Print Thread
Hop To
J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Anyone used these? My model 7 is already a fantastic shooter with handloads and factory ammo, but I’m looking to reduce the weight a little bit. I can’t find many reviews on this exact stock but it sounds like it fits the bill and at a very reasonable price. If the B&C stocks aren’t all that great I’m also looking at the HS Precision Sporter Ultralights, but they’re the same weight and $100 more. I’ve also never replaced a stock before, it sounds like these require minimal fitting, but any tips on replacing a stock would be helpful as well.

Last edited by JJWise; 02/23/19.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never replaced a Model 7 stock, as the factory stocks have always worked for me. I did replace a M 700 stock with a B&C T1 Alaskan, and really like it. It was an easy fix....just drop in with no fitting required.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Neither B&C nor HS-Precision make a truly light weight stock. What they advertise as light weight will likely weigh more than your factory stock. First, take off your stock and actually weigh it to compare to aftermarket weights. Most factory stocks, ( wood or synthetic) are in the 28-32 oz range. The lightest thing B&C sells is 28-30 oz and most of their stocks are 36 oz+. HS-Precision is even heavier. Both are good stocks but I'd not pay $1 more for an HS-Precision. B&C is just as good. But they are just best on standard weight, or even heavier weight rigs intended for varmint/tactical/target shooting. Not so much for a lightweight rig.

I've owned both HS and B&C in the past. If you want to cut weight you're going to have to pay for one of the high end synthetics made with Kevlar. A McMillan edge is 22-24 oz depending on the exact configuration. Some Brown Precision stocks can be under 20 oz. You can order McMillan through this website. Click on the "outfitters gear shop link at the top of the page. The Edge stock runs about $600. But I'd rather pay $600 for an upgrade, than $300 for a downgrade, or at best a lateral move.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Bry Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I can’t speak to the model 7, but I shaved 7oz off of a 700 laminated stock mountain rifle by replacing it with a B&C Mountain Ti. Drop in fit.
Wouldn’t be wrong to do as JMR40 suggested and weigh your stock first.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Model 7 B&C stocks have the full block so they weigh a good bit more than the Ti stocks. I weighed a friends B&C and my factory stock and I think they were both 31oz.

That said I do like the feel of the B&C stocks.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Here is one on a 300 SAUM. If I remember correctly it came out a few ounces lighter and feel much better in my hands.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you have the "older" Seven stock, they weigh quite a bit.

If you have the "newer" Seven stock from the factory, they come in at about 27 ounces. B&C and H&S aren't upgrades, nor are they lighter.

Go Brown, Mickey, or Bansner--or else just use the factory stock.

J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I finally got to weigh my stock, as is, the stock currently on the rifle is about 39.5 oz. If I go to the B&C, I’d knock off about 10oz and bring total gun weight (with scope) to just over 6.5lbs which would be great.

For $400 more than the B&C, a McMillan Hunters Edge would put rifle and scope weight around 6.2lbs. I’m not sure that’s enough of a difference to be worth the extra cost, same goes for Manners.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
better yet, sell the thing and but a kimber montana...

no stock monkeying necessary!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
IMO, there is no such thing as a "drop in stock". Sure, they will - but for best accuracy those things ALL require epoxy bedding, and some "fit".

The improvement will range from a little bit to a lot, but I've not done any that did not show improvement.

Shoot it in the "drop in" first, of course - you could get lucky and the accuracy will meet your standard.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, Aero, 308xray, 11 invisible), 1,474 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.