Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Been catching a bunch of hand sized bluegill, but have never eaten them. Are they worth messing with or keep turning them loose?

[Linked Image]

Really...Lack of experience..Saw it right off..

But feel free to ask chit like this..

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheKid
You guys that head and gut these little guys. Do you eat the skin or does it peel off after you fry them? Only times I’ve ever eaten any fish skin it was really fishy and not something I wanted to try again.

Amen from this corner.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
You guys that head and gut these little guys. Do you eat the skin or does it peel off after you fry them? Only times I’ve ever eaten any fish skin it was really fishy and not something I wanted to try again.

Amen from this corner.

Can only speak of the Alabama brim I'm familiar with. Ate hundreds probably. Nothing "fishy" about it. Goes for crappie too.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Amen from this corner.

Can only speak of the Alabama brim I'm familiar with. Ate hundreds probably. Nothing "fishy" about it. Goes for crappie too.

So you do eat the skin? I don’t know, never eaten a freshwater fish of any stripe any way besides filleted. I do know that the silver left on a catfish filet has a fishy taste if you don’t get it all off.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by logcutter
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Been catching a bunch of hand sized bluegill, but have never eaten them. Are they worth messing with or keep turning them loose?

[Linked Image]

Really...Lack of experience..Saw it right off..

But feel free to ask chit like this..

Lol, Turdcutter is back! Sorry I haven't ever lived somewhere where bluegills are a thing until just recently. Maybe you should regale us with your tennis shoe and pavement adventures. Maybe tell us about the senior discount at Denny's; you know, something you're an expert at.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Your funny...Sun Fish/Blue gills/crappy...Oh my..Are they worth it you ask?

Why fish if there not?

I miss you dude...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yep. If you scale a brim, bluegill, shellcracker, whatever and rinse them well there's just no problem far as I'm concerned. I'm in the No Batter camp too. Pat dry, dip in milk with maybe a beaten egg added and roll in corn meal or a corn meal based seafood prep. Catfish ain't brim. And for any fish with a dark blood line I skin and strip that out. Lots of folks don't like fried bluefish, but if you filet and skin and cut out the blood line that's a good fish to fry FRESH. Talking up to 3 or 4 pounds.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I ain't scaling any fish.

To easy just to fillet and be done with it.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Filet them all, no heavy batter, nothing better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So you do eat the skin? I don’t know, never eaten a freshwater fish of any stripe any way besides filleted. I do know that the silver left on a catfish filet has a fishy taste if you don’t get it all off. [/quote]

Yes, the skin (which is thin) fries up nice and crispy

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by logcutter
Your funny...Sun Fish/Blue gills/crappy...Oh my..Are they worth it you ask?

Why fish if there not?

I miss you dude...

Well, we know what you weren't doing during your absence, educating yourself. You do another stint in county? Still the cellblock push-up champion?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

The skin, and the tail fin, fried crispy, are the best part.

Not much point of coating in corn meal or blend if you don't intend to eat the coated part.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Here's how I've done it since I was about 8 years old.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Good but bony, about like perch

This is the way my family has fried them for 3 generations. After scaling and removing heads, leave all of the fins in place. Pan fry or deep fry until very brown and crispy.

When eating, first thing is gently pull out the fins and you will notice if fried brown enough, a row of tiny bones will come out attached to each fin. Discard these onto a separate plate for scraps. After fin bones are removed, use your fork to easily peel the meat away from the spinal connected bones.

This leaves large boneless bites even from small fish, works so easy even little kids can do it after being shown.
Enjoy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never heard of filleting panfish before now. Why would you want to? The main reason we fillet bigger reshwater fish is because it's hard to cook a thick fish evenly in a pan.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Never heard of filleting panfish before now. Why would you want to? The main reason we fillet bigger reshwater fish is because it's hard to cook a thick fish evenly in a pan.

Gets rid of the bones and skin. All that's left is tasty flesh.

Dip it and fry.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've had bluegill on several occasions. It's strong tasting compared to Crappie, but it's edible.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the skin, nice and crispy. And if you can't easily de-bone a panfish at the table it's under cooked. And you get all the meat that way. (need to thoroughly cook freshwater fish, they often carry parasites.)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ate a lot of skillet fried bluegills and sandbass growing up, good times!!

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ghost, Just noticed where you are at. May amuse you to know we don't even fillet smaller walleye. We do when they're too big to cook evenly, I like to leave the skin on. Easy to scale.

Which explains a lot.
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 219DW, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,865
Posts18,517,909
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.