Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dess
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The Tesla may be great stoplight to stoplight, or even city to city. But it can not get down the last mile of my driveway six months of the year.

And if one tried, they could just haul the thing to the salvage yard after the attempt.

Just think of the winch it could run with all that battery power. smile

It'd be downright UBER!

FJB & FJT
GB1

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by qwk
The Tesla may be great stoplight to stoplight, or even city to city. But it can not get down the last mile of my driveway six months of the year.

And if one tried, they could just haul the thing to the salvage yard after the attempt.

How sure are you of this statement? Put your money where your mouth is???

I am pretty damned sure. During the winter. It would be hung up in 30 inch deep snow drifts. In the spring it would be high centered in eight inch deep ruts, and in the summer it would have the bottom knocked out by eight to ten inch river rocks laying in the middle of the road, left over from filling the ruts during spring thaw.

But hey, if you have one you would like to drive out next April, I will give you directions.
Yeah,Boise area weather is that bad, lol. Why next April? You said 6 months out of the year.....

Let the backpeddaling begin....

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Well, I guess you could try to get in today, but you have to pay for the damage to the floor pans caused by the aforementioned rocks. And the first time next winter that we get 2 or 3 inches of snow along with a 25 mph wind, you are welcome to attempt to navigate the drifts across the road. But when you get high centered in the drift, you can pay for your own tow truck.

I might know what I am talking about. I have only been fighting these conditions since 1956.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Well, I guess you could try to get in today, but you have to pay for the damage to the floor pans caused by the aforementioned rocks. And the first time next winter that we get 2 or 3 inches of snow along with a 25 mph wind, you are welcome to attempt to navigate the drifts across the road. But when you get high centered in the drift, you can pay for your own tow truck.

I might know what I am talking about. I have only been fighting these conditions since 1956.

I live 32 miles outside of town in cascade mountains on a 12 miles of dirt road. You're wasting your time trying to explain to someone who spends his entire life residing in the lollypop and puppy dog world who never drove outside a city.

And i lived off the grid the past 14 years here. I just laugh when the useful idiots praise wind and solar power, electric unicorns and possess zero real world experience. But the internets makes everyone an expert these days....

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Where do you live? The treasure valley weather is tropical compared to my house. Last winter we got 40" of snow in February, and I drove it 26 out of the 28 days. I currently live 4 miles off the pavement. I lived in the Boise are for 5 years, and cannot think of anything as severe as you describe, unless its a sumertime cabin in Idaho City, Lowman area.

IC B2

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by ribka

I live 32 miles outside of town in cascade mountains on a 12 miles of dirt road. You're wasting your time trying to explain to someone who spends his entire life residing in the lollypop and puppy dog world who never drove outside a city.

And i lived off the grid the past 14 years here. I just laugh when the useful idiots praise wind and solar power, electric unicorns and possess zero real world experience. But the internets makes everyone an expert these days....
Lolypop world. Fugg. The closest stoplight from my house is 50+ miles....

Off the grid sucks if you are stupid. Pards grampa spent $30k to replace his batteries 2 years ago with lead acid. It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. That money nowadays will buy you 200+ kwh storage with no maintenace to boot....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I wish I only got 40 inches in Feb

I plowed every day 1/4 mile steep driveway. I had to chain up my 4x4 to get around

Last edited by ribka; 05/14/19.
Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I wish I only got 40 inches in Feb

I plowed every day 1/4 mile steep driveway. I had to chain up my 4x4 to get around
So I'm guessin you have the the ol distilled water addin battery backup? No excuse for ignorance with access to the tool known as the internet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Internet is always right. NOT!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Electric cars are for urban soccer moms. If the technology were viable Exxon would already own it.

TFF

Never said electric vehicles would fade from the planet. It's just a joke as far as being a viable optiion in any environment other than quick, short, urban trips. I heard the same snickering when I made a comment that CNG was going nowhere as a legitimate fuel to power vehicles in spite of Apache Corp pushing it. I even saw some truck stops pour money into on site CNG fueling facilities for a while, today those fueling sites are as vacant as deflaves noggin.

