Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I picked up a new Bergara B-14 Ridge rifle yesterday in 22-250, and in the box there is a plastic zip lock envelope with a rear base scope shim in it.

My question is: Have B-14 owners found it necessary to use the shim to get a "perfect scope base and ring alignment" as the note in the envelope states when scoping the rifle? I have used shims before, but the need has been very limited over the years, so I'm wondering if this is a common characteristic of the Bergara rifles.

I'm planning to use either a standard Rem 700 2-piece Leupold base set (with Burris Signature Z-Ring 30 MM rings) or a Rem 700 Warne 2-piece scope base set (matched up with a set of Burris Signature Z-Ring 1" scope rings) based on scope choice.

TIA...................

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1913 and 'Horn's.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I never realized there was a shim until I looked in the manual bag today. No its not necessary. I've run Talley lightweights previously and now a 20 MOA rail with Seekins rings and no problems with either.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks, Tstorm1.

I went ahead and used the Warne 2-piece bases and the Burris Signature rings and I mounted a Leupy VX-III 4.5x14 scope without a hitch. I left the shim in the envelope.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Let me know how it goes. Don't be disappointed if it doesn't shoot one hole groups off the bat, mine is a 300WM and shot under one inch and keeps getting better every range trip, currently have it down to 1.3" at 250 yards. After every trip I cleaned the barrel really well and then tried new loads the next trip. One thing I noticed is mine wants to be fed one type of brass as using mixed brass with shift the impact point an inch or so between brands. Have only tried 165/168 gr bullets so far but looking forward to trying the 180's and 200's. I like mine enough I'm thinking about selling my Tikka 270 and replacing it with a Ridge.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I plan to shoot it on Monday if the weather cooperates.

Hopefully its a shooter.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I

Here it goes: The average Bergara will OUTSHOOT another mid-price manufacturer's average gun. Period. Or, I have been very lucky with my HMR, Ridge and Stalker. Waiting for the Ridgeback in .300 PRC to come in.......

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by IceCut

Here it goes: The average Bergara will OUTSHOOT another mid-price manufacturer's average gun. Period. Or, I have been very lucky with my HMR, Ridge and Stalker. Waiting for the Ridgeback in .300 PRC to come in.......

You might be right. I currently own 4 other 22-250 rifles and have had others previous to that, and this Ridge is a dandy.

I took it to the range today and shot it 30 times using some cheapo REM/UMC 50 grain HP ammo that I bought as emergency back-up this past winter for coyote hunting.

The pictures are of rounds 26-30. Other groups were comparable in size, but this was the best group overall. The first target picture is a 5 shot group wth a quarter to show relative group size at 100 yards. Before someone asks why I'm shooting 4 shot groups, there are five bullet holes there. If there isn't, one shot missed the entire target at 100 yards.

[Linked Image]

The second photo of the same group taken from a bit more distance from the target without the quarter in place shows that I wasn't hiding a fifth shot behind the quarter..... laugh

[Linked Image]

The barrel cleaned up quickly and easily and it is a very smooth feeling barrel. BTW - it has a 1 in 9" twist barrel. Next task is to try some hand loaded 55 and 60 grain bullets. Overall I'm a very happy camper with my new Bergara Ridge in 22-250 Rem.......................... laugh

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I like the looks of that Ridge with the heavier, threaded barrel. Obviously good things are being said about the Bergara's, interestingly enough the one question that always pops up it seems is "does it shoot as good as a Tikka'? I have never heard anyone ask about a Tikka, "does is shoot as good as a Bergara"? IMO shooting as good as a Tikka is a very tough act to follow. Not saying they do or don't, as I've never shot one.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I like the looks of that Ridge with the heavier, threaded barrel. Obviously good things are being said about the Bergara's, interestingly enough the one question that always pops up it seems is "does it shoot as good as a Tikka'? I have never heard anyone ask about a Tikka, "does is shoot as good as a Bergara"? IMO shooting as good as a Tikka is a very tough act to follow. Not saying they do or don't, as I've never shot one.

Two of my other 22-250 rifles are stainless Tikka T-3's. One has a 1 in 14" twist barrel (IIRC) and the other has a 1 in 8" twist barrel. Both shoot comparable size groups to these with selected hand loads, but neither one has ever shot factory ammo this well. Maybe I found this rifle's Holy Grail with the factory ammo, but I'm betting it gets better with hand loads. Maybe not.........

But either way, I'm very happy with how it performed today.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It'll get better with the handloads. Mine came down little by little as I adjusted charges and seating depth. Keep the barrel clean as you work it in and I bet you'll find the sweet spot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,628
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.