-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Catfish in running water taste 100x better than farm raised. Give me a tabby any day.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
I catch drums pretty regular while catfishing, usually scale them and cut for bait. After reading on here that some folks down TX/LA way eat them I filleted a couple and cut the red out of them. Who would have thought, when fried they taste exactly like fish. My wife likes the stones out of their heads too for whatever reason.

Live crawfish. They are fun to catch. Fight like crazy.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I caught a monster, like 20lbs, on an ultralight with a roadrunner when I was in college. I was fishing a little creek that runs into Texoma and hammering the sandbass. All the sudden my reel is about to catch fire drag a screaming. I just knew I had a big striper that had run up out of the lake and then after 20 minutes I land this huge drum. Didn’t take a picture or anything, just conked him and pitched him off in the weeds.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by gunzo
Good gosh, sorry, but have not read all 6 pages.

But it taste fishy??????? WTF is it supposed to tasts like??????????????

I grew up eating wild caught catfish & about all the pan fish. Scaled, gutted, SKIN ON & BONE IN. It established to me what fish taste like at an early age, late 1950's-early 1960's. Times passed & farm raised fish became popular, the flavor faded. Folks de-boned, filleted, skinned & washed the flavor away.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good meal. But fishy tasting gets my attention, not swampy, but flavor, flavor that so many are missing. I rest.

I dont like fishey schiett taste from fat. My fish taste like clean fish, not fishy like fish slime. There is good fish and bad fish and most bad fish is yuk, fishy. grin

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I need to find a place to catfish around here.

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Catfish in running water taste 100x better than farm raised. Give me a tabby any day.

Yes, i can taste the alfalfa in farmed fish, esp catfish.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I caught a monster, like 20lbs, on an ultralight with a roadrunner when I was in college. I was fishing a little creek that runs into Texoma and hammering the sandbass. All the sudden my reel is about to catch fire drag a screaming. I just knew I had a big striper that had run up out of the lake and then after 20 minutes I land this huge drum. Didn’t take a picture or anything, just conked him and pitched him off in the weeds.

Drum are good fried if big enough to get fillets out of their thin sides.

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by gunzo
Good gosh, sorry, but have not read all 6 pages.

But it taste fishy??????? WTF is it supposed to tasts like??????????????

I grew up eating wild caught catfish & about all the pan fish. Scaled, gutted, SKIN ON & BONE IN. It established to me what fish taste like at an early age, late 1950's-early 1960's. Times passed & farm raised fish became popular, the flavor faded. Folks de-boned, filleted, skinned & washed the flavor away.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good meal. But fishy tasting gets my attention, not swampy, but flavor, flavor that so many are missing. I rest.

I dont like fishey schiett taste from fat. My fish taste like clean fish, not fishy like fish slime. There is good fish and bad fish and most bad fish is yuk, fishy. grin
I can't stand fishy flavor either. Neither do I like mushy fish. Flaky, firm and mild flavored is what I want. Walleye and perch is best for that without question. Crappie is close but not as firm and flaky as I'd like.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yum great eating fish. I like to mix cornmeal/flour 50/50 for frying sometimes add ranch dressing mix and paprika to the regular salt and pepper. Just thinking about it makes want to go fishing.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I need to find a place to catfish around here.

I would pass on the catfish and stock up the freezer with "perch" fillets, GW. smile

They are a little work but only crappie and speckled sea trout are in the same league as far as fried fish are concerned.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think I've ever scaled a fish in my life.. I've fileted a few..

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
GW,

If you got a fly rod it will make your bluegill catching a thousand times more enjoyable.

+10 on this especially on top water flies or poppers, but have caught many more on soft hackles, very small leech patterns and small (sz 12) Pistol Pete's.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys that head and gut these little guys. Do you eat the skin or does it peel off after you fry them? Only times I’ve ever eaten any fish skin it was really fishy and not something I wanted to try again.

I like to leave the skin on mine. Salt the skin before frying. Fry up crispy. mmmmm good!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by deflave
GW,

If you got a fly rod it will make your bluegill catching a thousand times more enjoyable.

+10 on this especially on top water flies or poppers, but have caught many more on soft hackles, very small leech patterns and small (sz 12) Pistol Pete's.

I’ve got a 2 wgt fly rod just for that. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like to use my 3 wt but will use a 6wt for poppers especially if windy (often here in CO).

Ed

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Yes, i can taste the alfalfa in farmed fish, esp catfish.

They definitely should be grass-fed rather than grain-fed. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
You guys that head and gut these little guys. Do you eat the skin or does it peel off after you fry them? Only times I’ve ever eaten any fish skin it was really fishy and not something I wanted to try again.

I like to leave the skin on mine. Salt the skin before frying. Fry up crispy. mmmmm good!

You are making me too darned hungry. frown

I Dindo Nuffin
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by MOGC
He might be speaking of pickerel. He mentioned they were like northern pike but smaller, sounds like a pickerel. I've heard bowfin called dogfish. In the old Ozark's walleye were often called jack pike.

Yea, that's the one, Chain Pickerel. Biggest one I ever caught was about 16" long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Hell of a fighter. Voracious appetite. Sharp teeth. Dad told me to kill every one I caught. Locally thought of as a trash fish.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by websterparish47
He might be speaking of pickerel. He mentioned they were like northern pike but smaller, sounds like a pickerel. I've heard bowfin called dogfish. In the old Ozark's walleye were often called jack pike.

Yea, that's the one, Chain Pickerel. Biggest one I ever caught was about 16" long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Hell of a fighter. Voracious appetite. Sharp teeth. Dad told me to kill every one I caught. Locally thought of as a trash fish.
I love catching and eating pickerel,,, good fish,, around these parts walleye are called jack salmon if you like to gig of a nite,they have a little white diamond on their back and their eyes will actually glow a reddish color

I AM AMERICA!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by websterparish47

Chain pickerel get alot bigger than that around here. The biggest one I ever caught was 28" which is unusually large but pickerel in the 20 - 24" range are common. The meat is very good but they have the same bone structure as Northern pike so many people don't think of them as good eaters.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1minute, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1941USMC, 61 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,892
Posts18,518,350
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.