most complaints against reticle holdover arise from " the reticle hold over not being in whole unit lengths"

Hmm now if a scope maker could just make a scope so the power ring selector had click stops

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

Yep, the B&C was designed by a simpleton (that would be me grin grin) who owns part of the patent.

God Bless.

Steve

If you have any sway with Leupold and you could convince them to put the B&C reticle in a 6x42 or 6x36 that would be awesome!

v/r
Joel

Yes please! Or at least bring back the Long Range Duplex in those scopes!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

God Bless.

Steve

v/r
Joel

Yes please! Or at least bring back the Long Range Duplex in those scopes!

Friends,

Sorry, but I am totally disassociated from Leupold now.

No sway here, but they would make grand combinations.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

If you’re thinking a ballistic reticle is going to allow you to clobber a bull at 488 yards, in 3 seconds, holding the “third dot down just a touch high”..... then you might be a “touch high”.

Nah, a ballistic reticle works just fine for that purpose. Elk are big targets.

Unless I messed the sarcasm font..... I figured you were a little more judicious than that.

They are big targets.... but there’s also a lot of places to “hit” an elk, that lead to bad results.

If you’re gonna send a round at 1/4 mile plus.... you better hedge your bets as best you can. Floating a dot in the vicinity of where you’d like to hit.... leaves a lot to chance.... especially if you throw in a little wind.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'll dial if given time and with the right setup, but the reticle works fine in a pinch. No need to denigrate a technique just because it may not have worked for you, as it has worked well for others.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Anyone use the Tri MOA reticle? Seems like it would be relatively easy to use without having to try and match ballistics to pre determined hash marks.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’m not degenerating it... I’m saying the “advantages” aren’t really that advantageous. And, the additional precision offered by taking an extra second and dialing exact range is a significant “advantage” over floating a dot.

I’m not sure about you... but I’m not into taking quarter-mile shots in a “pinch”. Previously wounded critters are the exception here... then, use what you brung.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by aheider
Anyone use the Tri MOA reticle? Seems like it would be relatively easy to use without having to try and match ballistics to pre determined hash marks.

this is Leos constant distance moa market entry. the distance is angular , moa, instead of distance. all of these type reticles work well if you know the "drops" for your load from something like JBM

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I love dialing exact range.

hmm get the laser range finder, sight the target , check my drop card. how long did that take.?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Steve, good to know you are still kicking...

Good thread.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To each his own, but I've yet to see a good shooter buck here at 300+ that gave me or my kin time to dial a turret. Most have been taken with duplex hold-over and the range already pre-estimated. My dad and I were just talking the other day about turrets being fun, but how they often aren't that useful where we hunt. You can bring them into play with feeding does or hogs, but that's usually about it. Buck shot presentations are generally too brief. I'm sure other parts of the country have differing opportunities.

Now with even more aplomb
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Etoh
I love dialing exact range.

hmm get the laser range finder, sight the target , check my drop card. how long did that take.?

You have to do the first two with either a ballistic reticle or a turret..... so they’re invalid in the whole “time” argument.

My drop chart is on my turret, and I can see it (and adjust it) without moving my head from the stock. It takes about a half a second..... or, less time than figuring out which stadia line is which range, and where you need to hold in between which dots.

What if there’s some wind thrown in?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 28 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,501
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.