Last edited by JGRaider; 05/14/19.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Internet is always right. NOT!
Especially your posts.

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Electric cars are for urban soccer moms. If the technology were viable Exxon would already own it.

TFF

Never said electric vehicles would fade from the planet. It's just a joke as far as being a viable optiion in any environment other than quick, short, urban trips. I heard the same snickering when I made a comment that CNG was going nowhere as a legitimate fuel to power vehicles in spite of Apache Corp pushing it. I even saw some truck stops pour money into on site CNG fueling facilities for a while, today those fueling sites are as vacant as deflaves noggin.

Take that from an unemployed beaner....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

TFF

March 04, 2019 12:00 AM
Big Oil taps into electric era
Charging investments give Shell, Chevron, BP affordable entry to the sector

Automakers are trumpeting their long-term intentions to forsake gasoline engines for electric motors. Big Oil hears the message and is taking halting steps to adjust its business model to survive in an era when gasoline sales could start drying up.

Full-electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles are projected to account for more than half of global light-vehicle sales, or more than 60 million vehicles, by 2040, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance. That poses an existential threat to today's vehicle fuel providers........

https://www.autonews.com/mobility-report/big-oil-taps-electric-era

Have Dog

Will Travel

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Driven by the free market or by overly onerous governments pushing their green agenda and using tax dollars as kickbacks to electric vehicle producers?

Originally Posted by wageslave

TFF

Automakers are trumpeting their long-term intentions to forsake gasoline engines for electric motors. Big Oil hears the message and is taking halting steps to adjust its business model to survive in an era when gasoline sales could start drying up.

Full-electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles are projected to account for more than half of global light-vehicle sales, or more than 60 million vehicles, by 2040, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance. That poses an existential threat to today's vehicle fuel providers........

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

TFF

I guess we can revisit this subject in 2040 to see who was right?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Crony capitalism is not a free market. Nowadays every aspect of the market is rigged. Sad but true. One is a fool to believe otherwise.
Driven by the free market or by overly onerous governments pushing their green agenda and using tax dollars as kickbacks to electric vehicle producers?

TFF

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It would seem that most of the naysayers here feel that1. Because current technology electric vehicles won’t meet the extreme demands that they, a really small percent of the population, put on a vehicle, that the idea is doomed to failure and 2. as a society we will be unable to further develop the technology necessary to make electrics work for most of the population.

I’ve no doubt that our kids will see a world of primarily electric vehicles. I don’t care, one way or the other. I like my current technology and I’m comfortable with it, but change will come.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Driven by the by overly onerous governments pushing their green agenda and using tax dollars as kickbacks to electric vehicle producers?

I don\t disagree on that. smile

Just like the solar panel, windmill " installation programs" and their forced "excess" energy buyback.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I guess we can revisit this subject in 2040 to see who was right?

Does someone need to be right?

I just posted that big oil is already involved.

Have Dog

Will Travel

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by qwk
Where do you live? The treasure valley weather is tropical compared to my house. Last winter we got 40" of snow in February, and I drove it 26 out of the 28 days. I currently live 4 miles off the pavement. I lived in the Boise are for 5 years, and cannot think of anything as severe as you describe, unless its a sumertime cabin in Idaho City, Lowman area.

That is because your four miles is heavily gravelled, and I would guess, maintained by the county, or another professional organization. Correct me if I am wrong about that.

Try a mile of unimproved dirt road cut through a farm field with no barrow pits, and a three foot embankment to catch the drifting snow.

Many, many times, I have seen snow start to fall in the evening and put chains on all four wheels of the 3/4 ton pickup so that I can get out to the pavement the next morning. And sometimes I walk in the last mile after work and fire up a 100 hp tractor to clear the road so I can get home.

And there was the morning I fired up the 3/4 ton 4x4. Put it in gear, moved ten feet from the front door of the house, and buried it to the front axle. I was two hours late to work that day after lifting the truck up out of the mud four different times with a High Lift jack.

Believe me, this ain't no place for a Prius, or a Corolla, or a Taurus, or an Impala, or a Tesla.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 54 invisible), 13,393 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,124
Posts18,542,310
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.