Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Sounds like the Paleo-Keto-WTF-0 diet.

People are weird.

Kinda like how corn killed off a pile of Indians.

JC, that Keto diet is supposed to put your kidneys into a kind ketosis...Hence the Keto name...No thanks! I’ll eat a Rabbit and a moose 😎

I guess its kind of different.....but to an EMT hearing "ketosis" is not such a good thing!

I am MAGA.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Uhhh....I think you got that backwards.

Rabbit starvation is caused by a lack of fat.....not protein.

Yup, same with Moose meat.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Rabbit is awesome eats, albeit, winter fare only in most parts due to warbles...They taste like chicken.

Any idea how long it would take for a stranded or lost person to start suffering from lack of protein the body needs eating just Rabbit?

😎

Have seen lots of cows with warbles, never a rabbit.

Warbles would not be an issue, tularemia is an issue and will kill you dead. If eating rabbits, hares, or rodents, one is well advised to become familiar with symptoms of tularemia and always wear rubber gloves when dressing such animals.

Dude, we’re all ears....Explain forth. I’ve cut hundreds of white cellos tumors out of game...What’s the signs of tularemia? I can google, but I would prefer hearing from someone who’s seen it. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Its more a point of people reading a book and then purposefully limiting the scope of their diet.

I only eat ___everything in sight____!

Sorta my diet plan. 😎

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If all you have is rabbit, cook up all the internal organs less the lower intestine including skin too(with the hair removed preferably) to get as much fat as you can out of the whole animal. Just make sure you got a pot to throw everything into to make your hasenpfeffer stew.
And wrt what Idaho Shooter said, boil the mess good to kill any bugs.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Rabbit is awesome eats, albeit, winter fare only in most parts due to warbles...They taste like chicken.

Any idea how long it would take for a stranded or lost person to start suffering from lack of protein the body needs eating just Rabbit?

😎

Warbles would not be an issue, tularemia is an issue and will kill you dead. If eating rabbits, hares, or rodents, one is well advised to become familiar with symptoms of tularemia and always wear rubber gloves when dressing such animals.

Dude, we’re all ears....Explain forth. I’ve cut hundreds of white cellos tumors out of game...What’s the signs of tularemia? I can google, but I would prefer hearing from someone who’s seen it. 😎

Fire up your google fu. I don't kill many bunnies and have not eaten a cottontail since 1976. I have never actually seen a tularemia infected rabbit. But documentation abounds.

See tularemia, rabbit fever, deer fly fever, and bacterium Francisella tularensis.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

😎

Fire up your google fu. I don't kill many bunnies and have not eaten a cottontail since 1976. I have never actually seen a tularemia infected rabbit. But documentation abounds.

See tularemia, rabbit fever, deer fly fever, and bacterium Francisella tularensis.

10-4
I thought you had first person experience...Goog is my friend.

Note: I rarely, if ever use latex gloves while working up meat in the field. Never giving a thought to contracting something bad. 😎

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

😎

How do you like to cook em, Beav?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its more a point of people reading a book and then purposefully limiting the scope of their diet.

I only eat ________!

I am on a strict seefood diet.
Whenever I see food, I eat it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sounds like the Paleo-Keto-WTF-0 diet.

People are weird.

Kinda like how corn killed off a pile of Indians.

JC, that Keto diet is supposed to put your kidneys into a kind ketosis...Hence the Keto name...No thanks! I’ll eat a Rabbit and a moose 😎

I guess its kind of different.....but to an EMT hearing "ketosis" is not such a good thing!

I thought it was ketoacidosis that was bad, and ketosis, not bad?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole

😎

How do you like to cook em, Beav?

Smoke, we shoot winter cottontails only for eats...I quarter them, cut out straps. Wash and dry each piece. Cover pieces in flour infused with salt, pepper, and Jhonny’s seasoning.

Cast iron pot with oil or Crisco at a temp about 375*...Dunk pieces for 12-15 minutes, then pull and put on a paper towel to drain.

Real mashed potatoes are cooking at the same time along with a sauce pan of gravy...This is one way, I make them.

The other is same as above, except I fry pieces in the cast iron pan instead of deep frying. When pieces are almost done, I pour gravy into the cast iron pan, cover and let the Rabbit baste in the gravy for a few minutes.

Mashed tatoes is still my side dish for cooking rabbit, and gravy of course.....😎

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well, there will be no rabbit starvation for you!

Sounds like you might get just a bit of necessary fat eating em like that!

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
We have our first batch of rabbits weaned.

Will finish them on barley.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by steve4102

No way? Moose will kill you too? Don’t all game animals have a low fat content. Lewis & Clark and company survived on venison and elk until they got to the Pacific NW and injuns hooked them up with salmon, clams and crab...😎

L&C weren't that keen on salmon. Dogs on the other hand weren't safe around the Corps of Discovery.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Yep.

Fry 'em in lard and make gravy from the pan spoils. You'll get enough fat.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rabbit meat in some countries was referred to as "GUME".....as it gave way to the old saying.....hare today.,....gume tomorrow!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by steve4102

No way? Moose will kill you too? Don’t all game animals have a low fat content. Lewis & Clark and company survived on venison and elk until they got to the Pacific NW and injuns hooked them up with salmon, clams and crab...😎

L&C weren't that keen on salmon. Dogs on the other hand weren't safe around the Corps of Discovery.

Steve, I just read that....Clark supposedly didn’t dig on eating the K9. Something akin to eating his best friend...😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

JC,
Not sure how you’re planning to eat your hares...The way I posted, is easy, inexpensive and delicious. Tastes like chicken 😎

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I suspect that we are gonna get familiar with all known methods of cooking rabbits.

We have two does. They produce protein at an astounding rate!

I will for sure try your method!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lewis & Clark and company survived on bears too.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 222ND, 2003and2013, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,790
Posts18,477,303
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.