-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, but those English guns can get wore out just like all the rest. Might take a little longer. Me and some others been trying to wear this one out for about 125 years.

[Linked Image]

12 bore, 30" F&F

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
fine guns but remember, even the brits admitted that A.H. Fox knew what he was doing.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bugs4
fine guns but remember, even the brits admitted that A.H. Fox knew what he was doing.

He may have known what he was doing, but he wasn’t making fine Birmingham guns...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

This George Daw shotgun was made in 1868 and is still taking game 150 years later. You can't deny the classic lines and function of a nice English shotgun...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
British guns were refined and enjoyed the access to fine hand filers and engravers which set them apart. The Birmingham trade was sort of the stepchild of the London makers though they made fine guns as well. Fine British game guns were purpose built for their sport enthusiast which in the kingdom was driven game. Most of their 12 bores were bored for 2" shells. Their loads weren't as stout as most Americans are used to shooting. Once Jack O'Connor said that an American customer commented to an H&H representative that the self opener was hard to close to which the reply was that our clients don't close their guns.

They are beautiful works of art and one can only wonder what might have been had the American gunmakers been able to compete with their trade. Fine guns have never been cheap. Fine craftsmen have never been easy to come by.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Beautiful workmanship. Thanks for posting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
a “best”-grade 12-bore sidelock ejector with 28-inch barrels (arranged as God meant: horizontally) that was made for a former American Cabinet Secretary.

Laughing.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Woodward, Boss over/under is quite possibly the best ever made. I am not privy to what God intended but I shoot O/U's a lot better than I do the side by side. All that rannygazoo about holding the barrels down and back against the standing breech is done underneath in the shallow framed Woodward.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert
I'm thinking the same, or more, money would be required for that pair - as to pay off the remaining mortgage on my ranch.

.......... "made for a former American Cabinet Secretary"............

You pursued the wrong profession Mark.....being a thief and a liar pays better than ranching.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Has anyone in this thread ever shot a Rigby?

I once owned a Rigby magazine rifle in 303. Biggest mistake when I sold it. I've also shot a 470 Rigby Double.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Very little is as presented. Rigby thought highly enough of Basque work to put their name on guns made by Pedro Arrizabalaga. I once owned a Holland and Holland Made in Birmingham - - and sold in London. Horse traders had nothing on high grade gun makers. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want to have a very interesting few hours in Dallas visit Hollan & Holland.
Very nice staff. Knowladgeable and interested. They are not name droppers.
Great conversation and interesting inventory
Good selection of high quality new and used firearms.
Prices are what you might expect but the quality is there.
https://www.hollandandholland.com/gun-room/about/dallas-gun-room/
[Linked Image]

Slim
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The same English companies that made the "Fine English Shotguns" also made some shotguns for the working folks in the colonies. They wouldn't be called "fine", but they are still very good. This Westley Richards 12 gauge has been down the road a few times and made it back. It's going on 117 years old. It has ejectors, steel barrels and is proofed for smokeless shells. While it looks like it has been abused, and it probably has, it is still tight as ever, shoots great and is ready for another hundred years. It cost a lot less than an equivalent Fox or Parker too...
[Linked Image]

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several years ago my wife and I went to NYC for a bit. Told her the only thing I wanted to do was visit Holland and Holland.

Just showed up there one day and got buzzed up. They were getting ready for the SCI convention and were really busy. But they took about an hour out of their schedule to show me around.

Amazing. Somewhere there's a photo of me holding about a half of a Howda pair worth about as much as my house.

Carpe' Scrotum
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Steve
Several years ago my wife and I went to NYC for a bit. Told her the only thing I wanted to do was visit Holland and Holland.

Just showed up there one day and got buzzed up. They were getting ready for the SCI convention and were really busy. But they took about an hour out of their schedule to show me around.

Amazing. Somewhere there's a photo of me holding about a half of a Howda pair worth about as much as my house.

Got a major compliment there when, while waiting for my friend to return from the men's room, a lady approached me and asked me a question about their merchandise. I told her that I did not work there, at which point she apologized and said I looked like I belonged there. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The “Mozart’s” or “Handel’s”, “da Vinci’s” or “Michelangelo’s” of the gun world.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,890 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,613
Posts18,473,931
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.