-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Picked it up on Tuesday. Quite satisfied overall; only a couple very minor nits to pick. Will post pics eventually when the "kit" is fully assembled. The last piece of the puzzle is on the brown truck for today.

Will start off with a 6x SS in Stick's horn rings, and a green laser, just for fun, on a 45 degree side mount. I've found that a laser is very handy to have on a gun you can't boresight. Yesterday, I used that same laser on my Victory to rough-zero a new red dot. After lining up the red dot with the green one, just a few more rounds had it right on the money, all in my basement. The 10/22 will have to be done at the range, but the SS makes a two-shot zero a snap.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Their ad says that the Custom Shop competition model comes with "The receiver incorporates a rear cleaning port, providing access to the barrel from the rear of the receiver for ease of cleaning." If that's the case, bore sighting is possible with this model. But, laser (since you've already got one) should be just as easy and you won't have to remove it from the stock.

I'm interested in how it does and your thoughts on it. After having built several, I'm curious as to how this one stacks up to after-market options.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not pulling it down just for that, of course.

I did the math on a build using "comp" parts from Midway, vs the street price of the Ruger. Easy choice, especially given the special receiver Ruger built for this one. It's entirely possible that someone might build a better shooter for less, but overall there are advantages to a factory-buil gun with regard to service and usually resale over a "Frankenrifle" built at home. My LGS won't even buy those anymore. Not saying building one isn't a good idea, just that the CSC is a good starting point, and might be the ending one too.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The project proceeds, but slowly, between trips to the Eastern Shore for family matters.

The SS is mounted in the Burris Signature XTR rings, which are a bit of overkill, but very nice. The laser is a no-go because of interference issues. Unless Burris comes out with a top ring with rail for the Horns, or I change scopes, that's not going to happen. Balance with the SS on top is very good.

Trigger is light, and pretty crisp after the initial take-up. Will do for now. The hard case is okay, but could use another inch of width for big scopes. All the Custom Shop trinkets may appeal to some, but I'd rather they spent the money on the case. The bolt release is a nice feature, and the extended mag release works well, after a couple of hang-ups at the very first. Don't think it'll be easy for mags to drop by accident. The adjustable comb works well, but isn't real comfortable for my face, and it's set at the lowest level for the current optics setup. There's one tiny rub mark on the top of the barrel; not a big deal, but I'd rather they let me make the first ding.

Very satisfied so far, at least until I get to shoot it; then we'll see. It will carry easy if it ever sees the woods.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fiddled a bit with the adjustable comb, and now it's fine, at its lowest setting too.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I ordered the same model and picked it up today. I paid 641.98. Taking it out in the morning. I will post pictures of groups tomorrow.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If mine does well, I'll probably pop for an accessory barrel for my CZ and turn it into a Hummer. Not much interested in squirrels since I bought a crossbow. The seasons run together, and deer are more funner.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Took my new custom shop out today. I had a breeze blowing infrequently from left to right. Groups were shot at 100 yards using make shift bench with forearm on a rest

Norma match

[Linked Image]

Federal auto match bulk
[Linked Image]

Following are green tag
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Lennie; 05/11/19.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Took my new custom shop out today. I had a breeze blowing infrequently from left to right. Groups were shot at 100 yards using make shift bench with forearm on a rest

Following are Eley match
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think if I Weigh ammo and be very ammo selective, I feel Ruger has a winner.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm not good enough at reading wind to try that, not for "record" anyway. What are you aiming with?

Hopefully, the "elder" issues I have over in the "Land of Pleasant Living" will stabilize this week and I can get mine out. I have plenty of ammo choices on hand for testing. With luck, I won't have to go too exotic (expensive) to get good groups.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I'm not good enough at reading wind to try that, not for "record" anyway. What are you aiming with?

Hopefully, the "elder" issues I have over in the "Land of Pleasant Living" will stabilize this week and I can get mine out. I have plenty of ammo choices on hand for testing. With luck, I won't have to go too exotic (expensive) to get good groups.

Pappy I put on a Vortex Viper 6x24, recent production. I understand "elder" issue as my birth year was in the 1940s. My eyes are not what they once were.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My elder issue is my 95 year-old father, who's going home from rehab this week under 24-hour care at his insistence (and on his dime), rather than to a nursing home, where he really belongs. Once he's settled, I can get back to my regular life. Been no peace here for nearly a month.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (450yukon, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 39 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,698
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.