Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If I was deathly afraid of living where tornadoes can and do occur, I sure wouldn't live where I do. The place where my house stands is less than a pinpoint on the weather radar map and I know the chances of getting smacked are right next to 0. But still, I get this sense of unease when the radar looks like this:

[Linked Image]

This should have passed through within a couple of hours. I hope it's the last storm front of the spring (yeah, fat chance!) not only because of the twirlies, but because I do not want to spend the next 20 weekends on my tractor cutting grass.

I DO love summertime here, but that's because I spend a good deal of it submerged in cool water listening to prime music and sipping on vodka & tonic!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Before anyone asks: NO, those are not all tornadoes on the radar. They are rotation detected by doppler radar. They COULD morph into tornadoes, but these often pass nearby without ever producing a funnel.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thats a storm!

I have only ever seen a handful of tornadoes up here.

Stay safe!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RR, from where I sit and watch, the DFW area gets some of the worst storms in the entire South.

Watched it for years. If there's bad weather, you can count on it hitting there. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We flew Dallas to Baltimore once in may for a graduation... tornados around by the time we drove to the hotel the night... didn't bother me in the least, but I was hoping we could fly the next morning.

The odds are usually in your favor, but like lightning or a plane crash if you are the one... it will suck.

Hope all are safe.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ha we were looking at the same thing at the same time. I was farting around here and waited too long to start mowing my lawn. Its now raining....just a little though. Thought it was supposed to be all night long? We didn't get a drop till just a bit ago.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
River Rider,
Yes, we are east of Dallas and are closely watching the squall line. I plan to check the noon news on TV for any reports of violent weather. I agree that we do NOT need any more rain in north Texas now.
Also understand about the mowing. My west pasture has not been mowed for many months because a creek is to high to cross.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I was doing a plant start up near Dorsey, MS on 27 April 2011 when the tornado went thru Smithville, MS about 20 miles away. At the time, I was frustrated with having to shelter in place with a whole crew of high priced contractors and consultants. The next day, when I heard what had happened to Smithville, I felt about "that" big.

Since then, when I get the signal to shelter in place, I'm there...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, even in the late part of last year I swore I would never curse rain in Texas. I still enjoy a rainy day or a good storm but............man.

Stay safe everyone.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think we DO get some of the worst here in the DFW area, but so does OKC. It seems like one or the other is always the recipient of nature's wrath.

Crshelton, I hope y'all don't get hammered over that way. It seems like the area just east of Dallas catches more hell than the rest of the area, and especially when the storms go through there later in the day. I'm glad these are coming through (I'm about 20 miles north and a little west of Fort Worth) early in the day before they can pick up a lot more energy.

Where receiving moderately heavy rain right now. The streetlights are on in my neighborhood.

Last big front that came through I was home after work and wanted to finish up some work I was doing to an old rifle. I had blasted it with crushed glass, degreased it, and was in the process of applying flat black Moly Resin with an airbrush, out in my garage. It just happened to be my 64th birthday. The freekin tornado siren they installed last winter started shrieking, and I thought to myself "am I gong to die in a tornado working in my own garage, doing what I love, on my birthday?" I figured the odds were in my favor by a factor of about 1000, so I just continued and finished the job. I knew those pinheads downtown were just aching for any excuse to activate the new sirens anyway, and I'll bet there were blows exchanged to determine who was going to push the button!

The rifle came out nice, too:

[Linked Image]

Don't be the darkness.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I hope that crap doesn’t come farther south, we get tornadoes once in a while here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
I hope that crap doesn’t come farther south, we get tornadoes once in a while here.

Yeah, it needs to dry out down here.

I'm hesitant to even say that because it may be months before we get another rain...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That is the damn truth, it’s green as hell right now, but that can change in three weeks of 100 degree weather and sunshine.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Happy Birthday!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Happy Birthday!

Thanks Jim. It was a good one...my house was still standing the next day.
laugh

Don't be the darkness.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by RiverRider
If I was deathly afraid of living where tornadoes can and do occur, I sure wouldn't live where I do. The place where my house stands is less than a pinpoint on the weather radar map and I know the chances of getting smacked are right next to 0. But still, I get this sense of unease when the radar looks like this:

[Linked Image]

This should have passed through within a couple of hours. I hope it's the last storm front of the spring (yeah, fat chance!) not only because of the twirlies, but because I do not want to spend the next 20 weekends on my tractor cutting grass.

I DO love summertime here, but that's because I spend a good deal of it submerged in cool water listening to prime music and sipping on vodka & tonic!

So where do you find cool water there in the summer?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Snow and rain here today.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by RiverRider

[Linked Image]

So where do you find cool water there in the summer?

In my swimmy pool. A cheap, $600 above-ground pool that I would never be without!

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I happen to be in that storm, right now.
No golf game to watch, dish don't work in the rain.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If you don't have the link, here it is for you Wtxj:

Radar link DFW weather

Don't be the darkness.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

323 members (204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,424
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.